Thread: Isolation platforms for idler drive tables

Isolation platforms for idler drive tables

It's becoming apparent that the next gremlin I need to solve for is isolating my Garrard 301 (Artisan Fidelity Statement build with two arms, approximately 24" x 18" and 65 pounds) from my rack and (if possible) as much internally produced vibrations from the motor and air bourne vibrations.

Lots of threads to dig thru here, but I'm curious about isolation platforms specifically for the challenges that idler driven tables present with the (perhaps) higher levels of noise/vibration that their powerful motors produce.

Of the various isolation platforms out there (active & passive), which should be at the top of my list and why?

How do these different types of isolation platforms deal with noise/vibration produced by the table's motor?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! audioblazer's Avatar
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  60.8 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  66.6 KB

Recently I heard a demo of Vertere rack of which the top platform is a modified minus K platform . It's improved the performance in all department . So try out minus K .
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Source . AFO + Axiom, Aurender W20 + Vitus Masterpiece DAC , Studer A80, Tube Repro
    Amplification : Vitus Masterpiece Pre + Vitus Masterpiece Mono + Vitus Masterpiece Phono
    Cabling . Goebel Statement SC ,Transparent Reference XL AES/EBU digital , Goebel PC , Tara Labs Cobalts , Skogrand Markarian 421 XLR, Jorma Prime XLR , Goebel Statement XLR, Harmonix Takumi PC
    Catridges : Miyajima Madake , Miyajima Zero
    Speakers : Focal Stella EM
    Misc : JMF Conditioner, Telos GNR, Steinmusic

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by bgupton View Post
    It's becoming apparent that the next gremlin I need to solve for is isolating my Garrard 301 (Artisan Fidelity Statement build with two arms, approximately 24" x 18" and 65 pounds) from my rack and (if possible) as much internally produced vibrations from the motor and air bourne vibrations.

Lots of threads to dig thru here, but I'm curious about isolation platforms specifically for the challenges that idler driven tables present with the (perhaps) higher levels of noise/vibration that their powerful motors produce.

Of the various isolation platforms out there (active & passive), which should be at the top of my list and why?

How do these different types of isolation platforms deal with noise/vibration produced by the table's motor?
    If the motor is integrated into the plinth itself, I am not sure how a platform will drain this energy specifically away from the platter / arm board etc unless there was a special drain in the bottom of the table. The active or passive platforms will surely protect your idler from vibrations coming into the rack (and thence tt). I think you would need a different tt design such as arm tower completely separate to the motor / platter chassis. That being said, I am sure your turntable will benefit massively from an active or passive platform as you have no suspension in your turntable.

The Herzan active isolation platform and the Wave Kinetics platform designed for the NVS turntable purportedly reduce airborne vibrations and also those generated internally by the turntable itself, but I have not been able to find any explanations about how they are able to achieve this.

The challenge with idler drive tables would seem to be vibrations to the platter from the drive wheel and motor vibrations getting to the armboard via the plinth. I don't know how these can be reduced by an isolation platform placed below the table.

One approach, as seen with some belt drive tables, is to design the table in a way so that motor vibrations are isolated from the platter and armboard by physically separating them with a rubber belt and suspension or other method and then designing drainage paths down and out through the table support structure and into some mass below the table. Then this can all rest on top of an active or passive isolation platform which isolates floor borne vibrations.

Have you asked Artisan Fidelity?
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits