Taascam BR-20 upgrade

panreels

Aug 28, 2016
Being a long time enthusiast of reel to reel tape recorders I have notices that a lot of users of tape decks like to improve there playback sound quality by using external preamps like Bottehead, King Cello and others,

Now I’m down to two tape recorders, Teac X2000M and Tascam BR-20, I use the X2000M mostly for playback only, the BR-20 is for recording and playback, this deck is stock, has new heads and I have done a complete alignment to factory spec’s and I think it sounds great, although Greg Beron of UHA doesn’t think so, and has done some serious upgrades to improve the sound quality but without a side by side A-B test I don’t know how much, so my question is has anybody improved the sound of the BR-20 using outboard repro preamp,

One of the big problems with these outboard preamps to me is the length of cables running from the heads to the preamp, I remember back in the late 1950 they sold tape decks from Sony and Viking (I had a Viking) that were for playback only, they had no electronics in them, you would use the tape head input that many preamps and amps had back then, the biggest problem was hum and noise because of the long cable length form the heads, so wouldn’t that still be a problem today? also I notice these outboard preamp of today use tubes, dose anyone make a small solid state preamp that would be a nice option and made small enough to fit inside the tape deck so the cables from the heads could be kept short. Pete

Attachments

• pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
There are a couple ss outboard pres.
Dave Hill makes the Aria. You mention Charlie's unit. If you pay attention to the shielding on the cables, using outboard is not a problem.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Pete,

I'll wager that most outboard pre's use at least a meter or slightly more of head cable. I've never heard anyone complaining about loss of highs.

Charles

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
When Nick Doshi wired out of my Nortronics head mounted on a Technics head block he used a heavy cable that must be 2-3 feet long. His only concern was total capacitance.

panreels

Aug 28, 2016
I’m on the fence to weather I wont to do this and those of you that use outboard preamps feel there’s enough improvement in the overall audio quality to justify cost and work, it sounds like cable length is not a problem, also has anyone done this to a Tascam BR-20. Pete

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Pete,

I've also never heard of anyone who went to an outboard pre "going back". DO have a friend with two '20's and they sound "OK".

JEJEJEJ

Jan 1, 2021
Being a long time enthusiast of reel to reel tape recorders I have notices that a lot of users of tape decks like to improve there playback sound quality by using external preamps like Bottehead, King Cello and others,

Now I’m down to two tape recorders, Teac X2000M and Tascam BR-20, I use the X2000M mostly for playback only, the BR-20 is for recording and playback, this deck is stock, has new heads and I have done a complete alignment to factory spec’s and I think it sounds great, although Greg Beron of UHA doesn’t think so, and has done some serious upgrades to improve the sound quality but without a side by side A-B test I don’t know how much, so my question is has anybody improved the sound of the BR-20 using outboard repro preamp,

One of the big problems with these outboard preamps to me is the length of cables running from the heads to the preamp, I remember back in the late 1950 they sold tape decks from Sony and Viking (I had a Viking) that were for playback only, they had no electronics in them, you would use the tape head input that many preamps and amps had back then, the biggest problem was hum and noise because of the long cable length form the heads, so wouldn’t that still be a problem today? also I notice these outboard preamp of today use tubes, dose anyone make a small solid state preamp that would be a nice option and made small enough to fit inside the tape deck so the cables from the heads could be kept short. Pete
Do you still have this deck for sale?

skywaveTDR

Mar 26, 2021
I have not been a fan of outboard preamps as most the time when I ask technical questions as to the improvement I get nothing but snake oil answers- It sound better is not what I am after.
The typical reel to reel owner trying to squeeze ever last drop of audio out of a deck may spend a lot of money for the last 1% that may or may not make a difference. Yet after a person pays $1900 for a head preamp, then of course it has to sound better otherwise he spent the money for nothing. I am all for someone making a better head system for deck but do we all think those guys at Studer were dummies? Why has no one put some on head amp to send the delicate signal to further amplification like they do in DVR video decks? Maybe this would actually make more sense than running some high end Teflon low cap cable to some box somewhere. Maybe I see thing different having worked on deck for 47 years and seeing a lot of bad designs. There are better ways out there and they may already be present on Studer machines and all we need to do is copy them to lesser machines.

Reactions: Ki Choi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing