3 things to improve the sound of your ARC cd player for < $150

rhyno

Dec 29, 2010
in order of importance:
1) LIFT GROUND. (why they don't have a ground switch is beyond me)
2) replace the corcom filtered IEC with an Oyaide or ATL (i don't like furutech much, but even they'd be an improvement). the existing one is soldered on, for mechanical integrity
3) synergistic black fuse. (this is also the most expensive of the 3)

between the 3, it made mid-afternoon listening better than 1am before the changes. DO IT.

rhyno

rhyno

Dec 29, 2010
Cd9

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
in order of importance:
1) LIFT GROUND. (why they don't have a ground switch is beyond me)
2) replace the corcom filtered IEC with an Oyaide or ATL (i don't like furutech much, but even they'd be an improvement). the existing one is soldered on, for mechanical integrity
3) synergistic black fuse. (this is also the most expensive of the 3)

rhyno

I'd be afraid to put a soldering iron to anything I own, since I am not electrically trained. How about just changing the fuse, and where did you purchase it?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) 1) LIFT GROUND. (why they don't have a ground switch is beyond me) (...)

The ground connection is there for safety. Removing it breaks the electrical code in many countries and IMHO should not be done.

rhyno

Dec 29, 2010
most high end components have a ground lift switch.
and ground is propagated by the cables connecting components. grab a DMM and test for yourselves.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
No thank you. I noticed you mention the "mods" but fail to report what the modification sonically changed either positive or negative? I wonder what ARC would say regarding your modifications?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing