Luxman L-590AX Mark II- A Love Story

James Edward

Oct 23, 2016
Hi All,
I'm new to the Luxman forum here. About 4 months ago, I purchased the L-590AX Mark II, after having the usual audio-crazed merry-go-round of equipment over the years... Adcom separates, Moscode 402HR amp, Primaluna integrated, NAD Masters Series M3 integrated, Krell don't remember model#, Bryston top line preamp, 4BSST2 combo; etc.
I know I'm missing some along the way.
I was contemplating a pair of class D megawatt mono-blocks, and in a fit of I don't know what, I ordered the L-590AX Mark II instead- a complete opposite. 30 WPC of class A output.
My dealer said it might take a few hundred hours of break-in for me to appreciate the sound. It took about 5 seconds. I'm 56 years old, and have been pursuing great sound for about 44 of those years.
My wife has been around for 34 of those years. She's listened to all the different iterations of amps, speakers, etc. This was the first time she was overwhelmingly positive in her reaction.
Here's what I miss from having separates: nothing. I understand that the audio hobby is subjective, and there are needs/reasons to have higher power, separate components, but not here.
The sound is lush, but articulate. The bass seems to go lower than with many of my separate power amps. According to the meters, I have not yet come close to running out of power. I look forward to turning on the Luxman each day; it's like eating a fabulous piece of cake without the calories.
Thanks for reading.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats. Big fan of Class A amplification...the Forte 4, the old Krell FPB 600 series, Boulder 2000 series and Gryphon amplification. In these particular amps, I have heard a solidity and surefootedness which is breathtaking when the music gets complex, deep, powerful. And i expressly remember thinking about detail retrieval and yet an organic tonal quality. Enjoy.

Reactions: paolo

gryphongryph

Oct 12, 2017
Hi All,
I'm new to the Luxman forum here. About 4 months ago, I purchased the L-590AX Mark II, after having the usual audio-crazed merry-go-round of equipment over the years... Adcom separates, Moscode 402HR amp, Primaluna integrated, NAD Masters Series M3 integrated, Krell don't remember model#, Bryston top line preamp, 4BSST2 combo; etc.
I know I'm missing some along the way.
I was contemplating a pair of class D megawatt mono-blocks, and in a fit of I don't know what, I ordered the L-590AX Mark II instead- a complete opposite. 30 WPC of class A output.
My dealer said it might take a few hundred hours of break-in for me to appreciate the sound. It took about 5 seconds. I'm 56 years old, and have been pursuing great sound for about 44 of those years.
My wife has been around for 34 of those years. She's listened to all the different iterations of amps, speakers, etc. This was the first time she was overwhelmingly positive in her reaction.
Here's what I miss from having separates: nothing. I understand that the audio hobby is subjective, and there are needs/reasons to have higher power, separate components, but not here.
The sound is lush, but articulate. The bass seems to go lower than with many of my separate power amps. According to the meters, I have not yet come close to running out of power. I look forward to turning on the Luxman each day; it's like eating a fabulous piece of cake without the calories.
Thanks for reading.

Hi James
I really loved reading this, I have bought me a pair of Graham Audio LS 5/9 which I really like, have lately noticed a few reviews of the new 590 and must say that this amp really appeals to me, I like what I read about it having very good phone section and also a quite good headphone output, which I would use in the late hours.
Only problem is that I am not sure it is powerful enough to drive my speakers, can you elaborate on what kind of speakers you have, and how is the sound on low volume ?
Thanks.

ClausB

Mar 20, 2018
Hi James

Thank you for your thoughts on the Luxman L590AX Mk2. It was particularly relevant for me as I will be going to hear both the L590 and the L509 on Wednesday. I will post some feedback on that later in the week

All the best

David

Hi David,

Have you been able to hear both apps? What are your views on them? Thx for advising.

bach_king

Mar 10, 2018
Northampton , England
I went to hear both amps but in the event heard only the L590AX II. I was very impressed. I thought it sounded very detailed and musical with the partnering D-06u sacd player. The next stage will be to hear both amplifiers in my Music Room. The dealers system used one one the larger pairs of B&W Loudspeakers. These are quite different to my Tannoys. Watch this space and I will report back in a few weeks.

David

bach_king

Mar 10, 2018
Northampton , England
Hi James

Thank you for your thoughts on the Luxman L590AX Mk2. It was particularly relevant for me as I will be going to hear both the L590 and the L509 on Wednesday. I will post some feedback on that later in the week

All the best

David

Hi James

Following my previous post regarding the Luxman L590AX II and the L509X amplifiers. I visited my dealer to listen to both amps and the D-06u sacd player. I have to say that I was mightily impressed with both of them. They were also paired with an SME Model 20A record deck fitted with an Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge. The sound was terrific.

I found them both beautifully musical and initially I found it difficult to choose a favourite. As the session progressed it became a bit clearer. I found that the L590AX II had just a tad less control and detail than the L509X. This was particularly apparent on an sacd of the rebuilt organ of Kings College Cambridge where the subtle pedal notes were just a little confused with the class A amplifier. I must stress that this is a very personal view and may not be an issue for some.

The next step in the purchasing process was to ask the dealer to bring the kit to my home so that I could try it in my music room. This he did last Thursday and I had a most enjoyable day trying every type of musical test I could think of. The upshot was that it confirmed my first impression that I preferred the L509X which worked superbly with my Tannoy Canterbury GR’s. Tannoy and Luxman are a match made in heaven IMHO. I purchased both the L509X and the sacd player which have now taken up permanent residence in the music room.To put this decision into perspective, had I not heard the L509 I would definitely have bought the class A amplifier it was that good (to my ears)

I am now busy doing the really enjoyable bit which is getting know my record collection anew with the new gear.

What did surprise me was that whilst the Luxman kit looked a bit yesteryear is style (which I like) it was anything but old fashioned in performance - exactly the opposite in fact. All of the features work beautifully including the tone controls and phono stage. I haven’t tried the headphone amp which is the section some pundits have made adverse comments about and I probably wont as I do not listen much to headphones at home. So far then I am delighted with my new acquisitions.

Kind regards

David

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Congrats. I am a big fan of the m900u

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing