Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    Hi Mike,

Been about a week now...how many hours do you estimate? Curious if any thoughts at this point...

PS love the pic of your barn !!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Yes, I love your avatar too Mike.
    thanks Guys.

this week I've been off, and I've stayed home......a 'stay-cation'. what a cool thing to have some extra time. so I did a few things I seem to never have time to do. I selected an Avator......found a pic of the barn at a snowy dawn with the sun on the ridge. the colors in reality are stunning. in the mountains we get amazing sunrises. glad you like it.

I also listed my gear in my Signature, never got around to doing that before.

as far as the GFS, I'm at about 45 hours now. yesterday afternoon, as the delta between the Anna and the GFS was increasing anyway, I switched the GFS from the standard Telos tone arm to the Telos Sapphire. which jumped things further. I had never had the opportunity to really understand what the difference between the tone arms was before.

there are things we don't know. my Anna has likely 600-800 hours on it. what might that mean? my personal opinion is that it is as good as it ever was, and up till now my personal reference. I've heard the Anna in other local friends systems, as well as various shows, and mine is every bit what i hear in those spots.

i'll likely need to pull out the big guns (my tapes) to truly know just what is what.

Wednesday morning Jazdoc and Joel Durand came over to hear the GFS and then today Ki Choi was over for a couple of hours. very positive reactions.

been a fun week.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    enjoying your on going report. Gorgeous backdrop where you live Mike. Great avatar !
    Christian

System Gear

Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    enjoying your on going report. Gorgeous backdrop where you live Mike. Great avatar !
    thank you Christian.

full disclosure; it's likely rained 3-4 inches this week. I mean it's raining all the damn time. and I love the rain......but this is crazy.....when the rest of the country is having summer time weather. mostly listening to music when it's raining and stormy has a certain 'zen' quality to it so I do like it.....but still......
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    Your's isn't so bad either compared to a barn of course I'm speaking to the Cello...
    Except that Mike owns that barn.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

at about 65-70 hours so far. moved it to the Telos Sapphire from the Standard Telos at about 50 hours.

I'm in new territory and have to say that the GF Statement is stellar. I'm hearing detail resolved beyond previous experience. the focus and ease is something to behold. these issues are beyond my Anna.

I've had a number of visitors and none have left less than taken with the GFS.

I'm told that the bass and body does not fully come in until around 100 hours, so that is likely in a week or so. right now I prefer it's overall bass performance to the Anna in articulation and texture but the Anna has a bit more overall bass energy. or another way to put it would be that the Anna rounds things more and so it has that fullness compared to more information. but also the GF Statement's bass has varied during break-in so we have to wait for the final picture. and since things are changing getting VTA and VTF exactly right is a moving target. right now I'm tracking 2.88 grams and the rear very slightly down.

what is interesting is the varied feedback from GFS users as far as where they view the GFS. I suspect that it's more than just a matter of set-up. I think that not every arm is up to dealing with the 16 grams of weight of the GFS and also not every phono is ideal for .6mv of output. I'm guessing my extremely robustly built and heavy base Durand Telos Sapphire and dart phono with a 57db output choice allows for the GFS to really strut it's stuff without limitations. understand that this cartridge is designed and built to be optimized for the big bad Clearaudio linear tracking arm.....so it likely is more challenging than most to mate with the right arm.

I certainly wouldn't say it's anything but a wonderful performer even pre-100hrs. But I suppose I can imagine very low frequency bass coming in a little more. Honestly, I don't know what more you could ask for in a cartridge. The last thing I was thinking about was if there could be improvements from the turntable and cartridge.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567