Hi from California

panreels

Aug 28, 2016
Hi : I have been a long time reader of this forum, but this is my first post and thought I’d tell you a little about me, first I’m retired and consider myself a DIY Audiophile skeptic, I’ve been messing around with Hi Fi and stereo equipment since the 1950 and always been interested audio and building speaker system and cabinets in fact I have never bought or owned a commercial speaker system,

Since then I’ve build hundreds of speaker systems both Hi Fi audio and electric guitar selling most of them, also through the years I’ve put together Eico and Heathkit amps and preamps and still have some of them, also upgrading vintage amps, preamp both tube and solid state.

Finely and after all these years I went to my first audio show T.H.E show Newport 2016 and this has re- inspired my interest high end audio.

As you can see I’ve been into this stuff for a long time and aside from building speaker cabinets I also like to work on reel to reel tape decks which I have had many including a Heathkit reel to reel tape recorder which I also build.

My main source for music is reel to reel tape and vinyl, sorry no digital I’m an analogman, my thing is too build a $4000 system that sounds like a $400,000 one.

After reading lots of post here and feel you like it when picture are posted, so here is
My main system, at present it is a very simple basic system, Sony TA-E90ES preamp, two McIntosh MC-40 mono block tube amps (which I upgraded & re-capped) Pro-ject TT, Sumiko blue Point No2 cartridge, Tascam BR-20, Teac X2000M RtR tape decks, hand made solid wood speakers and all equipment stands and cabinets are also hand made.

Attachments

• DSCN1786.JPG
    DSCN1786.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCN1788.JPG
    DSCN1788.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCN1792.JPG
    DSCN1792.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCN1812.JPG
    DSCN1812.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCN1814.JPG
    DSCN1814.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 317

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Hi : I have been a long time reader of this forum, but this is my first post and thought I’d tell you a little about me, first I’m retired and consider myself a DIY Audiophile skeptic, I’ve been messing around with Hi Fi and stereo equipment since the 1950 and always been interested audio and building speaker system and cabinets in fact I have never bought or owned a commercial speaker system,

Since then I’ve build hundreds of speaker systems both Hi Fi audio and electric guitar selling most of them, also through the years I’ve put together Eico and Heathkit amps and preamps and still have some of them, also upgrading vintage amps, preamp both tube and solid state.

Finely and after all these years I went to my first audio show T.H.E show Newport 2016 and this has re- inspired my interest high end audio.

As you can see I’ve been into this stuff for a long time and aside from building speaker cabinets I also like to work on reel to reel tape decks which I have had many including a Heathkit reel to reel tape recorder which I also build.

My main source for music is reel to reel tape and vinyl, sorry no digital I’m an analogman, my thing is too build a $4000 system that sounds like a $400,000 one.

After reading lots of post here and feel you like it when picture are posted, so here is
My main system, at present it is a very simple basic system, Sony TA-E90ES preamp, two McIntosh MC-40 mono block tube amps (which I upgraded & re-capped) Pro-ject TT, Sumiko blue Point No2 cartridge, Tascam BR-20, Teac X2000M RtR tape decks, hand made solid wood speakers and all equipment stands and cabinets are also hand made.

It seems you have just as much fun building as you do listening. Have you upgraded your power yet? Your equipment racks look great.

panreels

Aug 28, 2016
It seems you have just as much fun building as you do listening. Have you upgraded your power yet? Your equipment racks look great.

I’m not sure what you mean by upgrading the power; the wall plugs are on there own dedicated 20 amp circuit, if you mean a line conditioner I’m not sure it would be necessary. Pete

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Welcome,

Power conditioners aren't necessary to play music, but a good one will always improve sound. Dave at ZenWave offers one that doesn't interfere with equipment (no negatives that I can find). I think it's closer to your lower budget goals than most.

Good job doing some recapping, and nice job on the speakers.

One of the easiest and cheapest things you can do is making sure your cartridge is setup properly (not the factory setup), especially azimuth.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing