Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New SVS 16 ultras

I currently have one JL Audio F110v2 and one on the way. I believe in dual subs; especially for 2-channel. There are no absolutes in Audio, my friend prefers the SVS SB16 Ultra over the JL Audio F110v2. Our systems, rooms, and expectations are very different and based on what he wants in a sub I submit the SB16 meets his needs.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerD View Post
    I have 2 subs in my system,both very different and until I grounded them sufficiently both had problems. Now both are seamless and are most articulate.
    Well... How did you ground them? Usually integration involves crossover frequencies, slopes, level , phase and however blasphemic this is for some, EQ . Care to explain and did you measure the effects of your grounding protocol?
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiophile Bill View Post
    I haven't either, Justin. I am just going on measured performance from audioholics etc. The pb13 is an animal so the pb16 must be obscene. They are really good value IMO - in terms of specs at least. I have been thinking about adding a pair to my system for ages - might do do after my extension is built.

Cheers
    Bill, Are you also intrigued by Mark Seaton's new F18 (18 inch diameter) subwoofers? Mark's products are very high quality and are great value for money.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Benz-Micro LP S; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse; amplifier: VTL Siegfried II; speakers: Gryphon Pendragons; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks

I'm intrigued by the Golden Ear subwoofers.
    Turntable/Arm - Yamaha GT 2000/Yamaha YSA-1
    Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice(Ebony)
    Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
    Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
    Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Mastering Monitors

Turntable support counts as another component. 21 Clearaudio Magix and more.

Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    Well... How did you ground them? Usually integration involves crossover frequencies, slopes, level , phase and however blasphemic this is for some, EQ . Care to explain and did you measure the effects of your grounding protocol?
    Oh God...Frantz I could write a book. Nobody star grounds like I do. Very simply I double strap everything that connects to my preamp and that includes 5 amplifiers. It's the same principle as a Tripoint Emperor,except my preamp is the sink. I'm below the noise floor on RCA living stereo recordings....amazing clarity. No need to buy any cables,simply straight out of the wall....I send "all" the noise back to ground,by making sure my pathway is large enough sometimes using 2 awg....not for everybody. The principle is older then you or me. Basically I create a separate pathway instead of using my NBS IC shields for noise transfer,with all the noise flowing through my star ground circuit, my IC's just carry pure signal. Ok I've said enough.

p.s. All the speakers become extremely transparent....I can't stress this enough everything becomes invisible and with that kind of "signal purity" everything integrates much more easily. Read my signatures about noise...they tell it all. Take care....
    Last edited by RogerD; 12-27-2016 at 10:52 PM.
    Speakers: ParAcas Satellites ParAcas Dual 16 subwoofer Velodyne FSR18 Fulton Little Maestros Mission speakers
    Electronics: Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks Accuphase C200 preamp Accuphase P300 amplifer Parasound amplifier ParAcas Sierra electronic crossover
    Digital: Monarchy NM24 DAC Sony DVD Transport
    Tuner: McIntosh MR78
    Cables: NBS Statement,Pro,Master Cables, Nirvana Digital SPDIF Cable
    Turntable: Linn LP12 Technics 1200
    RTR: Ampex 350,351,440BC,MR70
    Studer C37 60hz,Crown 2-844,824

I have had tons of subs , my latest was 4 x SV sb13 subs to do a "swam of subs/distributed bass" ..integrated to run parallel to my Giya G1's (not high passed) via a miniDSP 4x10hd
    Worked real well to do what was on the tin , smooth the room
    Ultimately , at listening position , DIRAC bass correction and my mains sounded better so I sold the SVS subs
    I would recommend them as really good value and really good subs.. tho with 4 of them , I never had them anywhere near their limits
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . Trinnov ST2 room correction...Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

Addicted to Best!
    Oh God...Frantz I could write a book. Nobody star grounds like I do. Very simply I double strap everything that connects to my preamp and that includes 5 amplifiers. It's the same principle as a Tripoint Emperor,except my preamp is the sink. I'm below the noise floor on RCA living stereo recordings....amazing clarity. No need to buy any cables,simply straight out of the wall....I send "all" the noise back to ground,by making sure my pathway is large enough sometimes using 2 awg....not for everybody. The principle is older then you or me. Basically I create a separate pathway instead of using my NBS IC shields for noise transfer,with all the noise flowing through my star ground circuit, my IC's just carry pure signal. Ok I've said enough.

p.s. All the speakers become extremely transparent....I can't stress this enough everything becomes invisible and with that kind of "signal purity" everything integrates much more easily. Read my signatures about noise...they tell it all. Take care....
    fascinating and had not appreciated the extent to which you have gone after noise! wow.
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground&Shield: 7 x 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove

Addicted to Best!

Hey Roger,

What DOES happen when you ground your subs? i have read all manner of great things about grounding main speakers...both from Tannoy fans where the manufacturer includes a grounding post...to those who have now grounded their speakers with Tripoint or Entreq.

What is the effect of grounding your subs...mine play only below 40hz (36db rolloff above this). thanks for any advice!
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground&Shield: 7 x 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Hey Roger,

What DOES happen when you ground your subs? i have read all manner of great things about grounding main speakers...both from Tannoy fans where the manufacturer includes a grounding post...to those who have now grounded their speakers with Tripoint or Entreq.

What is the effect of grounding your subs...mine play only below 40hz (36db rolloff above this). thanks for any advice!
    LLoyd...I will send you a PM
    Speakers: ParAcas Satellites ParAcas Dual 16 subwoofer Velodyne FSR18 Fulton Little Maestros Mission speakers
    Electronics: Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks Accuphase C200 preamp Accuphase P300 amplifer Parasound amplifier ParAcas Sierra electronic crossover
    Digital: Monarchy NM24 DAC Sony DVD Transport
    Tuner: McIntosh MR78
    Cables: NBS Statement,Pro,Master Cables, Nirvana Digital SPDIF Cable
    Turntable: Linn LP12 Technics 1200
    RTR: Ampex 350,351,440BC,MR70
    Studer C37 60hz,Crown 2-844,824

Report from CES : they used demo material mostly consisting of 50hz stuff, and was boomy.
    Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12