Riders on the Storm kind of day in the PNW, post song and pic of your location

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
So post a picture and your soundtrack cut that goes with the weather at the moment!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
"Stormy Monday", from 'The Allman Brothers At Fillmore East', Nautilus pressing.

I'm on a 'stay' cation this week so I'm home today. I absolutely love the rain, and in the mountains here east of Seattle we get more than our share.

Stormy Monday.jpg

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Great song but sounds better on tape for the ultimate experience

Would tend to agree with you, but I would love to compare this album to the tape at your place or Mikes.
When we listened to the CD at your place it sounded like there was a wall between your speakers and the listening position and each musician was coming through a 6 inch hole in the soundstage.
Then we spun the tape and all things glorious happened in spades.
This is the Elektra EKS-75011 180 Gram version and it really makes my system come alive so I am curious about it on a system the resolves (doesn't take much) better than mine.

Mike, I will have to spin my Capricorn.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Great song but sounds better on tape for the ultimate experience

Hi-res 96/24 in 5.1 surround...DVD Audio. ...The Doors - L.A. Woman - 'Riders on the Storm'

I don't know if it sounds better or inferior than the tape but that particular song with the rain and thunder in hi-res discrete 5.1 surround sound from my DVD-Audio beats my DCC 24K gold CD disc in plain stereo, and beats my stereo LP too.

When it comes to 'The Doors' only the best will do. And when it comes to the rain only Vancouver Island will do. :b
______

But earlier this morning the sun came up for a brief moment in my morning forest walk:

I didn't take that pic, but it looked similar.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Hi-res 96/24 in 5.1 surround...DVD Audio. ...The Doors - L.A. Woman - 'Riders on the Storm'

I don't know if it sounds better or inferior than the tape but that particular song with the rain and thunder in hi-res discrete 5.1 surround sound from my DVD-Audio beats my DCC 24K gold CD disc in plain stereo, and beats my stereo LP too.

When it comes to 'The Doors' only the best will do. And when it comes to the rain only Vancouver Island will do. :b
______

But earlier this morning the sun came up for a brief moment in my morning forest walk:

I didn't take that pic, but it looked similar.

The new APO 45 sets for The Doors are my favorite versions, even over the hirez. I don't have a tape machine...yet. Was sad that Horch House did not keep their commitment to RMAF.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
There are different hi-res versions; the one I have is the 2001 DVD-Audio with the original stereo track and 5.1 remix.
The 2006 DVD-Audio version is the same 5.1 mix but a newly remastered stereo track.

The APO 45rpm LPs are from the tape. The 45 Rhino ones are from the digital files (192/24). APO = winner.

The tape might have the best stereo sound quality overall, followed by the APO 45 LPs (200gr). It's on hybrid SACD too, with stereo and 5.1 multichannel.
Plus the DCC Gold disc, the original CD, the Elektra original LP, and anything between plus the hi-res audio download files.

* 'Riders on the Storm' might sound better for stereo sound coming from the R2R tape and APO 45 LPs, but it's more fun in discrete 5.1 surround, more enveloping and perfectly appropriate for this particular tune. :b
_________

The rain has stopped here, a while ago, and it's a nice sky, half blue with the sun earlier.

? Picture to go with it: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18114-Testing-area&p=417638&viewfull=1#post417638

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Turned into a phenomenal afternoon, que up the cd rip of John Denver's Thank God I'm A Country Boy!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing