Chord DAVE, Aune S16 etc. - more comparative listening (rambling & tedious)

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
The problems with the SDR-400SV are two-fold. First, it is often heard in an all Spectral system. This has never impressed me. (Mobiusman was so disappointed with the musicality of that combo to the point of returning the SRD-400SV). Secondly, it is a lot of money to ask for a one box player that does not afford the courtesy of allowing one to play anything else through what might be an exceptional DAC. No USB input. No AES input. No optical input. Zero. Nada. And for 20K? Ridiculous. This purist approach is self-defeating and certainly not in the best interest of affordable musical enjoyment. I suspect its sales are quite limited due to this liability alone.

Note it costs about twice that in Europe! I heard there's a waiting list, too, as they're unable to fulfill demand… Needless to say, I'm not going to buy one, but the one time I heard it, and admittedly in passing only (maybe three songs), I was pleased with what I heard (actually that's an understatement, it was one of the memorable experiences in the context of the Munich expo this year: there was that sense of life and realism to its playback one so rarely encounters at audio shows).

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing