Do you remove your glasses when listening to either live or recorded music?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

If you wear glasses, do you remove them when listening to
either live or recorded music ?

Do you find glasses affects your listening to music in any way?

What effects if any do you experience?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..that may sound like a dumb question to some but yeah, I take off my glasses when listening but more often than not I'm perusing amazon for new music so the glasses must stay on..

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I'll give my impression after several people chime in.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
glasses off allows me to focus on listening easily due to diminished visual acuity. It's an interesting effect.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
For live music I always keep them on. Live music is an aural and visual experience, to me as a spectator, and as a performer too.

@ home for strictly music listening I never wear them on. ...And neither when playing musical instruments myself.
...With other people (music listeners or/and musicians)...@ home, it depends.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't have glasses so I don't remove them, if that helps. But I do sometimes close my eyes to see if I perceive perceive differently

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Considering Im working on a laptop or using roon to browse at my listening position for maybe 3-4 hrs a day and I need reading glasses , I tend to listen with glasses on when listening to recorde music not so with live tho
The ones I favour now gives me better bass with them than without them
I make sure the glasses I do use have no effect and do not modify the ear shape ..ie thin arms
I dont find the laptop or glasses affect imaging and soundstaging for me at all

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Live! I tend to keep them on, especially if I'm any distance from you player(s).
Recorded! Only if I'm reading something.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I am fortunate in only needing reading glasses and they tend to come off if I am listening and reading and something sounds very good. If I am just listening glasses always off as they get in the way of enjoying the music.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Critical listening - Off
Most any other listening - On

Tom

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Most of the time my glasses are sitting up on top of my head while listening to music. I flip them down only to see across the room or change a record. Need them for live music performances .

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Well I pretty much need them now for everything (multifocals - I am short sighted, long sighted due to age and have astigmatism) and I do like to read the notes / record covers / audio magazines when listening. So they stay on. I do not hear any difference however, with them on or off and if anything for some strange psychological reason, I feel I need to preserve my proper distance vision even when I am just listening to music. Don't ask me why! Years ago I always felt I had to listen in total darkness too. These days I don't care!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..enough with the glasses, how about your undershorts? :cool:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
You mean you don't go commando ? Much more swing that way....

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I wear them to see the performers live. Generally not when listening because I get tired of having them on my face. When performing, I actually wear contacts and low-power reading glasses so I can see the music clearly and at least make out the weird guy at the front of the band/orchestra waving his hands. :) Old eyes, old ears...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
An important point in the equation that Gary didn't mention is this: http://www.readers.com/blog/glasses/eyeglass-prescriptions/

Nearsighted vs. Farsighted

Nearsighted
Nearsightedness can occur if the cornea is curved too much or if the eyeball is too long. Nearsighted individuals have difficulty seeing far-away objects. Picture it like this: A child who is nearsighted is able to read a book well but has difficulty reading the chalkboard. Nearsighted prescriptions are signified with a minus sign and they increase at intervals (diopters) of 0.25.

Farsighted
People who are farsighted can see far-away objects with no problem, while close-up objects are blurry. Farsightedness occurs when light that enters the eye focuses behind the retina instead of on it. A prescription for farsightedness always has a plus sign.

Many farsighted individuals only wear glasses while reading or doing something up close. For this reason, reading glasses offer a practical solution for people who spend a lot of time concentrating on close-up material.

_______

I'm farsighted; passed approximately two feet I see blurry. But within two feet I see excellence.
So it is also very dependent of each type of vision from each individual. ...And between Live music @ a concert hall and @ Home from the audio reproduction music system chain.
Plus, what we do in addition to listening to music @ home...between active and passive.

So the answer is not simple as black and white. And there are also contact lenses.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
When I listen at a live performance, sometimes I wear my glasses if there is something specific I want to see clearly, but most of the time I do not wear glasses at a concert.

When I am listening at home, I listen in moderate room lighting. I find my glasses to be a complete distraction. I don't read while I listen to music, so I don't need my glasses. They don't affect imaging, frequency response or anything else, I just don't like wearing them when listening to music.

If I had contact lenses, I would keep them in. It's the frame and outline of the lenses that I find distracting. I have tried contacts, but don't like the feel of them.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I wear titanium "Silhouette" eyeglasses. The lenses are scratch-resistant made of ultra light plastic.
They are supra extra light...only few grams; you don't even feel them after a while.
I only wear them to drive, to go out, to watch live music concerts and movies.
I have a pair of 3D active glasses that are also very light, and they fit nicely on top of my titanium frame.

For music listening @ home I never wear them. I cannot wear contact lenses, I had an accident many years ago to my right eye, and it is permanently damaged and wouldn't accept any type of contact lenses...it keeps dropping tears. The iris, right in the middle is scratched.
______

I know a guy, with perfect 20/20 vision, and when listening to music he wears glasses, pitch dark black that you can't see through...they make him go totally blind. He's an audiophile, he looks like a rock star on tour. I asked him about the weight; if it bothers him after a while he simply uses a black scarf. :b

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I know a guy, with perfect 20/20 vision, and when listening to music he wears glasses, pitch dark black that you can't see through...they make him go totally blind. He's an audiophile, he looks like a rock star on tour. I asked him about the weight; if it bothers him after a while he simply uses a black scarf. :b

If I was inclined to wear a black scarf, I would just wear a fleece lined black leather blindfold. At least then, the distraction of something around my head would be replaced by some excitement! :p

Your glasses look interesting. I'll check them out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing