Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, did you compare Mike's GFS to his other cartridges when you heard his system?

I like the suggestion to Ron to get the Opus and send it to Mike. If Ron does not like it, I'd be happy to buy it from him at a nice discount.

Compared it to the Anna.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Peter, I had the Atlas, Allaerts and the GFS mounted in the Centroid. Just not the GFS in the LT arm. The GFS has the power and drive of the Atlas, the midrange beauty of the Allaerts but with even more resolution and spacial finesse. The resolution is one of those those things that is presented with a touch of warmth...no etch. The GFS just has a uncanny way at unraveling how each instrument sounds and places it in it's own unique area on the sound stage. Like how a wooden stick hits a cymbal and then the cymbal splashes across the sound stage. You can hear each distinct sound, the unraveling, but it's still totally stitched together and continuous.

I mostly listen to Jazz and Chamber music. Lots of piano, Cello, Violin, drums, sax etc

All 3 are great cartridges. And your phono stage, music choice and arm may tilt your choice in a different direction.

Very interesting, thank you. Have you ever auditioned the Air Tight Opus 1?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And yes, in Gian's system Opus sounds better. It does a much more front to back depth, denser image with flow, more natural tone. But in his system, or the Doehmann + TAD of Tbzc, the GFS sounds different to what it does in Mike's.

So best way for you to answer this is to buy the Opus and send to Mike. Check compared to GFS there as well.

If Opus is better, keep it.

Next, buy the LT and have it set up. Then ask Mike to come over with his Durand, set it up, and see if you still prefer the LT.

If yes, keep it, else it will be snapped up pronto in the used market

Yes, I agree that, in theory, that would answer all open questions.

But I just cannot impose upon someone to remove his finely-tuned tonearm and cartridge, fly to me, mount it on my turntable, set it up with my new cartridge, and then remove the tonearm from my turntable and fly home and subject him to re-installing his tonearm and cartridge. I just will not ask people to do that.

Plus, even if someone did all that, one could argue that since my new Opus 1 would not be broken in we could experience a misleading sonic result.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ron, are you having second thoughts about the ZYX? Why not just live with that for a while in the SME 3012R as David recommends and get acquainted with the new system. I'm sure the system will have some qualities you like better than others. Once you know your system, then you can fine tune it with future cartridge and arm choices. I think it is premature to try to buy your second arm and cartridge before you have even heard your new system in your new room. But, that is just me. I suspect the sound you heard from Mike's GFS and Durand arm, even if you could isolated it from what the rest of the system was doing, will be different in your system and room.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, are you having second thoughts about the ZYX? Why not just live with that for a while in the SME 3012R as David recommends and get acquainted with the new system. I'm sure the system will have some qualities you like better than others. Once you know your system, then you can fine tune it with future cartridge and arm choices. I think it is premature to try to buy your second arm and cartridge before you have even heard your new system in your new room. But, that is just me. I suspect the sound you heard from Mike's GFS and Durand arm, even if you could isolated it from what the rest of the system was doing, will be different in your system and room.

Oh no, not one bit! New In Box ZYX UNIverse Premium on NOS silver 3012R is a done deal about which I am very excited!

I continue to toy with the idea of a second tonearm/cartridge combination. I was thinking Schroder LT with Benz Micro LP S.

But after hearing the Goldfinger Statement on the Durand Telos Sapphire tonearm I am thinking of tacking to a more neutral set-up for the second tonearm/cartridge combination. (The Schroder LT/Benz LP S combination probably would veer to warm side of the 3012R/ZYX, whereas a GFS or Opus 1 probably would veer to the more neutral side of the 3012R/ZYX.)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Oh no, not one bit! New In Box ZYX UNIverse Premium on NOS silver 3012R is a done deal about which I am very excited!

I continue to toy with the idea of a second tonearm/cartridge combination. I was thinking Schroder LT with Benz Micro LP S.

But after hearing the Goldfinger Statement on the Durand Telos Sapphire tonearm I am thinking of tacking to a more neutral set-up for the second tonearm/cartridge combination. (The Schroder LT/Benz LP S combination probably would veer to warm side of the 3012R/ZYX, whereas a GFS or Opus 1 probably would veer to the more neutral side of the 3012R/ZYX.)

How do you know what you might want or how these combinations will sound if you have not heard your system or room yet? Neutral tonal balance is but one sonic characteristic. There are also dynamics, resolution, extension, and others. Again, I think it is fine if you want to make decisions on stuff that you have not heard yet. Personally, I'd wait. The only advantage I see is that you can get David to set it all up for you, but I would try to learn how to do this analog set up stuff yourself. Once the new cartridges break in, some set up parameter will likely need to be adjusted and fine tuning can reap huge benefits.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, I agree that, in theory, that would answer all open questions.

But I just cannot impose upon someone to remove his finely-tuned tonearm and cartridge, fly to me, mount it on my turntable, set it up with my new cartridge, and then remove the tonearm from my turntable and fly home and subject him to re-installing his tonearm and cartridge. I just will not ask people to do that.

Plus, even if someone did all that, one could argue that since my new Opus 1 would not be broken in we could experience a misleading sonic result.

I was suggesting you send your Opus to Mike. He dials in for 100 hours, he gets to hear the Opus in his system, you get a compare by memory and Mike's opinion. If Opus is better there and at Gian it is better.

I know a seller of Schroeder LT (made by Schroeder) in EU who flies around and sets it up for clients. If I decide to spend more than a fr64 or brinkmann 10.5 that might be my choice. To be confirmed.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Am I the only one who doesn't like the sound of the GFS? Well, at least in my SME 30/2 - series-V setup. I'm more than happy with the Coralstone....

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Am I the only one who doesn't like the sound of the GFS? Well, at least in my SME 30/2 - series-V setup. I'm more than happy with the Coralstone....

no. lot's of negativity on the GFS according to those visiting my room (which I was previously not privy to).

OTOH I think due to the Clearaudio naming process there is lots of confusion between previous Goldfinger versions and the actual current model GFS. so how much of that bad vibe is actual personal experience with the current model GFS? and then there is the higher mass than normal which the big bad Telos Sapphire just laughs off. not all arms are created equal.

everyone who hears it in my room seems to really love it. and it's easily the best overall cartridge I have heard (not heard the Opus 1 or Atlas SL in my room). nothing at shows get's close to what I hear in my room so show performance with a cartridge is not relevant for me.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
no. lot's of negativity on the GFS according to those visiting my room (which I was previously not privy to).

OTOH I think due to the Clearaudio naming process there is lots of confusion between previous Goldfinger versions and the actual current model GFS. so how much of that bad vibe is actual personal experience with the current model GFS? and then there is the higher mass than normal which the big bad Telos Sapphire just laughs off. not all arms are created equal.

everyone who hears it in my room seems to really love it. and it's easily the best overall cartridge I have heard (not heard the Opus 1 or Atlas SL in my room). nothing at shows get's close to what I hear in my room so show performance with a cartridge is not relevant for me.

As a recent visitor, I would agree. Possibly my favorite cartridge.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How do you know what you might want or how these combinations will sound if you have not heard your system or room yet? Neutral tonal balance is but one sonic characteristic. There are also dynamics, resolution, extension, and others. Again, I think it is fine if you want to make decisions on stuff that you have not heard yet. Personally, I'd wait. The only advantage I see is that you can get David to set it all up for you, but I would try to learn how to do this analog set up stuff yourself. Once the new cartridges break in, some set up parameter will likely need to be adjusted and fine tuning can reap huge benefits.

Yes, I agree Peter. I am only brainstorming as usual.

I will not begin work on the second tonearm/cartridge combination until the system is all set up.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . everyone who hears it in my room seems to really love it. . . .

+1

You converted me . . . so much so that I absolutely will investigate the GFS for my second cartridge. I think it has caused me to drop my Benz LP S idea and to tack toward a more neutral cartridge — GFS or Opus 1 — for my second cartridge.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Compared the top wing red sparrow to two Allaerts models, a modded EMT, koetsu urushi over the weekend through a custom SS current phono using a Schroeder CB arm. Want to repeat it using the Thrax phono but the trip will have to wait

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very interesting, thank you. Have you ever auditioned the Air Tight Opus 1?

I've heard it, but not in my system. It's very very good also.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
i listen Red Sparrow in Milan Show with Vertere,Thrax and Wilson Benesch,and this cartridge impress me a lot.
I know very well this speaker,my friend is distributor,and sound was very fast,transparent with a lot of details and body

I am wayting Tang report end of this week.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Needle doctor's current price on this is $16k.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing