Do you remove your glasses when listening to either live or recorded music?

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
I forgot to add: bonus when wearing glasses - you have less chance of losing an eye. At a music camp in 1982, apparently my peers did not take kindly to my need to practice more than they were practicing. But I had no choice - In addition to several first violin parts from various orchestral works, I had to learn the first violin part of a Mozart Quartet plus two other chamber works AND the solo part to Saint-Saens Danse Macarbre - all to be performed 6 days hence.

So my reward was a projectile - a heavy pencil - thrown right at me during practice by an errant trombonist....It hit the spectacle lens in front of my right eye. It was probably better that it hit that than the expensive Scarampella violin only a handful of inches away from it.

Even today I consider my spectacles to be a basic "first line" of protection from whatever the cruel world wants to throw at me...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I usually keep them on...even when listening critically. If I remove them and close my eyes I'm likely to fall asleep.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I wear titanium "Silhouette" eyeglasses. The lenses are scratch-resistant made of ultra light plastic.
They are supra extra light...only few grams; you don't even feel them after a while.

Have these also Bob. Pricey but extremely light and comfortable. Rumor has it that they were originally designed for NASA use in space.

BTW, glasses off for me.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Have these also Bob. Pricey but extremely light and comfortable. Rumor has it that they were originally designed for NASA use in space.

BTW, glasses off for me.

Brad Pitt wore the same glasses as I on the red carpet of the film The Big Short: http://www.myglassesandme.co.uk/2016/01/brad-pitt-and-simon-pegg-wear-silhouette/#.WAA6ZeArK00

* I paid $500 for mine about ten years ago. ...They go dark outside with the sun, and are clear inside. That was a little extra for that magical tint.
I wore glasses since I was about ten, and had all type of designs; the Silhouette titanium made in Austria are my favorite ones.
But there are other titanium eyeglasses made by other manufacturers too, and some are very affordable...about half of what I paid ten years ago.

Titanium is unbreakable and super light. Frameless is best. You simply pick the style you like with the geometric design of the lenses that matches your profile.
http://www.silhouette.com/us/en/home/
http://www.eyeglasses.com/eyeglasses/brand/silhouette.html

Silhouette eyeglasses frames are made by Silhouette, an Austrian company which makes all of its products in a factory in Bavaria, Austria. Silhouette is one of the very few major European eyewear makers that makes all of its own components and assembles the eyewear completely within its own factory. This leads to unprecedented product quality, and has built for Silhouette an unmatched reputation in the eyewear industry. Silhouette eyeglasses also have a reputation for innovation. Here fashion and function come together with ultra-light titanium eyeglasses frames, using exclusive hingeless temples and polycarbonate lenses. Silhouette eyeglasses in the Silhouette Titan Minimal Art Collection were chosen by NASA for their unparalleled comfort, outstanding performance and minimal weight. ??Minimal weight, hinge-less construction and the marriage of form, function and fashion are the earmarks of the Silhouette sunglasses line. By melding timeless frame style with a variety of lens shapes and breakthrough technology, this collection captures the sleek, dynamic and modern attitudes of today.
_________

I had frames for $100, $50 but all breakable. It's worth it spending $250-600 for titanium, and that ultra-light comfort. ...No more nose marks.
______

I know, it's not a publicity thread for eyeglasses. :b I just don't wear them for listening to music @ home.
Like right now, for typing this post, I don't wear them because I don't need them.

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Wearing glasses does affect hearing.

I can perceive a sharp peakiness at the top octave when I had glasses on.
It's the same as wearing a watch (with metallic braces, a necklace, or any other metallic ornaments that people wear on their bodies).
I also perceive this sharp peakiness if I hold a piece of metallic object in my hand.

I have not been wearing glasses or any watch/body ornaments for the last 10 years.

And because of that, I find that voices and instrument timbre are closer to real life when listening to sound reproduction through audio systems.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Many years ago I suggested that listening to music in the nude (totally naked) is the most natural way.

The same goes for performing it.

tedtag

Jul 19, 2016
Georgia
Wearing glasses does affect hearing.

It's the same as wearing a watch (with metallic braces, a necklace, or any other metallic ornaments that people wear on their bodies).
I also perceive this sharp peakiness if I hold a piece of metallic object in my hand.

I have not been wearing glasses or any watch/body ornaments for the last 10 years.

And because of that, I find that voices and instrument timbre are closer to real life when listening to sound reproduction through audio systems.

I've done many experiments with the sound quality I hear with glasses on vs glasses off and agree completely with your experience above. Its a pretty easily recognizable difference in my listening experience so I never wear them except when flipping records. Never thought about the watch or metallic object interference but will try that today. Thanks for your feedback!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Was this theory supposed to apply in the home environment only, or in the concert hall as well? Do you have blind tests supporting your theory or only sighted ones?

Yes both, including live venues @ concert halls. It had to do with clothing absorption versus human skin effect. It started with live music concerts @ halls when they are almost empty versus full ones. The acoustics are different. And when you have, say 2,000 people in the audience, all dressed up, their clothing sure has an effect on acoustics.
Then I brought up the point of what if the full audience were not wearing any clothing @ all...everyone totally naked. What would be the overall effect on the hall's acoustics?
That discussion I was referring to took place/happened over @ AVSForum in the Audyssey thread, about six-seven years ago. Kal Rubinson himself contributed with his own thoughts regarding human skin (different textures of leather wise, physical influences on sound absorption and reflective skins, and neuroscience). Other thoughts were expressed relating to the age of the audience, and between males and females...on softer, smoother and rougher, older type of leather (skin). Seats materials, human clothing, halls decors, ...everything is sound bouncing and/or sound encapsulating. Of course the essence of the day was a a humorous and theoretical/scientific discussion among mature audio members.
It was even mentioned that skin could reflect sounds from some type of more reflective skin. The human anatomy, biological physical bodies, when totally exposed (naked) would certainly have different acoustical properties in the overall sound character of the hall. Perhaps not to a great degree but enough to be audible?

But what intrigues me more than that is this: How can a pair of eyeglasses and a watch we wear on our wrist have a different sound perception?
Women wearing earrings, necklaces, bracelets, crowns, ...etc., are they hearing different acoustics than if they were not wearing any jewelry @ all?

* I don't wear my eyeglasses, my watch when listening to music. And I do wear a ring, always. And clothing is also part of my ritual; I don't listen to music in the nude @ home...it never crossed my mind if it would be more "pure/natural".

The only thing that I would ask is to see scientific tests that wearing eyeglasses limit our full music enjoyment in any which way possible.
If I put them on and look through my window @ the beautiful countryside with trees, birds, mountains, lake and ocean, while listening to music from the sweet spot in my room; how can they limit my enjoyment? Would it be just the exact opposite in this particular instance where it would enrich the experience even further by a contemplative visual mood with the music correlating with the visuals and relaxed thoughts in my mind?
Of course it would.

Wearing eyeglasses or not while the music is playing can have multiple effects that contribute or not to our pleasurable listening enjoyment.
We do what we do because that's what we do. And inside of all what we do we find solace and comfort to match our life's harmony.
It's a natural human instinct, just like when we dress up @ the music concert hall with 1,999 other people.
We don't go naked because only the great looking Hollywood stars do dare...with extremely light and revealing transparent fabric...like on the red carpet...beautiful bodies.

Also, because we were born from principles and social affinities in our civilization, we go to live music events fully dressed up.
I think it's better that way, irregardless of the hall's overall acoustic magic. ...Benefits or not.
But, the subject is still scientifically and acoustically interesting. ...If we fill the music concert hall with only beautiful nude bodies from a definite age group; it's a valid experiment.

Also, make the full audience wear eyeglasses versus none @ all and analyse/measure the acoustic results. It would be interesting to see if 4,000 spectacles (2,000 pairs of eyeglasses), can reflect enough sound to make a noticeable difference that we can hear.

Oct 15, 2016
Yes & pull hair back behind ears also plus coats with collars can mess or add to things, it's all reflections & whether you want them or not.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I've done many experiments with the sound quality I hear with glasses on vs glasses off and agree completely with your experience above. Its a pretty easily recognizable difference in my listening experience so I never wear them except when flipping records. Never thought about the watch or metallic object interference but will try that today. Thanks for your feedback!

This is very interesting. Because eyeglasses repose on top of our ears and the glasses 'legs' are made or of metal, plastic, titanium, gold, silver, etc.
Can they slightly disperse some tiny sound reflections into our ears? It's hard to imagine, but I like to be fully open-minded. I never thought of experimenting; it sounds/looks more subjective than scientifically objective. But what do I know without first trying? In my mind this is too minimal for me to put too much weight to it.

I admit; I thought few of the comments regarding the negative influence of wearing eyeglasses while listening to music, like effecting the highest audio frequencies, was so so, more or less serious/humorous, and that it would be questionable.

* I'm posting Jerome's quote ? from yesterday:

"Wearing glasses does affect hearing.

And because of that, I find that voices and instrument timbre are closer to real life when listening to sound reproduction through audio systems."

Ok, what level of attention should I concentrate on this discovery from Jerome? This requires serious analysis; like having a flat panel TV between our two loudspeakers.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
This thread is inadvertently turning into a good advertisement for extremely high quality in ear monitors, such as the IE800 I've been using lately (and am thrilled with). Glasses, no glasses, audience, no audience, naked or not - it doesn't matter! :p

Oct 15, 2016
In general I don't think we allow for the quality of our hearing that these electro-chemical machine we are placed into are capable of. I have been into some rather heated debates other places with those who think because we can make machines to measure things beyond our own hearing levels that a simple machine is more smart than we are. But we have 10 to the 14th power connections within our brains & the ability to be self aware, feel emotion, reproduce ourselves, fix ourselves (automatically at the cellular level even), build things to augment our lives & fix them. Is it really to far a step to be able to hear sound waves bouncing off things very close to our ears or possibly caring sound to our hearing bones injecting other sounds into what was to be coming straight through the air to us?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I think the main aspect of this thread is this: Do you look @ your gear when listening to music or @ the musicians on stage?
@ live events with a band comprised of only cute girls, or a classical music concert with opera singers...we wear our glasses.
@ home...it depends. :b That's probably the main reason why Gary asked; I assume.

The rest, how influential the acoustics are from wearing them or not is totally moot...IMO. It has zero effect.
Psychologically? ...Indescribable except from/for each individual; there is no normality/generalization...again IMO.
_______

Gary's first post:

1. If you wear glasses, do you remove them when listening to either live or recorded music?

2. Do you find glasses affects your listening to music in any way?

3. What effects if any do you experience?

_______

1. I keep them on for Live and remove them for recorded @ home.
2. No way, only with the live visuals in sync...psychologically correlating the moving visuals with sounds.
...The musicians/singers, movements, lights, dancing, etc.
3. As in 2. above or if @ home I look through the glass window outside @ the sky, clouds, birds, trees, mountains, ...during daytime, or the moon and stars during nighttime. But 95%+ of the time I don't (when active listening...from the sweet spot).

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing