Quality of today's LP pressings - are they really that good?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ahh, ECM. I have never ever had a problem with those, and incredible sound to boot.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Ahh, ECM. I have never ever had a problem with those, and incredible sound to boot.

I just bought a reissue of the Koln Concert, this was noticeably better than the original 80"s copy I have.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I agree many new pressings are a disappointment either in pressing quality or sound. I've vented on this subj. before so I'll try not to wax on too much, but it's the MAIN reason I don't buy much vinyl anymore. The only pressings that I can say good things about are MFSL. Every one I've bought is dead quiet and problem free. And almost every Lp that I've returned for replacement has the same issue/s in the/almost identical spot(s) so I know it's the pressing quality that is to blame. When you can buy used Lp's fro the 70's and they clean up and sound better (noise-wise) than new pressings....that should tell you something! I could bring out specific examples of recent crap pressings but I'd have to double down on my fav. holiday alcoholic beverages.
So, here's a funny one. So, far I have had two new pressings that have had the same songs stamped on both sides, (not the labels). Boy, someone was asleep at the press on those, not to mention the Q.C. listener (who's that?)?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I agree many new pressings are a disappointment either in pressing quality or sound. I've vented on this subj. before so I'll try not to wax on too much, but it's the MAIN reason I don't buy much vinyl anymore. The only pressings that I can say good things about are MFSL. Every one I've bought is dead quiet and problem free. And almost every Lp that I've returned for replacement has the same issue/s in the/almost identical spot(s) so I know it's the pressing quality that is to blame. When you can buy used Lp's fro the 70's and they clean up and sound better (noise-wise) than new pressings....that should tell you something! I could bring out specific examples of recent crap pressings but I'd have to double down on my fav. holiday alcoholic beverages.
So, here's a funny one. So, far I have had two new pressings that have had the same songs stamped on both sides, (not the labels). Boy, someone was asleep at the press on those, not to mention the Q.C. listener (who's that?)?

I have to say I agree
I have enormous record collection nearly all secondhand and started to buy new stuff and Was very disappointed by the variable quality including incredibly noisy patches

Given the cost and about a 50% issues rate I gave up

I cannot comment on some of these super expensive reissues, but when I am buying great second hand vinyl at 3 dollars and often perfect after a go through the klaudio US cleaner, I cannot be bothered or wish to risk the expense

I have friends who just keep returning the dud peressings sometimes multiple times

To me the vpi and klaudio are a better investment than new vinyl, but if u don't have access to good old stuff what else can you do

However I am more than ready to accept the situation may have improved in last 5 years which is about when I last bought new vinyl

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
So, far I have had two new pressings that have had the same songs stamped on both sides, (not the labels). Boy, someone was asleep at the press on those, not to mention the Q.C. listener (who's that?)?

Ha! Go back to 1975 when of course, my sister and I - along with most of the world it seems - were hardcore ABBA fans (well, I still like their stuff even of no one else does). She saved up to buy their latest LP only to find that side 1 was correct, but side 2 was from their previous LP release that we already had!! My poor sister was mortified. I was a bit more philosophical about it (as in merely very miserable) ;) Yet when we went to exchange it, the exchange copy was correct!

Back to the subject and I still do not understand why some labels stubbornly use pressing plants that are chronically second-rate. Is it because they get ongoing "deals", a case of the good plants being unable to accept their lacquers, etc? As I said earlier in this thread, some plants produce consistently poor quality pressings. Others such as QRP are arguably the best pressing plant in existence since the Golden Age.

I further don't understand in this day and age why vinyl releases are not released concurrently with a high res download option as often as they are - at least in the classical genre. It seems to me that the additional remastering expenses would more than pay off. I still really only buy vinyl because there are still too few hi-res download options of what I want. I would go to hi-res downloads in a heartbeat if I consistently had the option. It seems like Analogue Productions are one of the very few companies that are concurrently releasing classical material in both vinyl and hi-res digital formats, but it is mainly SACD, so that isn't much use to me either.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Lol

I had a lp of beethovens sixth with the egmont overture

After playing both sides I discovered there is no egmont on it

But then some new CDs won't play at all ......

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Most of my Speakers Corners have annoying defects. I really wish they would change pressing plants.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
+2 and a lot of problems with Reference Recordings.

my problem with Reference Recordings is that they are all digitally sourced and 'some' sound like crap (and there are lovely tape masters that could have been used). some are pretty good. none are as outstanding as they could be. I'm cool with pressing issues for great sound.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
my problem with Reference Recordings is that they are all digitally sourced and 'some' sound like crap (and there are lovely tape masters that could have been used). some are pretty good. none are as outstanding as they could be. I'm cool with pressing issues for great sound.

I just listened to my RR Stravinsky The Firebird Suite last night. I had thought this was a pretty good recording. But with my recent improvements to room acoustics, I "hear" the recording better, and I must say, I'm a bit disappointed. I'll have to listen to Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances next, to see if I have the same impression.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I just listened to my RR Stravinsky The Firebird Suite last night. I had thought this was a pretty good recording. But with my recent improvements to room acoustics, I "hear" the recording better, and I must say, I'm a bit disappointed. I'll have to listen to Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances next, to see if I have the same impression.

they are collectively a bit 'flat sounding' and less than harmonically complex. I just got the Copeland and the CD (which I've always loved) is a bit better.

most sound somewhat 'good'.....and most are superior to the digital versions to some degree.

to be clear; we are talking about the recent RR pressings, those from 10 year ago or even before that of which I have most/all are pretty much outstanding. I have a few of the RR master tapes and they are very very good.

I wish Prof. Johnson would get his head out of his *ss and allow Paul Subblebine to use the tapes for these vinyl masters instead of the HRx files. at every show I stop by the RR booth and make my voice heard. they nod their head and roll their eyes knowingly. I'm preaching to the choir.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I do not own a reference system, but in my system new pressings are not as "rounded" as original ones, to me some of them sound quite flat and not that involving, but still better than average CD sound.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
they are collectively a bit 'flat sounding' and less than harmonically complex. I just got the Copeland and the CD (which I've always loved) is a bit better.

most sound somewhat 'good'.....and most are superior to the digital versions to some degree.

to be clear; we are talking about the recent RR pressings, those from 10 year ago or even before that of which I have most/all are pretty much outstanding. I have a few of the RR master tapes and they are very very good.

I wish Prof. Johnson would get his head out of his *ss and allow Paul Subblebine to use the tapes for these vinyl masters instead of the HRx files. at every show I stop by the RR booth and make my voice heard. they nod their head and roll their eyes knowingly. I'm preaching to the choir.

I bought these two LPs at the NYC show in 2011, so they are newer reissues. "A bit flat sounding" is exactly how I would describe them too. The sound is restricted somewhat around the plane of my speakers and fills my room less than many other symphonic recordings I have. And tonally, the Firebird recording sounded a bit grey.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The new Miles Davis MoFi's are outstanding. Haven't been to satisfied with the new MoFi's but these Miles albums are something special.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
If you like the Miles Davis MoFi's, try the originals :D. I've never been that impressed by MoFi's other than the first run of 20 or so back in the 1970's. Likewise ECM recordings while quiet, always seem sonically, well boring, but maybe that's just the music. As an example, this year's releases by Vijay Iyer and Avishai Cohen have sonics that pale compared to their prior releases.

My sense is that the great/crap sound ratio is little changed over the years. I've found quite a few excellent sounding releases this year (in addition to the usual sonic dross):

CloZee "Revolutions"
Geoffrey Williams "Yes Is The Answer"
William Bell "This is Where I Live"
Brad Mehldau "Blues and Ballads"
Bad Plus "It's Hard"
Leonard Cohen "You Want It Darker"

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
If you like the Miles Davis MoFi's, try the originals :D. I've never been that impressed by MoFi's other than the first run of 20 or so back in the 1970's. Likewise ECM recordings while quiet, always seem sonically, well boring, but maybe that's just the music. As an example, this year's releases by Vijay Iyer and Avishai Cohen have sonics that pale compared to their prior releases.

My sense is that the great/crap sound ratio is little changed over the years. I've found quite a few excellent sounding releases this year (in addition to the usual sonic dross):

CloZee "Revolutions"
Geoffrey Williams "Yes Is The Answer"
William Bell "This is Where I Live"
Brad Mehldau "Blues and Ballads"
Bad Plus "It's Hard"
Leonard Cohen "You Want It Darker"

So have you heard the new Miles Davis MoFi's? Which ones?

I have an extensive Miles Collection of originals and these MoFi's are superior. For example, I have 6 versions of Bitches Brew (2 Columbia First Press, 1 Japanese, 1 Spain, 1 UK and the MoFi) and the MoFi beats all of them in every audiophile category. All of the new MoFi's haven't been great, but these Miles albums are special.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I bought "Milestones" and "Round About Midnight" because they are amongst my favorite Miles' records. The original mono 6 eyes were better to my ears and I gave the MoFi's to a friend. YMMV

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing