Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have Goldfinger statement since 1 year on Bergmann Sindre and i think is the best cartridge i listen.
I know very well Kondo IOM,Atlas,Koetsu Jade,Air tight pc1,Audio Tekne,ecc,but this is really incredible.
All my friends with top cartridge find this cartridge the best and all would like to buy.
Regards
Gianluigi

Thanks for sharing ! And I agree :)

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have a phono P1 CH Precision where there are 2 input in current,so this input read every cartridge in the best way and have 1 imput mm/mc where you can choose the impedence from 20 ohm to 100.000 ohm with step every 2 ohm so you have always the best configuration.
Is possible also adjust the gail from 35 db to 70 db

So i listen other cartridge always in best way.

Gianluigi

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the Goldfinger Statement has landed and is imposing it's will on my system.....

I did a 95% level set-up tonight. it's been a long week and I wanted to listen. i'll only say that nothing I've heard in the last 90 minutes conflicts with the positive feedback I've heard and read.

Goldfinger Statement-1.jpg

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Mike....you are so bad...

P.S. - the azimuth looks a bit off ;):rolleyes:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Mike congrats ! Curious your initial impressions...and as it settles down...

Great pics !

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
John and Mike, Glad you're having fun and enjoying good sound. :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I was reading that review earlier: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/clearaudio3/goldfinger.html

This cartridge is not like some of my Audio Technica carts that cost between $50 and $500, no sir, the Statement retails for $15,000 (for interested people).

Mike, how does it sound like?

Bob,

too soon to really say.....maybe later today.

the 6 Moon's review you reference is not for the cartridge that John and I have. that review from 2006 is for the Clearaudio Goldfinger. then later there was a CA Goldfinger v2, and now there is a CA Goldfinger Statement John and I have. they are all different cartridges....the Statement is more different from the other 2.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Does the GFS have a longer cantilever than the Ortofon A95?

there is no listing for the specific length of the cantilever for the Goldfinger Statement or A95 that I can see anywhere. from the visuals for the A95 as well as my recollection of my 3 A90's and then looking at the GFS there is no doubt in my mind the GFS cantilever is longer by more than a little bit.

sorry the pictures are not to scale but the relative length of the GFS seems obvious....maybe 25% longer extension from the body.

btw; once mounted the extension of the cantilever makes set-up a breeze compared to large body short cantilever designs. so easy to see. so that is a balancing attribute. and the stylus guard is secure and allows for relatively worry free attachment to the arm wand and connecting the wires. some stylus guards are that in name only.

a95.jpg

GFS.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob,
too soon to really say.....maybe later today.

No sweat, I just want to make sure that you won't forget. :b
Even next week would be fine...take your time...a full week or two.

the 6 Moon's review you reference is not for the cartridge that John and I have. that review from 2006 is for the Clearaudio Goldfinger. then later there was a CA Goldfinger v2, and now there is a CA Goldfinger Statement John and I have. they are all different cartridges.

Yes I know Mike; I posted it because it has nice descriptions and pictures.
I couldn't find an elaborate review of the Statement cartridge, sorry, and the reason why I asked you how it sounds, just for a first-listen approach...overall so far. I have no doubt that when the time comes you will share with us that "shining diamond" up front from your 'golden 24K' ears. :b ...Way of speech.

* I did read some short comments from prestigious people working for prestigious audio publications.
The comments were more of the poetic prose type with attributes of top magnificence...like indeed a statement.
They were short...only a paragraph or two, no pics, no system setup, no nothing but beautiful statement words.

That review from 6moons is for the older original Goldfinger, and not the Statement; I knew that very well. It is very well written on the cartridge's front face...it's missing "Statement" @ the bottom. Still, it's a very interesting review with great details and pictures...the best I found among all others I saw/read and searched for.

And there was simply just no way that I would quote just few paragraphs from those ones I just described above...Audiogon, Hi-Fi+, TonePublications, Abso!uteSound, Stereophile & all. And that "v2" thing is not an easy one to decipher because some reviews do mention it but the cart itself has no indication. I am a little confused by it; it's not like crystal clear.

I understand though the 'statement' design...with the encrusted diamond on front, the 24K gold, ...all the small attentive details that went into its hand-made construction (extremely thin wires) and the delicate precise cut of the diamond needle for optimal groove's tracking with minutiae details retrieval.

I'll be totally honest: I am fascinated by the precision and art that goes into a cartridge, and have the greatest respect for the artists and music lovers who can benefit from the best.
I love music enough that if I had the change in my pocket I would do the same as some of you do.

My friend the other day asked me if I had $5 million to put towards strictly audio where would I put it. Seriously, he did ask me that.
My answer was too long for him; he did not allow me to finish. So you can tell right there that he is more concerned about himself than me. :b
That's life, for most people.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations, Mike. I admire your continued pursuit for more and more performance out of your incredible system. I love the photos and eagerly await your impressions. Could you take a photo with the stylus guard on? That cantilever just makes me so nervous. I remember MadFloyd's XV-1S.

Also, I see you mounted this GFS in the composite Durand arm, not the wooden one. As such, I don't see the saphire plate between cartridge and headshell. Is that not offered on the composite arm? And perhaps for your system thread, could you describe any sonic differences between the wood and composite Telos arms?

Regarding break in: I had thought that 25-30 or so was about all a cartridge needs, but I have just discovered that my MySonicLabs Signature Gold exhibited a fairly major improvement when it hit the 45 hour mark and the distributor told me to wait for 50-100 hours for final sound. Do you have any idea of how long the GFS will need?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
but I have just discovered that my MySonicLabs Signature Gold exhibited a fairly major improvement when it hit the 45 hour mark and the distributor told me to wait for 50-100 hours for final sound. Do you have any idea of how long the GFS will need?

I felt my GFS needed ~100 hours. I was really mixed on liking it...but after it finally settles in...it's a keeper for sure. I'm with you...my prior experience is like 25 hours gets most...then maybe a little bit more after that. The GFS seems to live by "good things come to those who wait"

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Peter, I remember reading 50 hours, or more, for the Goldfinger Statement.
_______

Recommended break-in time: 50 hours or more. ? Goldfinger Statement cart...GFS - http://www.elusivedisc.com/Clearaudio-Goldfinger-Statement-MC-Cartridge-09mV/productinfo/CLECGOLDS/

"I followed Clearaudio’s suggestion and let the GF2 play for about 100 hours with a load of 47k ohms before switching to 200 ohms and eventually settling on 100 ohms." ? GF2 - http://www.tonepublications.com/review/clearaudios-new-goldfinger-v2/

- http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/clearaudio-goldfinger-statement/
- http://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...tridge-double-matrix-record-cleaning-machine/
- http://clearaudio.de/_assets/_pdf/reviews/cartridges/goldfingerstatement_hifinews.pdf

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
there is no listing for the specific length of the cantilever for the Goldfinger Statement or A95 that I can see anywhere. from the visuals for the A95 as well as my recollection of my 3 A90's and then looking at the GFS there is no doubt in my mind the GFS cantilever is longer by more than a little bit.

sorry the pictures are not to scale but the relative length of the GFS seems obvious....maybe 25% longer extension from the body.

btw; once mounted the extension of the cantilever makes set-up a breeze compared to large body short cantilever designs. so easy to see. so that is a balancing attribute. and the stylus guard is secure and allows for relatively worry free attachment to the arm wand and connecting the wires. some stylus guards are that in name only.

View attachment 29402

View attachment 29403

Thank you, Mike.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations, Mike. I admire your continued pursuit for more and more performance out of your incredible system.

thank you Peter.

I love the photos and eagerly await your impressions. Could you take a photo with the stylus guard on? That cantilever just makes me so nervous. I remember MadFloyd's XV-1S.

Stylus Guard 1.jpg

Stylus Guard 3.jpg

Also, I see you mounted this GFS in the composite Durand arm, not the wooden one. As such, I don't see the saphire plate between cartridge and headshell. Is that not offered on the composite arm? And perhaps for your system thread, could you describe any sonic differences between the wood and composite Telos arms?

last fall I (1) switched to the composite arm wand, and (2) upgraded my tonearm cable on my standard Telos to the newest version. I still have the wooden arm wand with the previous tonearm cable. the new composite arm wand does not use a cartridge plate like the wooden arm wand (wood not being likely structurally appropriate for direct attachment to the cartridge), so my infamous sapphire cartridge plate is sidelined with the wood arm wand. might I use it again? maybe.....even likely. i'll say I prefer the composite arm wand and leave it at that for now. this is about degrees of like....not good and bad.

in addition to switching the arm wands and cables, I also upgraded my Telos Sapphire arm wand weight to a better performing one piece version. this is made of a special metal and really affects bass performance. and I was able to switch my 2 piece weight (with that same unnamed special metal) from the Sapphire Telos to the standard Telos, which improved performance. so my standard Telos has taken a few steps forward.

Stylus Guard 2.jpg

Regarding break in: I had thought that 25-30 or so was about all a cartridge needs, but I have just discovered that my MySonicLabs Signature Gold exhibited a fairly major improvement when it hit the 45 hour mark and the distributor told me to wait for 50-100 hours for final sound. Do you have any idea of how long the GFS will need?

right now I'm at about 10 hours. I'm expecting to see plateau's of performance at 20, 50 and 100 hours based on feedback from others. it does not change past 50 but just slightly gets better at stuff. plus at around 50 hours I will likely be switching the Goldfinger Statement to the Sapphire Telos and switch the Anna to the standard Telos. so that will be significant I think too.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Awesome photos, Mike. Personally I like being able to see the cantilever easily - makes setup and queuing that much easier.

Would anyone be able to speak to the Goldfinger's sonics as it might compare to Dynavector XV-1t, Zyx Universe Premium, or an Ortofon A95/Anna? Currently I have the A95 and the Zyx Premium which are worlds apart and I've heard the Goldfinger once and liked it, but in a different system (so it's hard to anticipate how it might sound in my system).

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I purchased my first Goldfinger Statement in 2011, wore it out and got a second one a year or so ago. Never had a problem with the cantilever. Setup is critical but easier cause it's exposed.

I think my Coralstone is tougher to dial in because of the cantilever position.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing