Why 'Deadpool 2' Is Falling Apart

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Its funny. Have the DVD but never watched it.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Good. I'd like to see a second, but the first nearly drifted too far from the comics for me to like it. Deadpool is one of my favorite characters, and I have huge respect for Ryan Reynolds trying not to **** on the fans. Marvel seems like they're extremely gifted at ruining characters except when it comes to the Avengers. On the whole I'd call the X-men related ones a massive failure wrought with repugnant changes from the comics.

It seems like the studios aren't smart enough to follow the fan base, but when they inadvertently do, they have massive success.

Punisher is another one that could be ludicrously good, if done well with good writers. Thomas Jane wants it to happen, so much so he made this awesome short movie, and Ron Perlman even joined in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

Last edited:

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
Did a double take here for a second, got it confused with the Clint Eastwood movie 'The Dead Pool' and wondered if Dirty Harry was really coming back. Just a normal geriatric moment...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Good. I'd like to see a second, but the first nearly drifted too far from the comics for me to like it. Deadpool is one of my favorite characters, and I have huge respect for Ryan Reynolds trying not to **** on the fans. Marvel seems like they're extremely gifted at ruining characters except when it comes to the Avengers. On the whole I'd call the X-men related ones a massive failure wrought with repugnant changes from the comics.

It seems like the studios aren't smart enough to follow the fan base, but when they inadvertently do, they have massive success.

Punisher is another one that could be ludicrously good, if done well with good writers. Thomas Jane wants it to happen, so much so he made this awesome short movie, and Ron Perlman even joined in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

I agree. FOX butchered the character and relationship timelines but worst of all sold out and made Wolverine the central character when from day one it has been about the pseudo father and son relationship between Chuck and Scott, Scott and Jean and given Cable's parentage, Scott and Madeline. In other words, Scott is even more pivotal than Chuck. The reboots did too little to fix this. By turning Scott into a second stringer they just threw away their chances of creating the backdrop for the Messiah Complex arc, IMO the darkest, meanest, most compelling Arc since the Pheonix saga. For you non-geeks out there this is basically the point where Scott veers away from his goody two shoes ways and organizes a team for preemptive strikes using the baddest melee mutants. Basically Black Ops Mutie style. No Messiah, no M-day. No M-Day no Avengers vs X-Men when the contracts are up. Sad.

I don't see how they will introduce Cable without first letting Sinister's entry play out first as hinted at the end of Apocalypse.

The bright spot for Fox may just be Jackman's swan song as Wolvie. Logan is going to be Rated R and appears to be post M-day. Question is, who is the little girl? Is it Laura or is it Faith?

Bottom line is that every X movie to be true to its darker cultural undertones needed to be R Rated. Thank's to Deadpool, the possibility of this going forward just got a little bigger. I hope the suits will stop screwing everything up.

Geek, out!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Apocalypse was a historically putrid excuse for a movie where they vomited pus all over the character. I was pumped when I heard they were bringing this mofo to this screen.

Apocalypse.jpg

Instead we got this wiener with astranged powers that are unrelated, in purple makeup.

MTE4MDAzNDEwOTgzNjE4MDYy.jpg

Jack, it sounds like we have some similar thoughts. You probably know more than I do. But we both know there's so many rich story arcs that would make amazing movies... but we get amazing disappointments. The only thing I really enjoyed immensely from X-men was "don't you know who I am! I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!!" Well, and I'm fan of Vinnie Jones. (Original source, Charles Xiaver is his step brother)

What's the deal with the contracts?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Marvel/Disney owns everything except Spiderman (Sony) , X-Men (FOX), not sure who has the rights to FF4 but does anybody really care? :D

The deals were struck when Marvel was in bad financial shape prior to the Disney's purchase of Marvel. Sony loaned Spidey to Disney for Civil War. The Fox vs Disney thing is a real mess and is all over the MCU and has crept into both the books, TV down to toys and merchandising. Disney can't even use the word "mutant" so Scarlet Witch (Olsen) is called "enhanced". So not only do we have a mutant avenger not recognized as one, we got two versions of her brother Pietro (the dead one in Age of Ultron and the funny one from 1st class and Apocalypse. Nerd Alert: These two are kids of Magneto. To make things worse since Mutants are a no-no in Disney territory they had to come up with some explanation so they turned to The Inhumans/Terragen mists (Agents of Shield) to create cover for origin stories. WTF right?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The first original Deadpool, my very brief BR review the day after I watched it:
? http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-what-was-it-*&p=394886&viewfull=1#post394886

So I would love to stay with that theme/team. And add (((3D))) on top.
_____

@Ron: Watch your DVD, you'll see how different comics can be. :b Because it is hilariously over-the-top humor/violence/language wise.

@Folsom: Me too I want to see more Deadpool; Ryan redeemed himself in that one...compared to the awful Green Lantern (2011).
- The Punisher (2004), I liked. Thx for the video clip. And them two actors, Thomas and Ron; thumbs up.
- X-Men: So many of them, it varies a lot, but some of the visual special effects, and sound effects too, I really like; they put $$$ and art into it, no doubt.

@Richard (opus): Good one. :b

@Jack: You know some of your comic books man. :cool:
- If they would make all the X-Men flicks x-rated they'll lose money @ the box office; not FOX's financial movie philosophy.
- With Deadpool FOX was on track.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Content production is our business and livelihood Bob. Study of best practices of the companies that have had the best success over multiple platforms is mandatory :) I just happen to retain a lot of this stuff in my memory. The X-men however have been of particular interest to me since I was a kid because it has always been built on social issues (mainly gender, race and nuclear proliferation) as opposed to just having good guys vs bad guys as it reflected the times of its conception in the mid-60s moving forward to today. That's why I'm so pissed that they basically sold out and use these issues like cheap canvass backdrops on a vaudeville stage.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yeah WTF, I was wondering why they wrecked the family's story so bad.

I'd love it if they did Thor into a three movie series from this story arc, which IMO is epitome of Thor, especially since his other independent stories were lame... but following this Arc they turned Thor into a girl and stuff and it just got stupid. (I'd be tempted to say four movie series but honestly they'd probably have no luck getting anyone, let alone a Hemsworth to do more than three)

We'll never see World War Hulk, which would be a few part series... I thought him challenging Black Bolt to scream at him and showing up with him dead/knocked out, and then ultimately winning against the Sentry at full strength, with the power of thousands of exploding suns being exerted, was pretty baller. Maybe it wouldn't be the best arc for a movie, but it was a great comic series.

Maybe the new Guardians of the Galaxy will be good? The only weird thing was making Ronan a bad guy in the first one. They also made Drax a little weak, given that while not as strong he's capable of killing Thanos who has has few equals, most of which can't/won't use their capabilities to even be able to fight him.

Old Man Logan, might be ok, pretty tough though since they're so good at ruining X-men stuff. The movie Wolverine was so bad... how do they account for cutting off his claw? What moron thought that would be useful for the movies?

Maybe we'll get lucky and all the actors will read enough comics to start rejecting all the blasphemy, like Ryan Reynolds, and they'll have to make good stuff.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Content production is our business and livelihood Bob. Study of best practices of the companies that have had the best success over multiple platforms is mandatory :) I just happen to retain a lot of this stuff in my memory. The X-men however have been of particular interest to me since I was a kid because it has always been built on social issues (mainly gender, race and nuclear proliferation) as opposed to just having good guys vs bad guys as it reflected the times of its conception in the mid-60s moving forward to today. That's why I'm so pissed that they basically sold out and use these issues like cheap canvass backdrops on a vaudeville stage.

So, you knew about this guy too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northstar

And of course: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool_(film)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hulk is tricky since most of the conflict is internal. I don't think there will be another Hulk stand alone. All previous efforts underwhelmed. Disney mangled the Dark Elves arc too. I have low hopes for Ragnarrok unless they hew more closely to actual Norse Mythology. If they would commit to that, that would be kick ass and possibly out Titan Clash of the Titans. I doubt it though.

What looks like a winner is Dr. Strange out next month. Fingers crossed.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If I'm not mistaken Northstar has the distinct honor of being half of comic book history's first same sex married couple. Yup, clicked the link. That's him alright.
You Bob I imagine to be more Wolvie. Outdoorsy Canadian who likes his facial hair but loves his women even more :D

Oh I'm laughing from a good loud heart now. :D Lol

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"I don't have a phone, send a raven" LOL!

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Marvel seems like they're extremely gifted at ruining characters except when it comes to the Avengers. On the whole I'd call the X-men related ones a massive failure wrought with repugnant changes from the comics.

Looks like you didn't notice the big backlash about Johansson's character in Avengers.

Daredevil is very well made. There's likely a Punisher forthcoming through Netflix + Marvel, together with Iron Fist. After that, The Defenders.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing