What are the best movie scenes to test and show-off sub-woofers?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Bass heads,

What are your favorite and best movie scenes that show off what subs can do?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Where to begin!

- Tron (the new one)
- Expendables

As for television, i have found we have a fair amount of fun watching the new Blindspot series. Just got Season 1.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, thank you!

Any particular scenes to satisfy the craving for sound?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Go to Auro 3d demos - they will have a few. Can't recall the names, but I was shown a scene where it starts off with bullets, then it gets louder and louder like an orchestra. The bass control was immense that you could sense the direction of the bullets as it whizzed past. Then there were explosions, these grew louder and louder till it all went up in a crescendo. Brilliant. The Stock Auro 3d demo disc also has possibly the best church organ you will hear - it was their selling point

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
War of the Worlds: The Pod emerging from underground, the thunder from the lightening strikes, the ferry scene...
Flight of the Phoenix: The plane fighting the sandstorm...very turbulent, powerful and uplifting upside down.
Oblivion: The chopper's landing in the stadium.
Bolt (animation.. cute doggy...in 3D): The opening scene, two minutes into, and the scene of Bolt vs army when Bolt unleashes his power of great tremor.
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World: The cannons.
Titanic (in 3D): The ship sinking, the engine's room.

All on Blu-ray of course. None is on UHD/4K...yet. Except for 'Oblivion'.
______

* There is a mouse in my house. She likes to walk on top of my subwoofer's volume control, turning it down in the process. ...Very true.
And she eats all the small audio wires. She's a smart axe, and she gets away from my traps. One of these days ...

Last edited:

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
BlackHawk Down was pretty insane on my system

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, ceasar. From what I have understood, the old "standard" used to be the helicopter scene in Jurassic Park. This is toward the beginning of the movie when the helicopter reaches the island and slowly descends down toward the helipad. This sounded great back when I had the LD of this movie. Kinda wish I had kept the disc and the player just for this.

I think my new reference would be the scene in Avatar where the humans attack the Na Vi's "Hometree" from the air, toppling it down.

Tom

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Oblivion: The chopper's landing in the stadium.

All on Blu-ray of course. None is on UHD/4K...yet.

My Oblivion is on 4K UHD Blu-Ray. Haven't watched it yet.

I thought there was a scene where a helicopter or something like that taking to the air was quite impressive in the first "Hunger Games".

At that time, the sub was near our seating position and the port towards us, so we also felt a lot of air blowing onto us!

This was quite immersive, got me thinking about how to make the whole movie experience more immersive.

Rather than just the sub experience though, I think a good demonstration is to show off the immersion with surround sound.

Dredd is great for that.

Conjuring has some scenes where voices appear behind your head - scary!

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Conjuring has some scenes where voices appear behind your head - scary!

Here's another anecdote about watching The Conjuring in surround:

I had had the idea of mounting the small Logitech satellites onto the wall with Velcro.

During a scare scene, one of the satellites fell at precisely the moment of a scare + scary sound in the movie! Talk about immersion! It took us some time to realise what happened, heart beating fast!

Actually, the velcro held: it's only the old paint on the wall which didn't.

Now imagine how a fuller immersion would be!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Gentlemen, thank you!

Any particular scenes to satisfy the craving for sound?

Tron (the new one): the motorbike scenes, and when the 'M-shaped' people mover start picking up people in the beginning of the movie when he's entered Tron

Expendables: early scenes when the motorbike rolls into the garage and also when the shotguns go off in the first action scene with the pirates

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My Oblivion is on 4K UHD Blu-Ray. Haven't watched it yet.
I thought there was a scene where a helicopter or something like that taking to the air was quite impressive in the first "Hunger Games".
At that time, the sub was near our seating position and the port towards us, so we also felt a lot of air blowing onto us!
This was quite immersive, got me thinking about how to make the whole movie experience more immersive.
Rather than just the sub experience though, I think a good demonstration is to show off the immersion with surround sound.

- Dredd is great for that.
- Conjuring has some scenes where voices appear behind your head - scary!

Correct for 'Oblivion'; I fixed it.

Oblivion (2013): In an early scene when Jack lands his chopper in the wrecked and decayed stadium, the bass as he swings it past the camera and behind the viewer is another subwoofer killer.
________

Finding Nemo (2003, in 3D): Darla knocking on the fish tank (the first ten seconds of that video clip below).

You will feel your subwoofer(s) pounding with great authority, guaranteed.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

5 suggestions here. (Better just read the video description).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Star Trek (the first of the new series)...whenever you jump to light speed.

Transformers is also very good.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I heard the Transformer movie with a custom sub that had an 18", 15" with an 18" passive that was double walled and even though it weighed close to 200 pounds, it still walked across the floor on this movie. I had to walk out of the house after about 5 minutes of that.....started to feel sick to my stomach. Though I wouldn't consider this a "reference" to test out good bass, it sure will test out what a sub is capable of. No doubt in my mind about that!

Tom

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I heard the Transformer movie with a custom sub that had an 18", 15" with an 18" passive that was double walled and even though it weighed close to 200 pounds, it still walked across the floor on this movie. I had to walk out of the house after about 5 minutes of that.....started to feel sick to my stomach.

While I was researching vibration isolation, I came across this info: the eye has a resonant frequency which is quite low, and this frequency can make you hallucinate. IIRC it's around 19Hz or less.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing