Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Ron was asking how GFS compare to Opus1 and AtlasSL. (I throw in AtlasSL because I like it :D) I only have about 20 hrs on GFS but can state a few obvious that I hear without thinking what to look for. Once again, my AtlasSL is on Axiom/927. The GFS/3012R and Opus1/SAT on AS2000.

- GFS and Opus1 have the same level of extraordinary clarity. If AtlasSL is on AS2000, it likely has the same clarity also. Why I suspect so? Because before my AS arrived, the clarity of EMT, Kronos and Techdas were at the same level and I had Opus1 and AtlasSL on all of them at the same time. I didn’t find Opus1 any more transparent or clear than AtlasSL. Next week I will put AtlasSL/Axiom on AS and I will know for sure.

-All three are very very dynamic, involving, create great presence.

- Orchestra is quite a distant awaywith GFS. I don’t know how many rolls, but even farther back than AtlasSL. Mike and Ron might not agree. I sit 5.2 meters away from my speakers and the orchestra was quite a distant back away from my speakers. So it felt far for me. While Mike does near field if that makes any difference. The Opus is most upfront. Each cart you will get very different view and hearing of a symphony. But on jazz AtlasSL and GFS have more realistic size and scale of a band when talking “they-are-here” perspective.

- GFS’s high, on every instruments, is most vibrant of the three. Very refreshing. Yet the extension is not as good as the other two. More time will extend more?

- AtlasSL’s midband attacks, surges = Opus1 > GFS.

- Opus1’s vocal tone is most refined and ear pleasing. GFS and AtlasSL are more less the same on this regard. Every so often can hear “hairline” (I don’t want to say roughness) in sound.

- For decay, room ambient, woody sound Opus1 is best. GFS and AtlasSL about the same.

- GFS and AtlasSL have no immersive effect like Opus1.

- Instrument distinction is best with GFS. Listen to John Fahay’s After the Ball, I wish I knew How it would feel to be Free. This song has many instruments jamming at the same time. GFS pretty much makes different brass and string instruments sound more distinctively to one another at busy play than the other two carts. On orchestra, although sounding distant away, the GFS enable me to differentiate different instruments really well. So it could still fools me real like listening in the hall on back row. Very different kind of fools me real from Opus1 that makes me see everything hear everything up close.

That’s it for now. Any particular sound aspects you want me to look for just let me know.

Kind regards,
Tang

You'll hear the GFS improve quite a bit after 100 hours. You're very early on with it still. I think you notice improvements in ease/resolution, immersiveness as you put it, extension and even more vibrancy.

I didn't notice the distance, but I don't listen to much orchestra music...so I'm not a good commenter here.

Keep the reports coming, I just suspect you'll find the GFS to take a lot longer than you'd expect...it's always good...just more to come !

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@dminches. I prefer AtlasSL and possibly GFS on jazz.

@Gian. I also put 350-380 Ohm on GFS.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
You'll hear the GFS improve quite a bit after 100 hours. You're very early on with it still. I think you notice improvements in ease/resolution, immersiveness as you put it, extension and even more vibrancy.

I didn't notice the distance, but I don't listen to much orchestra music...so I'm not a good commenter here.

Keep the reports coming, I just suspect you'll find the GFS to take a lot longer than you'd expect...it's always good...just more to come !

Thank you for the advise. So it takes quite a bit of time like AtlasSL.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

GFS takes about 75 hours to settle and have optimal musical touch, and 100 for all the bass to come all the way in.

in my set-up each recording varies according to the degree of 'holographic' appearance in a reach out and touch it way. that sort of up front type sound. but I don't have an Opus 1 to compare.

as far as separating instruments and hearing nuance in high impact music, the GFS is the king. as I listen to lots of large scale orchestral at warp 9, this issue is huge for me. it might not be as important to everyone, or maybe not every system can do these things in a way to fully take advantage of this factor.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
@dminches. I prefer AtlasSL and possibly GFS on jazz.

@Gian. I also put 350-380 Ohm on GFS.

All phono stages are different. However, to me 350-380 is a bit to much...I'd back off to maybe ~500+. Mine is 680. My dealer has his at 845... I also found as the GFW broke in, I backed off the VTF from 2.8 grams to 2.74

Your mileage will surely vary here vs mine...

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
All phono stages are different. However, to me 350-380 is a bit to much...I'd back off to maybe ~500+. Mine is 680. My dealer has his at 845... I also found as the GFW broke in, I backed off the VTF from 2.8 grams to 2.74

Your mileage will surely vary here vs mine...

My 350-380 is already very lively and open.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Thank you for the advise. So it takes quite a bit of time like AtlasSL.

Hello

I have the GFS new model as well- it will take about 100 hrs to flesh out the ability for it to distinguish between instruments and be explosive is quite amazing

I have the Atlas, Etna SL and Koetsu RSP as well.

Hang in there!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hello

I have the GFS new model as well- it will take about 100 hrs to flesh out the ability for it to distinguish between instruments and be explosive is quite amazing

I have the Atlas, Etna SL and Koetsu RSP as well.

Hang in there!

I have an Etna SL as my main cartridge now and the GFS has been on the top of my want list. Based on the comments here it sounds like I should strongly consider getting one.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have an Etna SL as my main cartridge now and the GFS has been on the top of my want list. Based on the comments here it sounds like I should strongly consider getting one.

EtnaSL is only 9.2g. Might be better on your 3012R. And put GFS on Telos like Mike’s best match.

Tang:)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It's the only reason I have a digital setup, certainly not for sound quality :)! But even then I can't bring myself to listen to computer digital.

david

I think digital playback is excellent for warming up amplifiers while you are having dinner out. :p (Mike taught me this.)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Marty, Marty, Marty . . . I appreciate you are a medical doctor, but what about the Audiocratic Oath?

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won sonic gains of those audiophiles in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of audiophiles in need, all tweaks [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of over-tweaking and objectivist nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to audio as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the scientist's measurements or the objectivist's ridicule.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not why something sounds the way it does," nor will I fail to call in my friends when the skills of another are needed to solve a frequency anomaly.

No matter how dire the need of another person, I will not shirk my responsibility to plug a recording device into the mixing console whenever, and for whatever reason, I find myself in a recording session.
(emphasis added)

How come no one liked this? :confused: (I thought it was some of my best work. :eek:)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron was asking how GFS compare to Opus1 and AtlasSL. (I throw in AtlasSL because I like it :D) I only have about 20 hrs on GFS but can state a few obvious that I hear without thinking what to look for. Once again, my AtlasSL is on Axiom/927. The GFS/3012R and Opus1/SAT on AS2000.

- GFS and Opus1 have the same level of extraordinary clarity. If AtlasSL is on AS2000, it likely has the same clarity also. Why I suspect so? Because before my AS arrived, the clarity of EMT, Kronos and Techdas were at the same level and I had Opus1 and AtlasSL on all of them at the same time. I didn’t find Opus1 any more transparent or clear than AtlasSL. Next week I will put AtlasSL/Axiom on AS and I will know for sure.

-All three are very very dynamic, involving, create great presence.

- Orchestra is quite a distant awaywith GFS. I don’t know how many rolls, but even farther back than AtlasSL. Mike and Ron might not agree. I sit 5.2 meters away from my speakers and the orchestra was quite a distant back away from my speakers. So it felt far for me. While Mike does near field if that makes any difference. The Opus is most upfront. Each cart you will get very different view and hearing of a symphony. But on jazz AtlasSL and GFS have more realistic size and scale of a band when talking “they-are-here” perspective.

- GFS’s high, on every instruments, is most vibrant of the three. Very refreshing. Yet the extension is not as good as the other two. More time will extend more?

- AtlasSL’s midband attacks, surges = Opus1 > GFS.

- Opus1’s vocal tone is most refined and ear pleasing. GFS and AtlasSL are more less the same on this regard. Every so often can hear “hairline” (I don’t want to say roughness) in sound.

- For decay, room ambient, woody sound Opus1 is best. GFS and AtlasSL about the same.

- GFS and AtlasSL have no immersive effect like Opus1.

- Instrument distinction is best with GFS. Listen to John Fahay’s After the Ball, I wish I knew How it would feel to be Free. This song has many instruments jamming at the same time. GFS pretty much makes different brass and string instruments sound more distinctively to one another at busy play than the other two carts. On orchestra, although sounding distant away, the GFS enable me to differentiate different instruments really well. So it could still fools me real like listening in the hall on back row. Very different kind of fools me real from Opus1 that makes me see everything hear everything up close.

That’s it for now. Any particular sound aspects you want me to look for just let me know.

Kind regards,
Tang

Very good work, Tang. Thank you for these comparative impressions!

It is Opus 1 for me! (If, and only if, I put together a second tonearm/cartridge combination.)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Etna SL is my favorite Lyra cartridge. I have two friends who use the Etna SL in their systems. In each case I never would have guessed that I was listening to a Lyra cartridge.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Etna SL is my favorite Lyra cartridge. I have two friends who use the Etna SL in their systems. In each case I never would have guessed that I was listening to a Lyra cartridge.

It really is a great cartridge.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada

I have folks in the group here that prefer the Etna SL over the Atlas. It can have the ability to be very palpable. Ron, if you are considering the Opus down the line you may wish to also consider the ZYX Universe III as well I just heard it and it left a very good first impression. I have not heard the Opus.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
EtnaSL is only 9.2g. Might be better on your 3012R. And put GFS on Telos like Mike’s best match.

Tang:)

The GFS would definitely go on the Telos!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have folks in the group here that prefer the Etna SL over the Atlas. It can have the ability to be very palpable. Ron, if you are considering the Opus down the line you may wish to also consider the ZYX Universe III as well I just heard it and it left a very good first impression. I have not heard the Opus.

I also heard the Universe III (although not in my own system) and thought it sounded better than the Zyx Uni Premium I used to have. In fact the system owner had switched from the Uni Premium to the III.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Nick and Ian for the ZYX UNIverse III suggestion. But on ZYX I am happy with and done on the ZYX UNIverse Premium.

Is (are) the main difference(s) between the two cartridges that the UNIverse III has a carbon fiber cantilever or a diamond stylus or both?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you, Nick and Ian for the ZYX UNIverse III suggestion. But on ZYX I am happy with and done on the ZYX UNIverse Premium.

Is (are) the main difference(s) between the two cartridges that the UNIverse III has a carbon fiber cantilever or a diamond stylus or both?

Aren't all modern, high quality styli made of diamond? The carbon fiber cantilever is interesting as I think of CF as a good dampening material but not very stiff. Is it just me or is there a lot of activity in the high end cartridge business these days? The prices seem ludicrous and yet it is fascinating that the top cartridges sound so different.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, they are. That is what I get for posting while sleeping. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing