LAMM Repair in Los Angeles

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hi All,
So while listening to my LAMM 2.2's with the great NOS tubes...the right amp turned off and I cannot get it to turn back on. Switched tubes, switched fuses, wires, powercords, etc....its DEAD. Is there any repair company in LA that you all trust, I'd hate to have to air ship it to New York.

Thanks!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi All,
So while listening to my LAMM 2.2's with the great NOS tubes...the right amp turned off and I cannot get it to turn back on. Switched tubes, switched fuses, wires, powercords, etc....its DEAD. Is there any repair company in LA that you all trust, I'd hate to have to air ship it to New York.

Thanks!

Your last choice IMO is your best choice

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Have you checked your wall boards to make certain a circuit breaker wan't tripped there

Wall boards? Are you referring to the circuit breaker for my electrical system? I unplugged the sub amp from my speaker (which are working fine) and plugged it into the amp with no effect.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi Jeff,
Couple of questions, are you using aftermarket fuses? Did you try disconnecting the speakers and the input IC then try the amps?
david

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hi Jeff,
Couple of questions, are you using aftermarket fuses? Did you try disconnecting the speakers and the input IC then try the amps?
david

David,
Thank you for chiming in here. I'm not using aftermarket fuses, and I switched the fuse from the dead amp to the functioning amp to make sure it was not the fuse causing the issue. When I switch on the amp there is a click, then the usual second click that begins the start up cycle when the LED usually starts blinking, but the LED does not come on. If I pull the power cord from the back, there is an internal click so I know the amp is getting power.

I'll call Vlad tomorrow morning and see what he thinks.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Hi All,

Thanks!

EASY: Just jump on the I5 & cut over towards San Jose. This guy is great.
True Sound
Nick Gowan
136 Kennedy Avenue
Campbell, CA 95008

Tel 408-370-7578
Fax 408-370-7581

gowan@tsound.com

Very surprised you California guys do not know him.

Now if only I good find a great tube guy around Seattle. CHIME IN.

zz.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
EASY: Just jump on the I5 & cut over towards San Jose. This guy is great.
True Sound
Nick Gowan
136 Kennedy Avenue
Campbell, CA 95008

Tel 408-370-7578
Fax 408-370-7581

gowan@tsound.com

Very surprised you California guys do not know him.

Now if only I good find a great tube guy around Seattle. CHIME IN.

zz.
I've used him in the past for an Audio Research upgrade. He is good. He did it while i
waited.

Metralla

Oct 9, 2016
San Jose, CA
jeffrey,

I have experience with the Lamm 2.1s and there are strong similarities between our amplifiers. You said you have switched fuses, but I reckon you are talking about the external fuse and not the internal one.

Turn the amp upside down, remove all the Allen-head bolts (make sure you have an Allen key that fits exactly - it's not a common size) then examine the fuse on the circuit board. It's a very fine guage (2A from memory) and it's hard to see if it's blown or not. Take it out and test it with a multimeter is the best way to be sure. If it's blown, fit a new fuse.

I had a similar problem with my 2.1s that did very much what you described. It would start the power on sequence and then stop.

In my case, there was an issue with the tube socket fingers for one of the 6C33C tubes - it was on the "wrong" side of the pin (was not straddling it). I had had the amps for over a year and had just put in a new set of valves. Once I figured out what the problem was, I could manipulate the little fingers with needle-nosed pliers so it was on the correct sides of the pin. I imagine it had been like this since new but had not been a problem for the original owner. Fixed it permanently.

Regards,
Geoff

Metralla

Oct 9, 2016
San Jose, CA
My mistake in assuming you meant Lamm ML2.2s when you wrote "LAMM 2.2's with the great NOS tubes".

I checked your profile and see that you have Lamm M2.2 monos. Please disregard my advice as it was for the Lamm SETs. There could easily be a second fuse on the circuit board however - but I have no experience. The specs on the Lamm site say:

AC voltage fuses:

8 Amps slo-blo for 100/120 Volts (4 Amps slo-blo for 220/230/240 Volts);
0.125 Amps slo-blo for 100/120/220/230/240 Volts, internally mounted. <<<<<

On the ML2.2s

Fuses:
4 Amps slo-blo for 100/120 volts;
2 Amps slo-blo for 220/230/240 Volts;
1.25 Amps fast-acting plate fuse for the output tube (V2);
0.125 Amp slo-blo for on/off and remote control circuitry, internally mounted.

Regards,
Geoff

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
My mistake in assuming you meant Lamm ML2.2s when you wrote "LAMM 2.2's with the great NOS tubes".

I checked your profile and see that you have Lamm M2.2 monos. Please disregard my advice as it was for the Lamm SETs. There could easily be a second fuse on the circuit board however - but I have no experience. The specs on the Lamm site say:

AC voltage fuses:

8 Amps slo-blo for 100/120 Volts (4 Amps slo-blo for 220/230/240 Volts);
0.125 Amps slo-blo for 100/120/220/230/240 Volts, internally mounted. <<<<<

On the ML2.2s

Fuses:
4 Amps slo-blo for 100/120 volts;
2 Amps slo-blo for 220/230/240 Volts;
1.25 Amps fast-acting plate fuse for the output tube (V2);
0.125 Amp slo-blo for on/off and remote control circuitry, internally mounted.

Regards,
Geoff

Thank you Geoff for chiming in. I did fine the second fuse...let's hope that that's the issue!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Good luck, Jeff.

Bob Hovland or Gary Garfield @ Musical Fidelity repair in Culver City might be able to help as well. Both have done stuff for me over the years.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks Keith. We'll schedule that listening session once I'm back up to speed!

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
There's George Meyer on Jefferson.

They repair a lot of high end brands. They don't specifically have LAM listed, but they may be worth a call.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I just got my amp back from George Meyer audio in Los Angeles. Absolutely fabulous service, highly recommended for any highend repairs in LA.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing