New SVS 16 ultras

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi all,

These new svs 16 ultras have me salivating with excitement - look to be exceptional value for money and mind bending performance. Can be controlled using Bluetooth off iPhone. 1500w continuous into 8ohms and 16" driver. This means business.

https://www.svsound.com/pages/16-ultra-series

Looking forward to the reviews because the existing pb13 ultra was a beast as is...

Cheers

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Well priced in the scheme of things. I've never heard an SVS sub to my knowledge, though. Have you, Bill?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Well priced in the scheme of things. I've never heard an SVS sub to my knowledge, though. Have you, Bill?

I haven't either, Justin. I am just going on measured performance from audioholics etc. The pb13 is an animal so the pb16 must be obscene. They are really good value IMO - in terms of specs at least. I have been thinking about adding a pair to my system for ages - might do do after my extension is built.

Cheers

theophile

Ooooh. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I had the SVS SB16 Ultra for a couple of weeks. It just didn't work in my system/room. Initially I thought it was great; however after extending listening I submit it was slow, loose, and not to my liking. I returned to a JL Audio F110v2 and couldn't be happier. No the F110 doesn't have the low-end rumble for HT like the SB16, but it's more than adequate. The differences really stand out in a 2-channel system...the F110 is much tighter, more articulate, and just sounds musical in comparison.

Reactions: XV-1

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
I am glad to finally hear someone report on the sound quality of the SVS. If you fall for the marketing they use claiming it's the world's greatest subwoofer , then you will believe it when you hook it up. But, "Contentment is destroyed by comparison " SVS has become the Bose of the sub world. Does Bose sound the best? No, but they spend the most in advertising convincing you that they are.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I had the SVS SB16 Ultra for a couple of weeks. It just didn't work in my system/room. Initially I thought it was great; however after extending listening I submit it was slow, loose, and not to my liking. I returned to a JL Audio F110v2 and couldn't be happier. No the F110 doesn't have the low-end rumble for HT like the SB16, but it's more than adequate. The differences really stand out in a 2-channel system...the F110 is much tighter, more articulate, and just sounds musical in comparison.

I am glad to finally hear someone report on the sound quality of the SVS. If you fall for the marketing they use claiming it's the world's greatest subwoofer , then you will believe it when you hook it up. But, "Contentment is destroyed by comparison " SVS has become the Bose of the sub world. Does Bose sound the best? No, but they spend the most in advertising convincing you that they are.

I've not heard the SVS 16. I do know from expereince some of these unhappy that the integration of a sub in a system takes a long time. I would add that the more powerful the sub, the more a single sub tends to create problems iof its own. We're not comparing Apple to Aple here as the JL 110 may have tools/controls/setting that allows it to better integrate with is particular system. The better test would have been to try the integration with appropriate tools , external to each sub. mini DSP or similar comes to mind.

My experience with SVS is that if properly integrated those I've tried have proven to be serious contenders. I am not a fan of using just one sub, it may work but more is better, always better when it comes to subs.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have 2 subs in my system,both very different and until I grounded them sufficiently both had problems. Now both are seamless and are most articulate.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I currently have one JL Audio F110v2 and one on the way. I believe in dual subs; especially for 2-channel. There are no absolutes in Audio, my friend prefers the SVS SB16 Ultra over the JL Audio F110v2. Our systems, rooms, and expectations are very different and based on what he wants in a sub I submit the SB16 meets his needs.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have 2 subs in my system,both very different and until I grounded them sufficiently both had problems. Now both are seamless and are most articulate.

Well... How did you ground them? Usually integration involves crossover frequencies, slopes, level , phase and however blasphemic this is for some, EQ . Care to explain and did you measure the effects of your grounding protocol?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I haven't either, Justin. I am just going on measured performance from audioholics etc. The pb13 is an animal so the pb16 must be obscene. They are really good value IMO - in terms of specs at least. I have been thinking about adding a pair to my system for ages - might do do after my extension is built.

Cheers

Bill, Are you also intrigued by Mark Seaton's new F18 (18 inch diameter) subwoofers? Mark's products are very high quality and are great value for money.

theophile

I'm intrigued by the Golden Ear subwoofers.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Well... How did you ground them? Usually integration involves crossover frequencies, slopes, level , phase and however blasphemic this is for some, EQ . Care to explain and did you measure the effects of your grounding protocol?

Oh God...Frantz I could write a book. Nobody star grounds like I do. Very simply I double strap everything that connects to my preamp and that includes 5 amplifiers. It's the same principle as a Tripoint Emperor,except my preamp is the sink. I'm below the noise floor on RCA living stereo recordings....amazing clarity. No need to buy any cables,simply straight out of the wall....I send "all" the noise back to ground,by making sure my pathway is large enough sometimes using 2 awg....not for everybody. The principle is older then you or me. Basically I create a separate pathway instead of using my NBS IC shields for noise transfer,with all the noise flowing through my star ground circuit, my IC's just carry pure signal. Ok I've said enough.

p.s. All the speakers become extremely transparent....I can't stress this enough everything becomes invisible and with that kind of "signal purity" everything integrates much more easily. Read my signatures about noise...they tell it all. Take care....

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have had tons of subs , my latest was 4 x SV sb13 subs to do a "swam of subs/distributed bass" ..integrated to run parallel to my Giya G1's (not high passed) via a miniDSP 4x10hd
Worked real well to do what was on the tin , smooth the room
Ultimately , at listening position , DIRAC bass correction and my mains sounded better so I sold the SVS subs
I would recommend them as really good value and really good subs.. tho with 4 of them , I never had them anywhere near their limits

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Oh God...Frantz I could write a book. Nobody star grounds like I do. Very simply I double strap everything that connects to my preamp and that includes 5 amplifiers. It's the same principle as a Tripoint Emperor,except my preamp is the sink. I'm below the noise floor on RCA living stereo recordings....amazing clarity. No need to buy any cables,simply straight out of the wall....I send "all" the noise back to ground,by making sure my pathway is large enough sometimes using 2 awg....not for everybody. The principle is older then you or me. Basically I create a separate pathway instead of using my NBS IC shields for noise transfer,with all the noise flowing through my star ground circuit, my IC's just carry pure signal. Ok I've said enough.

p.s. All the speakers become extremely transparent....I can't stress this enough everything becomes invisible and with that kind of "signal purity" everything integrates much more easily. Read my signatures about noise...they tell it all. Take care....

fascinating and had not appreciated the extent to which you have gone after noise! wow.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Hey Roger,

What DOES happen when you ground your subs? i have read all manner of great things about grounding main speakers...both from Tannoy fans where the manufacturer includes a grounding post...to those who have now grounded their speakers with Tripoint or Entreq.

What is the effect of grounding your subs...mine play only below 40hz (36db rolloff above this). thanks for any advice!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hey Roger,

What DOES happen when you ground your subs? i have read all manner of great things about grounding main speakers...both from Tannoy fans where the manufacturer includes a grounding post...to those who have now grounded their speakers with Tripoint or Entreq.

What is the effect of grounding your subs...mine play only below 40hz (36db rolloff above this). thanks for any advice!

LLoyd...I will send you a PM

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Report from CES : they used demo material mostly consisting of 50hz stuff, and was boomy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing