PFO Products of the Year

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
Yawn.

My vote goes for:

1) Tripoint Spartan Power Conditioner: Are you really hearing your system? Absolutely no current restriction. Also no negative effects or colorations, but it does ruthlessly reveal all weak links in a system.

2) Tripoint Maestro Outlet: At the other end of the price spectrum. Made my expensive Wattgate outlet sound like junk.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Nice collection of gear Myles, the CJ pieces are attractive!

The cj amps are certainly unique and fit in line with the GAT preamp. There are actually a lot of cool looking tube amps out there too nowadays!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Yawn.

My vote goes for:

1) Tripoint Spartan Power Conditioner: Are you really hearing your system? Absolutely no current restriction. Also no negative effects or colorations, but it does ruthlessly reveal all weak links in a system.

2) Tripoint Maestro Outlet: At the other end of the price spectrum. Made my expensive Wattgate outlet sound like junk.

What's plugged into your Tripoint Spartan?

I don't see the Tripoint Maestro Outlet on their website, how much do these cost?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yawn.

My vote goes for:

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your comments. I've shied away from PLCs for a while since I haven't heard one that didn't have a sonic signature. I've followed the release of the Tripoints online but haven't seen them demoed at a show or know anyone who's listened to them.

As far as outlets, they can have a positive effect and that's been discussed here already. At least some of us can hear the effects of changing outlets--at least from the stock AC receptacles to even a hospital grade Hubble outlet. But there even better too.

Are you using them in your system? What associated electronics are you using with the Tripoints.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
so you despise audio cables but recommend an $8000 phono cord?

That costs almost as much as your Summits Myles! :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
so you despise audio cables but recommend an $8000 phono cord?

That costs almost as much as your Summits Myles! :)

OK there's some irony :) I guess I despise cables because I find them horribly colored and lately seems to fall into one of two camps: highly revealing and bright or more listenable but dark. I've been searching for a cable that bridges that gap. That's where the MIT enter into the pic and it's unfortunate that the MIT costs so much :( OTOH, the table is around 10 K with the SRA base and each of my cartridges run around 6 K, so the cable isn't totally out of whack.

OTOH, it's been an interesting journey with the Summits. They've been incredibly revealing speakers and the better the upstream components, the better they sound. In fact, have resisted going to the Summit-X because felt hadn't realized all the capabilities of the Summits.

And I was hoping that people might also focus on the $50 Soundsmith accessory too!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There's something about PFO writers that I seem to have a lot of commonalities with. My system is made up of lots of stuff that are Writer's choice and Brutus Awards winners even if I had the stuff even before the PFO reviews came out. I think this is why when it comes to recommendations of stuff I haven't heard, it's PFO that gets me more curious for an audition more than other mags.

My congratulations to David, Myles, Greg, Gary, Robert and all the other writers for another year of interesting reading.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There's something about PFO writers that I seem to have a lot of commonalities with. My system is made up of lots of stuff that are Writer's choice and Brutus Awards winners even if I had the stuff even before the PFO reviews came out. I think this is why when it comes to recommendations of stuff I haven't heard, it's PFO that gets me more curious for an audition more than other mags.

My congratulations to David, Myles, Greg, Gary, Robert and all the other writers for another year of interesting reading.

Thanks Jack! Hopefully, 2011 will have lots more interesting new products :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Thanks for the link, Myles

nt

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for that Myles. Was looking at a Dynavector 10x5 and Denon 103R, but now I need to consider the Soundsmith Carmen as well.

John

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your comments. I've shied away from PLCs for a while since I haven't heard one that didn't have a sonic signature. I've followed the release of the Tripoints online but haven't seen them demoed at a show or know anyone who's listened to them.

Are you using them in your system? What associated electronics are you using with the Tripoints.

Hi Miles,

I may have the only consumer Spartan in the US at this time. I have Pass Labs monoblocks (1400 watts), a BAT preamp (470 watts), and a Wadia 9 series (90 watts) plugged into it. It is what the website says it is. My wife thinks it is filled with rocks and magnets, but all I can say is it works.

I would, however, recommend the Troy before the Spartan. The Troy makes everything sound good with no downsides. The Spartan let's you hear what you have, good and bad. Together, they put you in front of the event.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing