Connecting a 3.5mm Mic to an XLR interface

Absolution

Jun 25, 2016
Hi,

I found a condenser microphone that is good for my needs and budget.
The problem is that it has a 3.5 mm connection, and not an XLR.
Obviously, I would like to connect the microphone to my external audio interface (M-Audio Fast-Track), and not to my computer's built in sound card.
Is there any problem or disadvantage for using an adaptor of that kind to connect the microphone (3.5mm to XLR adaptor)? Will it make any difficulty receiving phantom power?

Sorry for the silly question, I'm fairly new to here and didn't find any "Questions not worth their own thread" thread.

Absolution

Jun 25, 2016
Finding one is not yet my problem. I just asked if it is okay to use such an adaptor for the puprose of recording with a condenser mic to my XLR interface.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You should be fine with an adapter. I'm pretty sure your mic does not use phantom power.

Absolution

Jun 25, 2016
As far as I understand, PRO BM800 requires phantom power.
M-Audio Fast Track can provide phantom power, but is there anything to consider before connecting a 3.5mm through an adaptor to a phantom power interface?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You know, it just hit me. Why not just get a new mic cable with XLRs on both ends? That solves any potential pin assignment issues for less than 10 bucks more.

I must admit that if your mic requires phantom power, this is the first time I've ever seen it with 3.5mm TRS. I don't know of any device that delivers phantom power through a 3.5mm TRS output. Interesting.

Absolution

Jun 25, 2016
You know, it just hit me. Why not just get a new mic cable with XLRs on both ends? That solves any potential pin assignment issues for less than 10 bucks more.

I must admit that if your mic requires phantom power, this is the first time I've ever seen it with 3.5mm TRS. I don't know of any device that delivers phantom power through a 3.5mm TRS output. Interesting.

Embarrassing indeed, just an hour ago I realised it is not a built in cable.
So yes, I'm going to use a female to male XLR.

Thread can be closed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing