Bunch of audio “experts” select their BEST products. Fun! What do you think?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Most intelligent folks understand that consulting a single expert to help out with audio systems is a risky proposition to one’s audio happiness. But when you take a bunch of experienced folks and compile / average what they think, their observations can be quite insightful.

This is exactly what we have here: Awards chosen by “representatives of “the world’s leading HiFi press publications.”
Read more at stereophile toward the bottom of the post.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/rmaf-2016-departures-and-arrivals#aIjUmOlLcwFyEVQi.97

http://www.stereophile.com/content/rmaf-2016-departures-and-arrivals#aIjUmOlLcwFyEVQi.97

Some interesting thoughts and observations based on what these elites think:

- These guys love dcs, but Chord DAVE is the king of DACs. Berkeley Ref, marketed so hard by the Computer Audiophile and TAS’s Harley not even nominated
- No “pure” dsd DACs even mentioned (Lampi, PS Audio, nagra, EMM, Playback, etc)
- Air force kicks ass over Kronos
- Gryphon integrated? Maybe it's as good as they say, but it’s not even sold in the US!?! What's up with that?
- Amplifiers: ayre kicks pass’s ass; pass not even on the list !???! neither is the old mark levinson
- B&W 800 D3 kicks magico s3 butt (maybe wolf should reach out to more reviewers)
- Wilson Alexx is the high end speaker king – how can one go wrong recommending Wilson? Haven’t seen any used Alexx on the used market, so owners like it also
- Severely analytical Senn 800 is king of headphones?!
- Chord Mojo is king headphone amp; Pass labs makes the headphones amp list, not amp list????
- Nordost ac cables?!
- No transparent or MIT signal cables?
- Audioquest Niagara beats shunyata triton ?!
- MQA best innovation

What do you guys think?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Awards chosen by “representatives of “the world’s leading HiFi press publications” - you should clarify this is just a popularity check, nothing else, and the numbers and methodology are unknown. And playing with the words, IMHO the lists is not representative of the world’s leading HiFi press ...

These ballots with a very small number of voters always result in funny results - the DCS vivaldi transporter is nominated, but not the DAC ...

What I think? Entertaining at best, nothing else.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Most intelligent folks understand that consulting a single expert to help out with audio systems is a risky proposition to one’s audio happiness. But when you take a bunch of experienced folks and compile / average what they think, their observations can be quite insightful.

This is exactly what we have here: Awards chosen by “representatives of “the world’s leading HiFi press publications.”

What do you guys think?

Any of these publications based in Asia?

The Audio Beat, AudioTechnique, AudioVideo, AVMentor.net, DAR, Fidelity, Head-Fi, Hi-Fi+, Innovation&Tech Today, Lyd & Bilde, Mono Stereo, NoMono, Stereo, and Stereophile.
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/rmaf-2016-departures-and-arrivals#DhF2C80zbHuqwmQA.99

What I think is that I'd also like to get a bunch of Asian experts and Japanese Audiomaniacs to have their say.

The results should add variety.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Awards chosen by “representatives of “the world’s leading HiFi press publications” - you should clarify this is just a popularity check, nothing else, and the numbers and methodology are unknown. And playing with the words, IMHO the lists is not representative of the world’s leading HiFi press ...

These ballots with a very small number of voters always result in funny results - the DCS vivaldi transporter is nominated, but not the DAC ...

Sure, of course. But an interesting perspective of compiling opinions of several rather than taking one guy's opinion as gospel.

Also interesting that, as much as anything else, what determines BEST is what relationships one may have, amount of marketing done in that region, reputation of gear has among your audience, along - of course- with your taste.

For the fear manufacturers "slighted" it shows that better and more diverse relationships are needed to help expose your brand to the target market.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Any of these publications based in Asia?

What I think is that I'd also like to get a bunch of Asian experts and Japanese Audiomaniacs to have their say.

The results should add variety.

Amen

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016

Read more at stereophile toward the bottom of the post.

Some interesting thoughts and observations based on what these elites think:

- These guys love dcs, but Chord DAVE is the king of DACs. Berkeley Ref, marketed so hard by the Computer Audiophile and TAS’s Harley not even nominated
- No “pure” dsd DACs even mentioned (Lampi, PS Audio, nagra, EMM, Playback, etc)
- Air force kicks ass over Kronos
- Gryphon integrated? Maybe it's as good as they say, but it’s not even sold in the US!?! What's up with that?
- Amplifiers: ayre kicks pass’s ass; pass not even on the list !???! neither is the old mark levinson
- B&W 800 D3 kicks magico s3 butt (maybe wolf should reach out to more reviewers)
- Wilson Alexx is the high end speaker king – how can one go wrong recommending Wilson? Haven’t seen any used Alexx on the used market, so owners like it also
- Severely analytical Senn 800 is king of headphones?!
- Chord Mojo is king headphone amp; Pass labs makes the headphones amp list, not amp list????
- Nordost ac cables?!
- No transparent or MIT signal cables?
- Audioquest Niagara beats shunyata triton ?!
- MQA best innovation

What do you guys think?

IMO all of these products can make "incremental" differences of a flawed model. In order to recreate a facsile of a live performance with only two speakers requires a large budget, careful component matching,and a lot of time and tweaking. I propose starting all over with the best "system" which IMO is Auro 3D. Choose 10 matching speakers plus a sub or two, an auro 3d capable processor that will upmix everything you play into auro 3d via auromatic and you have a chance at achieving a "best system" with a reasonable budget, not a lot of effort, and simple system component matching. You don't need to buy any special discs, just use the upmixer on content you already have.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

caesar

May 30, 2010
Curious about the process as well. But what is interesting is that Different social networks of reviewers, distributors, and manufacturers results in very different "BEST" results.

Last year, there were 10 ten publications participated:

Audio Video (South Africa). AVMENTOR.net (Greece), Digital Audio Review (Australia), FIDELITY Magazine (Germany), Head-Fi.org (United States), Hi-Fi+ (United Kingdom), Innovation & Tech Today (United States), STEREO (Germany), Stereophile (United States), and The Audio Beat (United States).

Results from last year:

CD player: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
D/A converter: PS Audio DirectStream
Music servers and computer-based audio: AURALiC Aries
Mobile player: PonoMusic PonoPlayer
Turntable: VPI Industries Classic Signature
Pickup cartridge: Lyra Etna
Tonearm: VPI Industries JMW-3D
Phono stage: Rogers High Fidelity PA-1A
Integrated amplifier: Devialet Expert 200
Preamplifier: Audio Research Reference 10
Stereo power amplifier: PS Audio BHK Signature 250
Mono power amplifier: Ayre Acoustics MX-R Twenty
Bookshelf loudspeaker: KEF LS50
Floorstanding loudspeaker: KEF Blade Two
Headphones: HiFiMAN HE1000
Headphone amplification: MOON by Simaudio Neo 430HA
Power cable: AudioQuest WEL Signature
Signal cable Analogue: Nordost Valhalla 2
Signal cable Digital: Atlas Mavros Ultra S/PDIF
Power conditioner: IsoTek EVO3 Aquarius
Racks, platforms & supports: Harmonic Resolution Systems RXR Audio Stand
Best audiophile recording (Digital): Chesky Records, David Chesky & Jazz in the New Harmonic: Primal Scream
Best audiophile recording (Analogue): Analogue Productions, Roger Waters - Amused to Death
Innovation: Master Quality Authenticated MQA
Value for money: AudioQuest JitterBug
Lifetime achievement: Dieter Burmester of Burmester Audiosysteme GmbH

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Curious about the process as well. But what is interesting is that Different social networks of reviewers, distributors, and manufacturers results in very different "BEST" results.

Indeed, that would surely be the case.

Audio Video (South Africa). AVMENTOR.net (Greece), Digital Audio Review (Australia), FIDELITY Magazine (Germany), Head-Fi.org (United States), Hi-Fi+ (United Kingdom), Innovation & Tech Today (United States), STEREO (Germany), Stereophile (United States), and The Audio Beat (United States).

Thanks for the detailed info, caesar, I didn't know about it.

So... last year then, there was still no Asian experts or Japanese Audio Maniac participating...

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I have been reading and subscribing to TAS and Stereophile for over 45 years [and a few other publications as well but not for as long]. And if i have learned anything reading these, is that EVERYONE has an OPINION. We are all prejudiced toward our view of what we like [I did not say what sounds like live music]. And contrary to what some think, each one of these reviewers (and all of us as well) are not immune to "expectation bias" - and many of those reviewers would deny it - which immediately makes every recommendation they make, suspect.

There are some reviewers in those magazines that I tend to favor more than others (and two that come to mind, one in TAS and one in Stereophile, have very different perspectives), but not a single one would I say, "if he likes it, I will like it.

That said, articles like this (and TAS's and Stereophile's "Components of the Year") can be entertaining --- at best.

A poster above commented on using multiple alike properly placed speakers coupled with an Auro processor to achieve the best sound. There is much to that position with which I agree. While that approach is not even close to what live music sounds like, it is [usually] so, so much closer than the very best 2 channel system I have ever heard. [I tend to favor the Dolby Upmixer more so than Auromatic but that, again, is a matter of preference].

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

Definitely agree...a popularity check, a recent advertising dollars-spent check, the list goes on and on. Stereophile and others to truly do this right would
face a gargantuan task so I do see the problem they have plus they are a business, HOWEVER. MANY top models/brands are very conspicuous by their absence
from such lists (Esoteric, more DCS mention, EMM Labs, more Ayre, Accuphase, McIntosh, Lampi and a LONG list of others....).

Not to mention the lists in TAS and Stereophile are a study in 'copy/paste on the computer perfected' from year to year
to begin with dropping those along the way that don't seem to have paid/sponsored ads and reviews as of late.

Well Said microstrip & audioguy: Entertaining at best, nothing else!

caesar

May 30, 2010
New 2017 version!

Background, participants, etc.: https://www.stereophile.com/content/rocky-mountain-international-hifi-press-awards-0

(Still no TAS guys! Surely the results must be wrong; only they have the mystical senses to imagine certain things inside their minds better than everyone else and declare things BEST!)

Winners: http://www.audiofest.net/3rd-annual-rocky-mountain-international-hifi-press-awards-rihpa-winners/

No Magico!!!! Note even the S line!

Chord DAVE beats dCS Vivaldi again! :)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
None of these lists will satisfy an audiophile. :) Invariably, their favorite gear or brands are missing and they won't agree with the choices anyway.

Still, the winners above include a good number of excellent components in my opinion.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
This is a very good list actually.

Results from last year:

CD player: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
D/A converter: PS Audio DirectStream
Music servers and computer-based audio: AURALiC Aries
Mobile player: PonoMusic PonoPlayer
Turntable: VPI Industries Classic Signature
Pickup cartridge: Lyra Etna
Tonearm: VPI Industries JMW-3D
Phono stage: Rogers High Fidelity PA-1A
Integrated amplifier: Devialet Expert 200
Preamplifier: Audio Research Reference 10
Stereo power amplifier: PS Audio BHK Signature 250
Mono power amplifier: Ayre Acoustics MX-R Twenty
Bookshelf loudspeaker: KEF LS50
Floorstanding loudspeaker: KEF Blade Two
Headphones: HiFiMAN HE1000
Headphone amplification: MOON by Simaudio Neo 430HA
Power cable: AudioQuest WEL Signature
Signal cable Analogue: Nordost Valhalla 2
Signal cable Digital: Atlas Mavros Ultra S/PDIF
Power conditioner: IsoTek EVO3 Aquarius
Racks, platforms & supports: Harmonic Resolution Systems RXR Audio Stand
Best audiophile recording (Digital): Chesky Records, David Chesky & Jazz in the New Harmonic: Primal Scream
Best audiophile recording (Analogue): Analogue Productions, Roger Waters - Amused to Death
Innovation: Master Quality Authenticated MQA
Value for money: AudioQuest JitterBug
Lifetime achievement: Dieter Burmester of Burmester Audiosysteme GmbH

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Definitely agree...a popularity check, a recent advertising dollars-spent check, the list goes on and on.

Hmm, I am not sure I buy the "advertising dollars spent" reference. Is there any empirical evidence to support that claim?

To my knowledge, there are many times Stereophile did a review but had no advertising spend from the company.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Hmm, I am not sure I buy the "advertising dollars spent" reference. Is there any empirical evidence to support that claim?

To my knowledge, there are many times Stereophile did a review but had no advertising spend from the company.

What sort of review was published? If it was a product well-reviewed elsewhere, I think it would be good in Sterephile too. But if not reviewed elsewhere, maybe not. I can tell you from first-hand experience that there is a connection between advertising and reviews at Stereophile, at least when I experienced it, there was. I was sitting right by the editor of the magazine (he did not know who I was at the time) at dinner during a Stereophile show while he discussed upcoming advertising and reviews with the CEO of a company interested in both. Prior to that, I had been warned by persons at ARC that it was not a good idea to obtain a review from Stereophile if you could not also do a 1 year ad campaign with them (else you may well get a bad review). I can give you more examples if you like. It is from this experience that I came to the conclusion that bad reviews are unethical.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) It is from this experience that I came to the conclusion that bad reviews are unethical.

IMHO bad reviews most of the time show that the reviewer had a system that was not compatible with the equipment being tested or lacked the competence to tune the system. In such cases the responsibility is also from the magazine editor, that should have picked another reviewer or simply withdrawn the review.

Ranking systems and buying lists are even more perverse than bad reviews. All we need is a component list with prices and a few characteristics, like the 90's TAS guides.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I think it's a mistake to generalize about bad reviews. some might be tainted, and others are bad synergy as mentioned, but some others are where a reviewer did not care for the product, or felt it was not performing to it's price point.

i think economic politics play plenty in reviews that never happen. even more obvious is if you look at what gear certain magazines mention in show reports, and other gear never gets mentioned, compared to advertisers in those publications digital and print. that is a much easier case to make. those reports are mostly fluff anyway, supporting those ad dollar spends to be at the shows. is this any huge issue......not really.....but it is what it is.

so there are clear relationships involved in presence verses ad dollars spent.

Reactions: Elliot G.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing