Oct 26, 2016
What do you think about this?

Electric-Arc Loudspeaker - The innovative solution

Information and video link: http://vigeraudio.livejournal.com/

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I'd like to know that too. On first blush it looks very similar to plasma tweeter technology, but they say this on their website:

"Nearest to the electric-speaker sound on the type of radiation - ionophone using corona discharge as the source of the sound vibrations and operating on the basis of an electron tube. They are produced by firms and Acapella Lanshe Audio, used mainly for domestic loudspeakers above firms and mass are made. These disadvantages include high cost, inability to extreme operating conditions such as unstable network and a large vibration load. Time to the operating mode, the power consumption and the limited lifespan of the lamp and the electrode also do not relate to the merits ionophone.

Arc speaker devoid of the above drawbacks because of design features and has no direct analogues in the market sound emitters, because it lacks the mobile system, the frequency response of his uniform, and the frequency range up to ultrasonic frequencies. The market potential of its application is very extensive due to the lack of competition in this segment. It can be used in the studio and home audio systems, professional audio systems for scoring the club halls, concert venues, the potential for its use in automotive acoustics. Qualitative development of traditional loudspeakers is currently in an evolutionary dead end - with their help it is impossible to create a speaker system that has really high precision sound, which may be obtained by using an electric loudspeaker."

... this implies that they are using a different technology to plasma tweeters. Intriguing, I have never heard of this before. Time to do more googling. If I find something, I will report in this thread.

Elon Musk II

Oct 26, 2016
P.S.

Traditional ionophone and EAL are very different devices essentially.
While using a single energy transfer principle. No similar Electric-Arc Loudspeakers device is not currently commercially produced, so compare them with ionophone - incorrectly.

1. EAL is not ozone generator.
2. The device is not using corona discharge.
3. Measurement of ozone at 1 meter does not exceed the background noise.

Valid for corona discharge is needed, one electrode and the second electrode - the environment. Therefore, approaching the second virtual electrode ionized gas (plasma) cools forming O3 in small quantities, which decays in a few minutes.

The EAL electric arc has no cold zones, as it has two electrodes, between which closed the flow of electrons in the ionized gas and heated to the same temperature, prevents the formation of O3. In addition, the air flow path of the catalyst has Horn.

Elon Musk II

Oct 26, 2016
Look patent. Link to the summary is, in the main text.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Thanks for the reply. Are you in any way affiliated to the company? Your English and the English on that website seem very similar.

I had a good look at that website, and I could not find the operating principle of how EAL works. I could not find a price either. Would you happen to know?

BTW, I already own Acapella speakers - so I have a plasma tweeter.

(Edit) found this on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODZJJ6pEVqs

Last edited:

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
P.S.

Traditional ionophone and EAL are very different devices essentially.
While using a single energy transfer principle. No similar Electric-Arc Loudspeakers device is not currently commercially produced, so compare them with ionophone - incorrectly.

1. EAL is not ozone generator.
2. The device is not using corona discharge.
3. Measurement of ozone at 1 meter does not exceed the background noise.

Valid for corona discharge is needed, one electrode and the second electrode - the environment. Therefore, approaching the second virtual electrode ionized gas (plasma) cools forming O3 in small quantities, which decays in a few minutes.

The EAL electric arc has no cold zones, as it has two electrodes, between which closed the flow of electrons in the ionized gas and heated to the same temperature, prevents the formation of O3. In addition, the air flow path of the catalyst has Horn.

Based on your comments it would appear you are involved with the technology or company, especially given you handle/name. Might you be Boris? It looks rather interesting, but it looks like there certainly are some practical limits with both the SPL, frequency range, and current embodiments so far as off axis response. Most home hifi systems would benefit from at least 90 degrees horizontal. It would appear from the VA6 capabilities this is mostly a matter of the lens/waveguide optimization. The VA5Pro looks a bit more suitable but not as smooth behavior. The graphs also do not indicate smoothing applied or measurement conditions/technique.

One detail I also don't see is noise floor with zero signal input/idle state. For hifi use, a quiet background is rather important, and something I would be curious about given the integrated electronics and the method by which the operates.

Can you give some details of what dictates the low frequency and SPL limit in a device like this?

The biggest hurdle will be that a tweeter isn't of much use until it's blended with other drive units to present the full frequency spectrum.

Interesting invention though.

Elon Musk II

Oct 26, 2016
Thanks for the reply. Are you in any way affiliated to the company? Your English and the English on that website seem very similar.

I had a good look at that website, and I could not find the operating principle of how EAL works. I could not find a price either. Would you happen to know?

BTW, I already own Acapella speakers - so I have a plasma tweeter.

With these questions, better to turn to EAL author...

I'm just preparing technical material (text, video, and so on).

How do you think the author should put a video with the general principle of EAL? Of course, there may be technical details and secrets that the author would not want to provide for universal access.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Perhaps you could ask the "EAL author" to explain how this is different to plasma tweeters. We are not asking for circuit diagrams or anything like that, I just want to know how this works!

Elon Musk II

Oct 26, 2016
Perhaps you could ask the "EAL author" to explain how this is different to plasma tweeters. We are not asking for circuit diagrams or anything like that, I just want to know how this works!

I already asked him this question. Difficult technical language to translate into popular. But he promised that he would try to do it. As soon as he can.

Elon Musk II

Oct 26, 2016
For Mark Seaton and Keith_W

You ask the right questions and make the right conclusions.
The principle of operation is described in the patent. The general principle will write you an e-mail.

The lower frequency is limited by the size of the arc, the SPL is theoretically unlimited (the cost of the device), va6 enough for rooms up to 70m2. With a quick response to the pulse and high intelligibility of the device does not require a very high SPL. Angles of 90 deg for home do not need, a lot of reflections - blurred scene. The level of - 6dB - optimally 60deg. The angle is determined by the horn design. The noise is really minimal, while micro-dynamics (detail) great. EAL work about 2 years in nightclubs (va5pro) as part of the full range of acoustics, in buildings (va6).

The price will be determined after a full production run.
Please send me your e-mail for private notices on info@viger-audio.com

Sincerely and behalf of Boris G. Viger

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing