Hacksaw Ridge (2016 - Movie) Official Clip – “Rescue”

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Saw this today. It was a good story but unnecessarily gory. At times at least as intense as the opening scenes from Saving Private Ryan, but not as was well directed. Doss was a very courageous solider.

Garfield did a fine job of portraying this complex character. The rest of the cast was okay but Vince Vaughn was miscast as the Platoon Sergeant.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Looks like a movie I will skip. Not big on blood and guts. Not a Mel Gibson fan either. Thought he was finished but apparently not.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Looks like a movie I will get on Blu.
...Not because of Mel Gibson and the blood and violence but because of peace, true honor, reality, real people, standing for what you believe in good, and all that jazz. ...For Desmond Doss, his real true story, him.

"The world premiere of Hacksaw Ridge occurred on September 4, 2016, at the 73rd Venice Film Festival, where it received a 10-minute standing ovation. The film was released in Australia on November 3, 2016, by Icon Film Distribution and in the United States on November 4, 2016, by Summit Entertainment. at the 73rd Venice Film Festival on September 4, 2016, where it received a 10-minute standing ovation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacksaw_Ridge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss
_______

"The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Private First Class Desmond Thomas Doss, United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action above and beyond the call of duty from April 29 – 21 May 1945, while serving with the Medical Detachment, 307th Infantry Regiment, 77th Infantry Division, in action at Urasoe Mura, Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands. Private First Class Doss was a company aid man when the 1st Battalion assaulted a jagged escarpment 400 feet high. As our troops gained the summit, a heavy concentration of artillery, mortar and machine gun fire crashed into them, inflicting approximately 75 casualties and driving the others back. Pfc. Doss refused to seek cover and remained in the fire-swept area with the many stricken, carrying all 75 casualties one-by-one to the edge of the escarpment and there lowering them on a rope-supported litter down the face of a cliff to friendly hands. On May 2, he exposed himself to heavy rifle and mortar fire in rescuing a wounded man 200 yards forward of the lines on the same escarpment; and 2 days later he treated 4 men who had been cut down while assaulting a strongly defended cave, advancing through a shower of grenades to within eight yards of enemy forces in a cave's mouth, where he dressed his comrades' wounds before making 4 separate trips under fire to evacuate them to safety. On May 5, he unhesitatingly braved enemy shelling and small arms fire to assist an artillery officer. He applied bandages, moved his patient to a spot that offered protection from small arms fire and, while artillery and mortar shells fell close by, painstakingly administered plasma. Later that day, when an American was severely wounded by fire from a cave, Pfc. Doss crawled to him where he had fallen 25 feet from the enemy position, rendered aid, and carried him 100 yards to safety while continually exposed to enemy fire. On May 21, in a night attack on high ground near Shuri, he remained in exposed territory while the rest of his company took cover, fearlessly risking the chance that he would be mistaken for an infiltrating Japanese and giving aid to the injured until he was himself seriously wounded in the legs by the explosion of a grenade. Rather than call another aid man from cover, he cared for his own injuries and waited 5 hours before litter bearers reached him and started carrying him to cover. The trio was caught in an enemy tank attack and Pfc. Doss, seeing a more critically wounded man nearby, crawled off the litter; and directed the bearers to give their first attention to the other man. Awaiting the litter bearers' return, he was again struck, by a sniper bullet while being carried off the field by a comrade, this time suffering a compound fracture of one arm. With magnificent fortitude he bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards over rough terrain to the aid station. Through his outstanding bravery and unflinching determination in the face of desperately dangerous conditions, Pfc. Doss saved the lives of many soldiers. His name became a symbol throughout the 77th Infantry Division for outstanding gallantry far above and beyond the call of duty."

Doss received the following decorations and awards:

- Medal of Honor
- Bronze Star Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster and "V" Device
- Purple Heart with two Oak Leaf Clusters
- Army Presidential Unit Citation
- Meritorious Unit Commendation
- Good Conduct Medal
- American Campaign Medal
- Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with three ?3?16" bronze stars and arrowhead device
- World War II Victory Medal
- Philippine Liberation Medal with one ?3?16" bronze star
- Combat Medical Badge

Check his wikipedia page (link) above for Other honors and recognition.

* I was going to start a thread about this movie, till I found this one.

War is gory; no one can escape that. War is the worst thing that is created by the human race, and it's ugly, very.
This guy, Desmond Doss who during the Battle of Okinawa, became the first and only conscientious objector to receive the Medal of Honor for actions above and beyond the call of duty in World War II, was a very special man, ...the more I read about him the more I realize it. I will get the Blu-ray when it comes up, definitely.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I loved this movie. I enjoyed it much more than La La Land, though I liked Emma Stone in that film.

I normally don't enjoy war scenes because they tend to repeat themselves, so Platoon aside I did not enjoy many of the well-known war films like Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, Hurt Locker, etc though I found them ok. But here the war scenes were really good - the sound effects and the impacts were enjoyable too.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
There was one or two gory traumatic blips that seemed a little out-of-place/fake. But overall it's a decent movie, good acting. It's not amazing or such, as it's pretty simple. It will tug on your emotions though for sure, as the main character is a truly amazing human.

I think I would have fell asleep if it were not for Vince Vaughan. He made the movie more enjoyable and I liked him to be more serious.

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
There was one or two gory traumatic blips that seemed a little out-of-place/fake. But overall it's a decent movie, good acting. It's not amazing or such, as it's pretty simple. It will tug on your emotions though for sure, as the main character is a truly amazing human.

I think I would have fell asleep if it were not for Vince Vaughan. He made the movie more enjoyable and I liked to him be more serious.

Wow, I thought Vaughn was totally miscast and was terrible in this part.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
He might be low on the rung for desired officers to train people in boot camp, during times of non-war. Someone like him wouldn't have a regular job training the greenies, but when they're in need of enough people to issue a draft, it's to be expected to have all sorts of people that will continue on into war with their trainees. During non-war time the boot camp officers don't leave boot camp. Soooo honestly I think it seemed perfectly ordinary given the different workings during war time.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I did a Redbox rental of Hacksaw Ridge yesterday to see what it was all about.

Have to admit my original (uninformed) impression was incorrect. Mel Gibson did an very good job with this movie.

I was not familiar with the Desmond Doss story and how this conscientious objector saved the lives of so many during the battle for Okinawa in WWII. It was an incredible story. Andrew Garfield's portrayal of Doss was quite good as well. Even Vince Vaughn was credible in his role.

So, my apologies to Mel for misjudging both him and this movie.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Well I picked up the DVD and really liked the story. Thought Vaughn was fine as Sarge. As strange as it may sound but the char that sticks out for me is an unrecognizable Hugo Weaving as Doss's WW1 damaged father. The story is certainly worth a view if you can but up with the gore and brutality of war.
In a way it reminded of Sgt York that I saw growing up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing