Shostakovich 15 String Quartets

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Just picked up these wonderful works performed by the Borodin Quartet (6 CD set) after having listened to them on XM radio.

So nuanced / melodic at times but tense / free form at others.

If you haven't listened to these and enjoy this genre, you owe it to yourself to audition these magical compositions.

Highly recommended.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The Borodin Quartet's has been generally acknowledged as the benchmark performance for the cycle. For a somewhat different approach I really like the Alexander Quartet, who also recorded some odds and ends to be included in their set.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Just picked up these wonderful works performed by the Borodin Quartet (6 CD set) after having listened to them on XM radio.

So nuanced / melodic at times but tense / free form at others.

If you haven't listened to these and enjoy this genre, you owe it to yourself to audition these magical compositions.

Highly recommended.

I have the 2 CD set which was recorded in the 1990's. I think yours was recording in the 1960's and 70s?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The great Beethoven Quartet, for whom Shostakovich wrote many of the quartets, dedicating several to individual members of the quartet, has recordings of most of the series. Sound is dated, but these are the authentic performances. I also have the Borodin Quartet's set (mine only has Quartets 1-13 on vinyl EMI box) as well as the Fitzwilliam Quartet (on L'Oiseau Lyre vinyl). I should get the Alexander SQ's version!

Larry

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Which version have you got? The Borodin Quartet recorded the Shostakovich String Quartets integral more than once. I own the 1979 version (Melodyia, re-issued by EMI). The sound quality is very good - I have listened to them live and I find it manages to reproduce fairly well their full bodied sound, almost large than life in audiophile terms(!). ;) I listened to them in a particularly good auditorium for chamber music and my first reaction was astonishment by the way they managed to fill the hall.

BTW, any one appreciating the quartets should get the wonderful trios.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I have the Borodin's and the Mandelring's complete set. The latter is a tiny bit less intense at times, but they accorded far better sound--theirs are SACD as individual discs, while, oddly enough, the complete set is RBCD. Here's an excerpt from a recording session:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The Mandelring sound quality is incredible on redbook.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
The Pacifica Quartet cycle on Cedille is currently my favorite for both performances and sound.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The Borodin Quartet's has been generally acknowledged as the benchmark performance for the cycle. For a somewhat different approach I really like the Alexander Quartet, who also recorded some odds and ends to be included in their set.

I saw the Alexander SQ last Thursday and told them about your comment. They were very pleased! They have a brand new CD out of the last four Mozart SQ's, recorded in May and June of this year at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley.

Larry

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Which version have you got?

Micro, Melodiya, recorded 1981. Reissued (remastered?) BMG Classics 74321 40712 - 40717 2.

Does anyone have this set and if so, what's your thoughts about sound quality versus other recordings?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Which version have you got? The Borodin Quartet recorded the Shostakovich String Quartets integral more than once. I own the 1979 version (Melodyia, re-issued by EMI). The sound quality is very good - I have listened to them live and I find it manages to reproduce fairly well their full bodied sound, almost large than life in audiophile terms(!). ;) I listened to them in a particularly good auditorium for chamber music and my first reaction was astonishment by the way they managed to fill the hall.

BTW, any one appreciating the quartets should get the wonderful trios.

I understand they recorded one last year...have you heard it?

Shostakovich - Quartets Borodin.jpg

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think that's just a hi-res reissue of one of their earlier recordings? No, I guess not; new members...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing