Is the big rig too good for our own good??

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Is it possible that audio in our homes can be too good for certain types of music??

For instance, I listen to a lot more rock and heavy metal in the car and find it a lot easier to listen to than in my home set up:eek:. I seem to get more enjoyment from this type of music on a less revealing system than I do on my home system....and i have heard this from other listeners as well!! The car system is easier to listen to with this genre of music...why??? Can a system that homogenizes, work better for some types of music??:confused: Anyone else have the same opinion...if so, what do you think this attributes to?
So, is the big rig too good for our own good....well not on music that needs this kind of resolution and transparency, BUT does all music need that???? A few questions here......hmmm.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Yes, the curse of the great system is you hear EVERYTHING that's wrong with the music/recording.

A lot of popular music sounds like crap because the recording engineers have less musical knowledge than a five year old.

Well recorded music sounds glorious.

Pop music is often more listenable in the car.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The dirty word that starts with C is about to raise its head, compression. The general understanding of compression is that it squashes the peaks. Actually the bad part about it is that make up gain brings the noise floor UP after the peaks have been brought down. This is unfortunately a necessity in noisy environments like cars. It is not surprising then that the bulk of recordings from the mid-90s onwards are geared towards this most common denominator. Now does this automatically mean it will sound awful on a big rig? IMO no not really. One just has to be mindful of one's volume setting. While we can crank up good recordings, there is a threshold for overly compressed ones. If one minds the relative noise floor which sounds a whole lot like a pervasive layer of white noise then the loss left is the excitement of peaks.In other words there's hardly any build up or flow to the song and it's just one droning piece like a story with no climax. The unexpected silver lining is that since the market for headphones has increased dramatically and competes with car stereo, producers have begun to move away from heavy compression.

Compression itself as I have said is not a bad thing per se. Just las week my daughter and her ensemble recorded a track in my music room. They were about 20 kids and a guitarist recording themselves with a simple stereo mike with a rear omni. Even in the big rig, which I think qualifies under REALLY big, some judicious use of compression lifted their little Garage Band project.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I think its a lot about not concentrating on the sound , but on the music.
Lesser systems than your carefully crafted big rig have less expectations attached and you are willing to live with compromises , so it concentrates you on the music.
I have equalisation presets in DIRAC that do make badly recorded music sound a bit better , so I can either have it warts and all for the pristine stuff , or thru rose tinted glasses for the less than prefect..best of both worlds, so to speak.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think its a lot about not concentrating on the sound , but on the music.
Lesser systems than your carefully crafted big rig have less expectations attached and you are willing to live with compromises , so it concentrates you on the music.
I have equalisation presets in DIRAC that do make badly recorded music sound a bit better , so I can either have it warts and all for the pristine stuff , or thru rose tinted glasses for the less than prefect..best of both worlds, so to speak.

Shouldn't that be the reason you play music on any system? If one doesn't then who cares.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
A lot of popular music sounds like crap because the recording engineers have less musical knowledge than a five year old.

Ding, ding, ding.....I believe we have a winner here folks.

Jack nailed the other aspect IMO

Shouldn't that be the reason you play music on any system? If one doesn't then who cares.
Hello and good afternoon to you, John. I hear you on that but there is a big difference IMO between a system that the limitations are accepted (like a car system or clock radio) and a rig that one has spent many years and dollars on over the years to get to a certain point. In the latter, one expects more.

Tom

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Is it possible that audio in our homes can be too good for certain types of music??

For instance, I listen to a lot more rock and heavy metal in the car and find it a lot easier to listen to than in my home set up:o. I seem to get more enjoyment from this type of music on a less revealing system than I do on my home system....and i have heard this from other listeners as well!! The car system is easier to listen to with this genre of music...why??? Can a system that homogenizes, work better for some types of music??:confused: Anyone else have the same opinion...if so, what do you think this attributes to?
So, is the big rig too good for our own good....well not on music that needs this kind of resolution and transparency, BUT does all music need that???? A few questions here......hmmm.

I don't have that issue. I love my home system now. Recently, I bought a number of CDs by Type O Negative. I use the car system to evaluate CDs to determine if they are worth ripping to the music server. I liked the new CDs, ripped them, and listened to them on the stereo. I couldn't believe how much better they were on the stereo. It was like different CDs. I would sit there and think, I don't remember this song in the car. Anyway, I find most everything to be better on the stereo; rock, classical, jazz, etc.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
the difference is on a lesser system , I swing along with the tunez, on my main rig , I am part of the performance..different experience altogether

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ding, ding, ding.....I believe we have a winner here folks.

Jack nailed the other aspect IMO

Hello and good afternoon to you, John. I hear you on that but there is a big difference IMO between a system that the limitations are accepted (like a car system or clock radio) and a rig that one has spent many years and dollars on over the years to get to a certain point. In the latter, one expects more.

Tom
Hi Tom and good afternoon to you as well! I certainly agree that we should expect more from our big rigs and we do, but do we stop listening to some music that was badly recorded as a result and only listen in the car or a boombox? I know I don't. My system isn't reserved for only better recordings.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Same here John but.....and yes, unfortunately there is a "but"......ya' have to admit that the enjoyment as well as the emotional response toward playback gains accolades when the recording is good and it is played back on the system versus a lesser playback method.

There are exceptions with what I will not yearn to listen too on the main rig and we have discussed this before, years ago. Adele's albums would be a perfect example. They simply sound better on the lesser playback method due to the compression and recording techniques. She sounds great flying down the highway at 60mph, windows rolled down. On the main rig.....eh, not so much. I only put her on the main rig when I am vacuuming or on the other side of the house doing household chores, if you know what I mean. Artists like Bob Marley or Mark Knopfler that have "not so desirable recordings" thrown into the mix? Different story. I guess it boils down to how much I like a particular artist.

Tom

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
In my office, with the sounds of the telephone, talking, equipment running, suction, water running, instruments clinking, I use a Symetrix compressor to REDUCE the dynamic range. The music I play is all in the computer and it plays for about four months and then I re-start it. I can't be bothered changing disks during the day and FM radio has become a wasteland in New York. The compressor serves to minimize the differences in volume between CD disks ripped into the computer which can easily be 10 dB. For popular music, jazz and broadway soundtracks it doesn't affect the music very much because the volumes are pretty constant in the individual recordings, but if I didn't use it, when classical pieces came up, which is most of what I play, the pianissimos would be inaudible and the crescendos would scare me, which isn't good when you are doing delicate procedures.

It's one thing to elect to use a compressor or to have a car stereo compress the sound because of road noise. It's another thing for the engineers to decide to compress a recording at the get-go, leaving no option for good sound for the listeners in the peace and quiet of their homes.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

For instance, I listen to a lot more rock and heavy metal in the car and find it a lot easier to listen to than in my home set up:eek:. I seem to get more enjoyment from this type of music on a less revealing system than I do on my home system....and i have heard this from other listeners as well!! The car system is easier to listen to with this genre of music...why??? Can a system that homogenizes, work better for some types of music??:confused: Anyone else have the same opinion...if so, what do you think this attributes to?

Hi Davey,

Another creative thread. :b The simple answer to your first question is NO. There are no limits.

I don't listen to crap music, so wherever, whenever music is playing it has to be harmonious with my soul or I just don't float anymore, and floating peacefully above is what I want to experience 100% of all time. Life's just too short for living below the surface. :b
* The car is a moving environment, it's good for Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Crosby-Still-Nash&Young musik...
Home is where the heart is, it's good for Classical, Opera, Chorals, Jazz, Blues, New Age, World...musik.

Lol, that's my view. To be content all the time...24/24, 7/7, 366/366. :b

What floats people's boats in their musical journey is a personal audiophile affair. It's a relationship between the music and the people...a happy relationship, the source of the essence. Nothing's too good, just no way; everything can always get better....hmmm. :b

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Same here John but.....and yes, unfortunately there is a "but"......ya' have to admit that the enjoyment as well as the emotional response toward playback gains accolades when the recording is good and it is played back on the system versus a lesser playback method.

There are exceptions with what I will not yearn to listen too on the main rig and we have discussed this before, years ago. Adele's albums would be a perfect example. They simply sound better on the lesser playback method due to the compression and recording techniques. She sounds great flying down the highway at 60mph, windows rolled down. On the main rig.....eh, not so much. I only put her on the main rig when I am vacuuming or on the other side of the house doing household chores, if you know what I mean. Artists like Bob Marley or Mark Knopfler that have "not so desirable recordings" thrown into the mix? Different story. I guess it boils down to how much I like a particular artist.

Tom

That's very well said Tom! And I agree! There is nothing better than listening to a favourite album that is well recorded and mastered on the big rig. Luckily, like most of us, I have many of those and for that I'm grateful. The Adele, Amy Winehouse, Duffy recordings and some slightly better ones like most of Bruce Springsteen's albums still get play though. The music is just so good I can easily bypass the sound quality.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi Davey,

Another creative thread. :b The simple answer to your first question is NO. There are no limits.

I don't listen to crap music, so wherever, whenever music is playing it has to be harmonious with my soul or I just don't float anymore, and floating peacefully above is what I want to experience 100% of all time. Life's just too short for living below the surface. :b
* The car is a moving environment, it's good for Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Crosby-Still-Nash&Young musik...
Home is where the heart is, it's good for Classical, Opera, Chorals, Jazz, Blues, New Age, World...musik.

Lol, that's my view. To be content all the time...24/24, 7/7, 366/366. :b

What floats people's boats in their musical journey is a personal audiophile affair. It's a relationship between the music and the people...a happy relationship, the source of the essence. Nothing's too good, just no way; everything can always get better....hmmm. :b

I cannot describe in words how ludicrous your perception of music is. In fact, I cannot understand most of this post.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
i agree with the expectations explanation.
big system, one is listening 'critically' and sometimes (a lot) we are listening to specific cables, racks, components etc, and breaking the music down into frequency bands or focused on certain instruments to analyse whether or not we can make any improvements with any potential new tweaks, adjustments, changes, new components, dreams of nos tubes...whatever. listening can become empirical if swapping things in and out. if you are 100% content with the sound, then you also know some music will work all the time and others will work none of the time. recording dependent.

on a lessor, completed system, sometimes you don't think of anything and just enjoy the music. no expectations sometimes brings you epiphanies in all aspects of life. you just don't know when as they (mostly) cannot be manufactured.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
i agree with the expectations explanation.
big system, one is listening 'critically' and sometimes (a lot) we are listening to specific cables, racks, components etc, and breaking the music down into frequency bands or focused on certain instruments to analyse whether or not we can make any improvements with any potential new tweaks, adjustments, changes, new components, dreams of nos tubes...whatever. . . .

WOW!

I don't do any of those things when I listen. I did when I was buying things but now I just listen.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
exactly.
i am at that (pretty content) stage too, but mostly due to budgetary constraints....
but some people who have access to unlimited funds will continue to be curious and be constantly wanting to evolve in the gear paradigm rather than in the music paradigm.
once you take the gear out of the equation, then the music is all that's left to indulge in. happy listening!

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I rarely listen super critically these days. I've finally got my rig setup so that I think everything sounds good and I would say that about 50% of the time I am listening to some form of Hair Metal.

I've actually been pretty impressed with how well recorded many of the original releases of these old school metal band albums were. The key here is "the original releases" of the albums. I buy the majority of my music on the Used CD rack in the few stores I have available to me localy left standing who sell Used music.

Even albums I wouldn't have expected to be well recorded like Iron Maiden have regularly shown DR values of at least 12 or better in terms of compression. I saw mention of the band Type O Negative which is one that is very impressive sounding with high DR and a very clean presentation. Bloody Kisses gets played often here :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Some people keep evolving in both worlds; the gear paradigm world and the music paradigm world.
Evolving as exploring deeper; understanding, perfecting, apprentissage (learning to develop a higher musical taste).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing