Hardwiring a complete system....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Frantz, you make some very good points. However, I do think there is a strong case for some manufacturer's hard wiring their power cords. The loss in SQ that I believe is there with the typical amp/preamp or?? iec connection is IMO an issue. The current vogue for iec connections and the strong after market power cord industry is not going to be in favor of this, but I feel that we are loosing SQ because of it.

As far as I have read some manufacturers hardwired power cords to their equipment to avoid that people would use power cords that could degrade the sound quality of equipment, changing their intentions.

Anyway, nowadays most of them have power connectors because they want to export and power cords are a nuisance when you need certificates on cables and different power plugs according to country. Using a power connector allows them to have only one type of amplifier.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
As far as I have read some manufacturers hardwired power cords to their equipment to avoid that people would use power cords that could degrade the sound quality of equipment, changing their intentions.

Anyway, nowadays most of them have power connectors because they want to export and power cords are a nuisance when you need certificates on cables and different power plugs according to country. Using a power connector allows them to have only one type of amplifier.

Micro, that is also correct. However, I do not think that this business plan actually has anything to do with SQ...and as I said before, IMO it tends to lessen it. As i said in the thread that I started last year, the idea of hardwiring is not novel, but it is one that I know a few of my a'phile friends have undertaken. All of them had a nice lift in SQ. OTOH, I am not contemplating this myself, as personally I do not have the skill set and I believe that there are other areas that need to be addressed first...such as clean power from the street ( which I have now completed) and all number of other items. BUT, for the committed...and the more able ( with a soldering iron and a good understanding of electronics) it would make sense.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I prefer wired over wireless; it is a more secured connection with less interruptions. ...Hardwired? It just don't really matter to me.
Some audio components are and others aren't. The low end is hardwired and the high end isn't. When they go low we go high. :b

:confused:

:confused:

:rolleyes:

Oct 15, 2016
I couldn't believe the difference a QED power lines made when I attached them to a pair of plate amps for R&L subs one day let alone the other amps, crazy stuff but always hardwired into the amps.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Ditto on Frantz's posts.

Oct 15, 2016
I think it was Solen I got the wire from to make then, not saying they are the best??? But what a difference over stock cords & then hardwired in.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing