Is selecting a turntable a faith-based initiative?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Since there is no real way to compare turntables - unless you are rich in funds and time to get everything set up in the same room and compare, is this just a matter of faith or trusting someone?

Talk to an eloquent manufacturer or an analogue expert, and if the story they tell you tickles you and the system sounds good, you pull the trigger?

Any better way to do this?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Selecting an high-end component is most of the time in part faith and truth -based , as you say. The offer is enormous and we can not consider or listen to all alternatives. At this primary phase we are strongly influenced by what have read and previous experience with the brand or type of component. I have a few sources that I consider reliable, and privately cross checking opinions and reading between the lines is a great help.

But, in general, only after a few weeks with a component I discover how good it really is - or how much I dislike it. Most probably I would give up too soon if I did not have some faith in it.

Considering the complex interaction of the turntable - room, tonearm and cartridge - I think that it is a case where you in general have great faith when you order it!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Considering the complex interaction of the turntable - room, tonearm and cartridge - I think that it is a case where you in general have great faith when you order it!

You left out a key factor, the person who sets it up :)!

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing