When will the new power supply for Corus deliver?

kyhf5168

Jun 7, 2013
Photo was taken by one forum in Hong Kong from Tokyo international audio fair.
Underneath CORUS preamp, it seemed to be new power supply for the preamp.
Any new announcement from JRDG?

2016TIAS_147.jpg

Toga

Apr 14, 2013
I am listening to it right now. With PSU.
One of the best sounding. But surely the best built quality.
Also the best operation software. Although cannot do custom input name.
Toga
The umbilical cords are so extremely short that I have to put the PSU behind
With back to back to the main Corus.

Attachments

• IMG_6520.JPG
    IMG_6520.JPG
    962.3 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_6877.JPG
    IMG_6877.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:

kyhf5168

Jun 7, 2013
Hi Toga,

Please kindly share your thought for the new PSU in your system. I have been awaiting this PSU for too long and moving to another direction, i.e. tube preamp. I am keep CORUS for second system Lo.

Kevin

Toga

Apr 14, 2013
Hi Kevin,
Sorry I cannot share any idea about PSU because I don't have experience with the std. power supply.
But it is quiet and operate perfectly. And it looks gorgeous.
What I found outstanding for this Corus was its blackness and therefore I heard lots of low level cue
Like I ve never heard before. Overall sound was so clean and pure. Crystal clear. It was also smooth , no
Sharp leading edge to irritate my ears on any recordings.
Eventually I found it to sounded to clean and too pure and too polite for my taste.
But if you own a Corus and want to keep it, the PSU will be a nice addition.

Toga

kyhf5168

Jun 7, 2013
Hi Toga,

Thank you for earnest comments. I do find them true. JRDG Corus is reveals the inner beauty of low level details.
Aesthetically, Corus is truly an enjoyment to look at. I admit the sound of Jeff Rowland gears have no critical points of lacking. It is rather gentle and dark background. The nuances and low level detail are first class. Sometime, it just lack of punch and weight to drive larger scale symphonies. For case of mine, I have JRDG Corus 725 and Audio Note M10sig Gryphon Mephistopheles solos. I switch them depends music of my liking.

Hi Kevin,
Sorry I cannot share any idea about PSU because I don't have experience with the std. power supply.
But it is quiet and operate perfectly. And it looks gorgeous.
What I found outstanding for this Corus was its blackness and therefore I heard lots of low level cue
Like I ve never heard before. Overall sound was so clean and pure. Crystal clear. It was also smooth , no
Sharp leading edge to irritate my ears on any recordings.
Eventually I found it to sounded to clean and too pure and too polite for my taste.
But if you own a Corus and want to keep it, the PSU will be a nice addition.

Toga

Toga

Apr 14, 2013
Hello Kevin,
My amplifier is Gryphon too, the Mephisto Stereo. Before this I have considered Jeff 925, but after discussed at great length
With someone who had 1000 hours experience with it, I decided to take the Gryphon. But surprisingly I didn'5 like the Pandora
Preamp working with Mephisto much, actually I like Corus more. But ultimately I like Burmester 808 and arc Ref 6 best with Mephisto.
Toga

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
Sorry for being late to this party, but I have now heard 4 systems where the ONLY difference was the addition of the PSU. 2 were on the Aeris only, one Corus only and one Aeris/Corus. I am astounded at the transformation of the systems. The excitement of the owners is off the charts, and consistent across the board. The noise floor drops, subtle details emerge without effort. The stage width is huge if the recording has it. Dynamics, bass extension, tone AND speed are remarkable. Textures are so real sounding. If you have a Corus and/or Aeris, you really must get this supply. I can't hear anything that would be considered a negative. You'll get a rebate on your existing power supplies, too!

Hi Toga,

Please kindly share your thought for the new PSU in your system. I have been awaiting this PSU for too long and moving to another direction, i.e. tube preamp. I am keep CORUS for second system Lo.

Kevin

geoffb

Dec 31, 2015
I agree with mrdean, he and I listened to this PSU with a Corus, Berkeley Ref DAC and 925 amps via Magico S7's, Entreq Tellus gnd box..etc Blew us AWAY. Our mouths were hanging open. 'How'd it do that ?" was the reaction ! The increase in soundstage depth width and air was large, the "air" was deeper and magical, but what also changed was the midbass and lower bass now being more seamless in progression up the scale, presence wise. The now totally believable plucked string bass on Alison Krauss "Let me touch you for a while" is wonderful.

This is only the second piece I have ever said "Sold !" after < 30 sec of listening (the Entreq was the other, but that's another story).

We are going to try the Aeris, which I had earlier swapped out for the Berkeley, off the PSU too. If it's better, the Berkeley goes away.

FYI - One thing that really helped this system was using Shunyata Triton V2/Tyfon condiitoning + Shun Etron Alpha power cables for everything, in their intended use, ie HC for amps and so on. I believe that the fact that the system is SO incredibly quiet that it helps reveal the PSU's character, in a noisier set up it might not be as obvious, not sure ?

The blackness between the notes, the utter stillness of the air. Sarah Bareilles "Brave" , try 'Goodby Yellow Brick Road' and listen to the first 6 vocal bars, where the compressor/limiter gates are too tight and you can hear them breath and pump.. That quiet. That delicate.
True goose bump time.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing