DXD or DSD256

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Buying HiRez files obliges us to take irreversible decisions since day one, particularly as the files are expensive and we must opt for an unique format, as some labels charge independently for DXD or DSD256 files.

In terms of bit density both formats are equal, so the usual advice is "get the native format". However, many times, perhaps most of the time considering certain sites, the DSD256 files have been mastered and this implies that they were converted to DXD for mastering - should we consider them "native DSD" even if they have gone through this phase? Or in these conditions the best format is the DXD file just after mastering?

Just see:

Some labels, like 2L, have chosen to record in the DXD format and release in DSD. This allow for more editing that is common to PCM. DSD as a "container" for DXD is a very suitable solution for delivering files to end users/music lovers. Some labels, like Channel Classics, choose to record in DSD and on occasion will convert to DXD for minor editing purposes. Some labels, like Blue Coast, record using the Sonoma system and limit their editing to stay in the DSD format.
(from http://dsd-guide.com/faq/what-dxd-it-dsd#.V_6y6Mkasuc

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
DSD => simplicity at the output stages in your chain.

Mastered doesn't imply a conversion to DXD: you could also master DSD in the analogue domain.

My DAC does DXD and native DSD, if at all possible I'd get the native file from the label (so DXD from 2L.no) and up-convert in real-time with HQ Player if I could. If I can't, I either offline upconvert to high-rate DSD (128 for now) and play this or download the already converted to DSD file from the label. DXD plays well too in my DAC.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
See my remarks regarding this topic in the Challenge Classics thread that I started. Btw, I am still buying the CC files in three formats: 24/192 (for my Trinity combo), dxd and dsd 256.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Good question, tough answer.

I try to buy DXD if it's been natively recorded and stored in that format. Some of your 2L's and Reference Recordings are this way.

DSD 128 in most all other cases. But you have a point on DSD256 if dCS ever releases that...I've been mostly using NativeDSD and Blue Coast Music so far for download sites...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Did any any one download DXD files from the Promates HD Music Store? https://www.promates.com/music-store/ I was going to buy a recording, but when I read the small print I become cautious. Is it normal practice? From other HiRez sites I have used I can downloaded as many times as I want. What happens if the connection fails or the file becomes corrupted during download two times? We loose the payment? Considering the size of the DXD file - around 5 Gbytes - it will be a considerable time, even with a fast connection.

When you purchase any album at the Promates HD Music Store, you are permitted to download each album a maximum of two times. As such, we strongly recommend that you ensure you have a reliable and fast Internet connection when you start your download, as it is the responsibility of the customer to ensure their Internet connection is reliable enough to complete the downloads successfully.

It is therefore imperative that you ensure that you download one file at a time, via an internet connection that is not likely to be disconnected during the time it takes for the files to download.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wow, amazing. Shows a profound lack of knowledge on how things work and most importantly, their own market!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Wow, amazing. Shows a profound lack of knowledge on how things work and most importantly, their own market!

Well said. Blame the customer for the 1000's of miles of wire and hundreds of routers between customer and vendor. Nice.

I've found native dsd to be incredibly helpful. When I couldn't decide between dsd or dxd on a title, they said buy one-we will let you try the other for free. You decide what u like !

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I've found native dsd to be incredibly helpful. When I couldn't decide between dsd or dxd on a title, they said buy one-we will let you try the other for free. You decide what u like !

Not to mention nativedsd regularly gives you a new free track - check your account/downloads page - as an existing customer!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
One more question, mainly addressed to WBF member who are versatile in law matters - what kind of proof are legitimate owners supposed to keep concerning ownership of HiRez files? Is our receipt encoded in the files?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
One more question, mainly addressed to WBF member who are versatile in law matters - what kind of proof are legitimate owners supposed to keep concerning ownership of HiRez files? Is our receipt encoded in the files?

Nothing is encoded in the files. The only proof you'll have is the email receipt you received.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I have been dissapointed several times over the sound quality on my downloaded DSD files, I am not impressed. In my system well recorded CD`s and SACD`s very often sounds as good as or even better than the files I have downloaded. I feel that a lot of this is a hype to be honest.

Yes, I am still buying CD`s and SACD`s :).

JP

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I have been dissapointed several times over the sound quality on my downloaded DSD files, I am not impressed. In my system well recorded CD`s and SACD`s very often sounds as good as or even better than the files I have downloaded. I feel that a lot of this is a hype to be honest.

What are you playing them through? I mean, what's the precise chain (hw + sw) and settings you are playing your DSD files with?

Also worth knowing: what's your source for these DSD files?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
What are you playing them through? I mean, what's the precise chain (hw + sw) and settings you are playing your DSD files with?

Not all DSD downloads are good. They could be just up sampled from 16/44...agree where YashN is going here...

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway

CH Precision C1 DAC, CH Precision D1 CD/SACD transport connected together with the CH Link.

The Source; I do not remember exactly. But I have downloaded several albums from Bill Evans, Stan Getz, Sarah Vaughan etc.

JP

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
CH Precision C1 DAC, CH Precision D1 CD/SACD transport connected together with the CH Link.

The Source; I do not remember exactly. But I have downloaded several albums from Bill Evans, Stan Getz, Sarah Vaughan etc.

JP

CH Precision Dac use BB1704 chip. It cannot play DSD in native form. It converts internally to PCM.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
This from a review:
CH Precision developed its own ‘CH Link’ allowing PCM up to 32bit, 768kHz, and one bit DSD to 5.6448MHz, as well as asynchronous USB to 24/192 PCM and 2.8224MHz DSD and asynchronous Ethernet to 24/192 PCM and 5.6448MHz DSD.

I am using the CH link.

But I am not a very technical person, or have any deep interest in chips`s etc. My major interest is the sound and the music. The CH components give me this in spades. And, pride of ownership. This said, I have respect for people with more knowledge than myself and if I am wrong about the downloads or has said something incorrect, no problem.

The display in the C1 shows "DSD" when playing downloaded files, if that matters :).

JP

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

JP

JP

Ahh, ok.
I will check this out.

JP

it is also possible that your D1 disc player and CH Link interface might be so good as to show the relative performance of those dsd (1x, 2x, and 4x) files as less than they might actually be.

unless you could compare the actual performance of the C1 with those dsd files compared to another reference dac with dsd playing native also playing those files it's a question whether somehow the conversion to PCM approach to dsd that CH uses somehow reduces performance. particularly if SACD's sound better than the dsd files. that would tell us more about the greatness of the D1 and CH Link than a 'native' issue.

I agree with Wisnon that it's logical that not playing the dsd files natively that could account for your relative perceptions. but we really don't know that for sure.

and finally it could even be a NAS issue where upgrading your NAS (I assume you use the Ethernet connect with the C1) would make a difference in the dsd file performance relative to the D1 disc performance.....although likely that would similarly effect PCM files.

cause and effect diagnosis is not always so easy.

Last edited:

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
it is also possible that your D1 disc player and CH Link interface might be so good as to show the relative performance of those dsd (1x, 2x, and 4x) files as less than they might actually be.

unless you could compare the actual performance of the C1 with those dsd files compared to another reference dac with dsd playing native also playing those files it's a question whether somehow the conversion to PCM approach to dsd that CH uses somehow reduces performance. particularly if SACD's sound better than the dsd files. that would tell us more about the greatness of the D1 and CH Link than a 'native' issue.

I agree with Wisnon that it's logical that not playing the dsd files natively that could account for your relative perceptions. but we really don't know that for sure.

and finally it could even be a NAS issue where upgrading your NAS (I assume you use the Ethernet connect with the C1) would make a difference in the dsd file performance relative to the D1 disc performance.....although likely that would similarly effect PCM files.

cause and effect diagnosis is not always so easy.

Hi Mike.
I am using the Aurender connected to the C1 with USB. I am not using the Ethernet option in the C1, it is supposed to be even better. I will upgrade later, but I am no hurry. And yes, the D1 with the CH link to the C1 is really outstanding as a CD/SACD drive. But I realize that I might be on a somewhat thin ice regarding my statement about DSD downloads and their quality. But when I play the DSD 128 downloaded files the display in the C1 reads DSD. Maybe someone with a better technical understanding than me about what exactly the C1 does with DSD can explain.

But I am quite happy as a non-technical person as well, the system sounds imo good :).

JP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing