Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SVS 16 ultras

Addicted to Best!

New SVS 16 ultras

Hi all,

These new svs 16 ultras have me salivating with excitement - look to be exceptional value for money and mind bending performance. Can be controlled using Bluetooth off iPhone. 1500w continuous into 8ohms and 16" driver. This means business.

https://www.svsound.com/pages/16-ultra-series

Looking forward to the reviews because the existing pb13 ultra was a beast as is...

Cheers

Well priced in the scheme of things. I've never heard an SVS sub to my knowledge, though. Have you, Bill?

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Well priced in the scheme of things. I've never heard an SVS sub to my knowledge, though. Have you, Bill?
    I haven't either, Justin. I am just going on measured performance from audioholics etc. The pb13 is an animal so the pb16 must be obscene. They are really good value IMO - in terms of specs at least. I have been thinking about adding a pair to my system for ages - might do do after my extension is built.

Cheers

Ooooh. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    Turntable/Arm - Yamaha GT 2000/Yamaha YSA-1
    Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice(Ebony)
    Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
    Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
    Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Mastering Monitors

Turntable support counts as another component. 21 Clearaudio Magix and more.

I had the SVS SB16 Ultra for a couple of weeks. It just didn't work in my system/room. Initially I thought it was great; however after extending listening I submit it was slow, loose, and not to my liking. I returned to a JL Audio F110v2 and couldn't be happier. No the F110 doesn't have the low-end rumble for HT like the SB16, but it's more than adequate. The differences really stand out in a 2-channel system...the F110 is much tighter, more articulate, and just sounds musical in comparison.

I am glad to finally hear someone report on the sound quality of the SVS. If you fall for the marketing they use claiming it's the world's greatest subwoofer , then you will believe it when you hook it up. But, "Contentment is destroyed by comparison " SVS has become the Bose of the sub world. Does Bose sound the best? No, but they spend the most in advertising convincing you that they are.
    Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Addicted to Best!
    a great site which measures/compares charts to many subs.

http://www.data-bass.com/systems
    Speaker Wilson X-1/SLAMMS / Velodyne DD18+
    Source Zanden 4Box Digital
    Amp CJ GAT 2 / Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable SC/IC / PC TA Opus Gen5/MM2 / PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass
    Power/Ground/Shield 7 x 16A Furutech / Burmester948+NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex Mullard
    Headphone Sennheiser HD650 / Arcam rHead/ApogeeGroove

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    a great site which measures/compares charts to many subs.

http://www.data-bass.com/systems
    ooh.....a 24 now were talking!
    Speakers: ParAcas Satellites ParAcas Dual 16 subwoofer Velodyne FSR18 Fulton Little Maestros Mission speakers
    Electronics: Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks Accuphase C200 preamp Accuphase P300 amplifer Parasound amplifier ParAcas Sierra electronic crossover
    Digital: Monarchy NM24 DAC Sony DVD Transport
    Tuner: McIntosh MR78
    Cables: NBS Statement,Pro,Master Cables, Nirvana Digital SPDIF Cable
    Turntable: Linn LP12 Technics 1200
    RTR: Ampex 350,351,440BC,MR70
    Studer C37 60hz,Crown 2-844,824

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ricjor1 View Post
    I had the SVS SB16 Ultra for a couple of weeks. It just didn't work in my system/room. Initially I thought it was great; however after extending listening I submit it was slow, loose, and not to my liking. I returned to a JL Audio F110v2 and couldn't be happier. No the F110 doesn't have the low-end rumble for HT like the SB16, but it's more than adequate. The differences really stand out in a 2-channel system...the F110 is much tighter, more articulate, and just sounds musical in comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by 16hz lover View Post
    I am glad to finally hear someone report on the sound quality of the SVS. If you fall for the marketing they use claiming it's the world's greatest subwoofer , then you will believe it when you hook it up. But, "Contentment is destroyed by comparison " SVS has become the Bose of the sub world. Does Bose sound the best? No, but they spend the most in advertising convincing you that they are.
    I've not heard the SVS 16. I do know from expereince some of these unhappy that the integration of a sub in a system takes a long time. I would add that the more powerful the sub, the more a single sub tends to create problems iof its own. We're not comparing Apple to Aple here as the JL 110 may have tools/controls/setting that allows it to better integrate with is particular system. The better test would have been to try the integration with appropriate tools , external to each sub. mini DSP or similar comes to mind.

My experience with SVS is that if properly integrated those I've tried have proven to be serious contenders. I am not a fan of using just one sub, it may work but more is better, always better when it comes to subs.
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

I have 2 subs in my system,both very different and until I grounded them sufficiently both had problems. Now both are seamless and are most articulate.
    Speakers: ParAcas Satellites ParAcas Dual 16 subwoofer Velodyne FSR18 Fulton Little Maestros Mission speakers
    Electronics: Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks Accuphase C200 preamp Accuphase P300 amplifer Parasound amplifier ParAcas Sierra electronic crossover
    Digital: Monarchy NM24 DAC Sony DVD Transport
    Tuner: McIntosh MR78
    Cables: NBS Statement,Pro,Master Cables, Nirvana Digital SPDIF Cable
    Turntable: Linn LP12 Technics 1200
    RTR: Ampex 350,351,440BC,MR70
    Studer C37 60hz,Crown 2-844,824

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast