Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
$16k for a cartridge is crazy.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Marty, Marty, Marty . . . I appreciate you are a medical doctor, but what about the Audiocratic Oath?

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won sonic gains of those audiophiles in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of audiophiles in need, all tweaks [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of over-tweaking and objectivist nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to audio as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the scientist's measurements or the objectivist's ridicule.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not why something sounds the way it does," nor will I fail to call in my friends when the skills of another are needed to solve a frequency anomaly.

No matter how dire the need of another person, I will not shirk my responsibility to plug a recording device into the mixing console whenever, and for whatever reason, I find myself in a recording session.
(emphasis added)

Ron
I missed this previously. Great post!!
Marty

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Aren't all modern, high quality styli made of diamond? The carbon fiber cantilever is interesting as I think of CF as a good dampening material but not very stiff. Is it just me or is there a lot of activity in the high end cartridge business these days? The prices seem ludicrous and yet it is fascinating that the top cartridges sound so different.

Be careful - otherwise someone will come here asking how many carats has our cartridges styli ... :D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Diamonds are an audiophile's best friend and we pay ludicrous amounts for the tiniest stones. No wonder you dream about them.

Hahahaha!

Actually, I just realized, this is a terrible line of posting to have public. We don’t want to give the cartridge manufacturers any ideas about releasing even more expensive cartridges by pricing models based on different color and clarity grades of styli diamonds!

Koetsu Coralstone Diamond G, SI2: $33,500

Koetsu Coralstone Diamond: D, VVS1: $87,500

I can just imagine the advertising copy: “If you want to hear your music with the highest resolution and clarity possible get our VVS1 diamond upgrade!”

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hahahaha!

Actually, I just realized, this is a terrible line of posting to have public. We don’t want to give the cartridge manufacturers any ideas about releasing even more expensive cartridges by pricing models based on different color and clarity grades of styli diamonds!

Koetsu Coralstone Diamond G, SI2: $33,500

Koetsu Coralstone Diamond: D, VVS1: $87,500

I can just imagine the advertising copy: “If you want to hear your music with the highest resolution and clarity possible get our VVS1 diamond upgrade!”

Yikes, I start to convulse when I see diamond grades. For our 25th anniversary last year I had to succumb to a multi carat diamond ring- my bride loves it. I couldn't stomach the thought of a jeweler .. so I ended up buying it on line at Blue Nile. It came in a plain box by FEDEX. Kinda like the cartridges I buy :) Only difference is the diamond was fully returnable- the cartridges never are.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
EtnaSL is only 9.2g. Might be better on your 3012R. And put GFS on Telos like Mike’s best match.

Tang:)

According to the Durand website the Telos is designed for cartridges between 5 and 15 grams. The GFS is 16 grams. I guess it is still ok to use it on a Telos?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Approaching 50 hours now. Excellent sounding cart, it shines on its own. Different from both AtlasSL and Opus1.The tone is now quite pleasant to my ears. But I need to get rid of some sibilances fine tuning my setup. Mid to low is very articulate. Super good in transients and instrument separation. Each instrument reveals itself more clearly in big band at busy music moment (at any moment actually)than Opus and AtlasSL. Now I have more high extension than my last writing. Less decay and woody body holographic sound than Opus. This GFS has the strengths of Red Sparrow plus better transient and fills up the holes of Red Sparrow. The staging is closer to Red Sparrow too..more push back than Opus and AtlasSL. To be fair, Bonzo told me the Red Sparrow sounds so terrific at The General’s. But I am just not into tuning my system around a cart. I am really liking this GFS. All this when it is on 3012R which theoretically was not made for 16 g. cart. I need t go down on vtf to open up the sound though. Not at all inferior to much more expensive Opus/SAT combo..just different sound reproduction. I can see why Mike prefers this cart given his preference in music and the way he likes to push his listening session.

Kind regards,
Tang

5EC278C7-E403-4FD2-A5C2-E2B3B6E99074.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Manos_Bits

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Strewth!-- That Koestu pricing is eye watering! -- And thats with Industrial Diamonds too --no?-- not the Miss Monroe versions ;)

BruceD

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Approaching 50 hours now. Excellent sounding cart, it shines on its own. Different from both AtlasSL and Opus1.The tone is now quite pleasant to my ears. But I need to get rid of some sibilances fine tuning my setup. Mid to low is very articulate. Super good in transients and instrument separation. Each instrument reveals itself more clearly in big band at busy music moment (at any moment actually)than Opus and AtlasSL. Now I have more high extension than my last writing. Less decay and woody body holographic sound than Opus. This GFS has the strengths of Red Sparrow plus better transient and fills up the holes of Red Sparrow. The staging is closer to Red Sparrow too..more push back than Opus and AtlasSL. To be fair, Bonzo told me the Red Sparrow sounds so terrific at The General’s. But I am just not into tuning my system around a cart. I am really liking this GFS. All this when it is on 3012R which theoretically was not made for 16 g. cart. I need t go down on vtf to open up the sound though. Not at all inferior to much more expensive Opus/SAT combo..just different sound reproduction. I can see why Mike prefers this cart given his preference in music and the way he likes to push his listening session.

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Tang,

it is nice to read that the GFS is not disappointing you. I never had any wide variety of carts to compare it to, so your feedback is appreciated. so far I've not found the limit to where the GFS can go. every tweak I throw at my vinyl returns more musical truth.

the GFS did go decidedly further on the Sapphire Telos than the standard Telos. that little bit lower noise floor/distortion and better counterweight took things further. so arm and set-up are the only limitations. and you have some cases of better and better arms too. so feed it the best stuff and see how far it takes you. the .6mv output also delivers greater dynamics and lower noise. you can likely eliminate a gain stage on most phono pre's. lower noise. the ease and authority on big music makes it so easy to listen to and makes me feel better (I somewhat travel to this other place) while listening. I breathe better, find deeper zen or whatever you want to call it.

likely other's in your cartridge harem also deliver the goods too.

best regards,

Mike

Timobi

Jan 27, 2019
Nice thread. New member here :)

So I have owned my Clearaudio Innovation for about 3 months. Replaced a VPI Classic Signature. I would like a new Cartridge & several buddies have recommended the GFS. Not sure the TT5 linear arm is a good match. The other issue I am curious about is for you GFS owners or those who are familiar with it what phono stage would you recommend? I know that is a very LOADED question. :)

Obviously cost comes into play. But I want to plan ahead and start the funding ;)

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr

Kind regards,
Tang
hello.. congrats for the cart!! wish pleasant listening sessions!!
Can you tell us what weight do you track?? does the 'heavy' weight of tracking bring any stress to you?? I mean 2.8 grams is not a 'light' weight.. both diamond and records may be getting someway more stressed.. Does Clearaudio give how many hours GFS has usable ??
best regards..
Manos

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Nice thread. New member here :)

So I have owned my Clearaudio Innovation for about 3 months. Replaced a VPI Classic Signature. I would like a new Cartridge & several buddies have recommended the GFS. Not sure the TT5 linear arm is a good match. The other issue I am curious about is for you GFS owners or those who are familiar with it what phono stage would you recommend? I know that is a very LOADED question. :)

Obviously cost comes into play. But I want to plan ahead and start the funding ;)

The ClearAudio TT5 should be a good match. The GFS is a big investment in a cartridge...it's a great cartridge one of the 3 or 4 very best. It's my favorite of all. In your case I might advise some balance in other areas. Does your ClearAudio Innovation have all the upgrades? What about going with the ClearAudio Titanium and upgrading the arm? Phono stage is a loaded question maybe best left to another thread....just a few ideas. And WELCOME to WBF !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing