What have you watched [4K]?

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
On 4K Ultra-HD Blu-Ray or streaming like Netflix because HD is passé and not the best anymore. The thing with Netflix is that it's good they produce 4K content for streaming, but some of their productions have a type of grain on it, which sometimes defeat the purpose of having 4K, Daredevil Season 2 has this issue in some scenes.

Here is a short review of "X-Men: Days of Future Past" I had already posted elsewhere:

145679_large.jpg

I had high hopes for this one, which technically is set to start in the future of the X-Men franchise, but as the story makes for an alternate timeline you can actually see this right after 'X-Men: First-Class' which was quite wonderfully done.

Good picture in 4K, but the film just looks at an attempt to make one more movie using the usual time-travel plot devices. We see a few new X-Men and they're in grave danger but since we don't know them (haven't yet watched X-Men Last Stand), we can't really connect or care for them. The plot is explained rather than depicted in a few places, and even is a little senseless in a couple of scenes involving Mystique and Magneto.

It looks to me that the time-travel plot device is too clever for the writers, the movie wasn't boring, but wasn't moving or intense like First Class. Another bad point for me: Ellen Page and her stiff upper lip and horrible acting. George St-Pierre makes an appearance, you know he's Quebecois as soon as he speaks, supposedly incarnating a French pirate in the movie - we laughed at that - there's nothing French in that.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In Canada Vudu is not available, but in the USA it is, and they have some UHD (4K) content, with Dolby Atmos.
Anyone with a subscription here, and is it similar to UHD Blu-ray (4K)?
_________

Couple days ago I saw this:

Google Chromecast Ultra Offers UHD/4K and HDR Streaming for $69

"Wow, that was fast. Blink for a second and Ultra HD with HDR streaming suddenly becomes affordable to the masses. Today, Google announced its latest player, the Chromecast Ultra ($69). You can't order one yet, it still coming soon, but what it promises to do is to make your phone or tablet into the core of your home entertainment experience. Surprisingly, according to numerous reports, the new device supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision flavors of HDR a first for an external device and a surprising move considering its low cost.

With its support for Ultra HD and HDR, the Chromecast Ultra offers an inexpensive means with which to add streaming as a source to an AVR, which in turn makes it possible to take advantage of Dolby Digital+ bitstream audio encoded with Atmos. Or, you can add one to your existing HDR-compatible TV to experience the convenience of being able to cast directly from various apps.

The pitch for this tiny new player—it's diameter is 2.3" and it is 0.58" thick—leans heavily on the fact most people already have the streaming apps they love on their phones, with all the personalization that goes with it. As a result, Google expects that many people who use the Chromecast Ultra will not need to re-enter passwords for various services, like they would with the apps found on other players or built into TVs. Furthermore, Google touts the advantage of being able to use your phone to search, instead of needing to use the on-screen keyboards provided by TV apps.

You are not restricted to using a phone or tablet to control the Chromecast Ultra, it also works with PCs and laptops. The system even includes a guest mode that negates the need for your friends or family to connect to your Wi-Fi in order to stream. Plus, not only can you cast content directly to the device, you can also mirror the screen of an Android mobile device with it.

The Chromecast Ultra includes an Ethernet port built into its power supply, for a wired connection to broadband Internet. This assures reliable streaming of UHD content, which can require a lot of bandwidth. The wired option makes this a home theater-friendly product since it helps ensure reliable streaming for interruption-free movie watching.

With both HDR10 and Dolby Vision available on such an inexpensive device, it's hard to see how we're not headed to a Coke/Pepsi or Dolby/DTS type situation where two formats coexist in the market together. However, it's also hard to see how manufacturers that do not include Dolby Vision in their HDR compatible TVs will be able to justify continuing with that approach.

Even if you own a UHD/4K TV that does not support HDR, the new Ultra will provide UHD/4K streaming that can look a lot better than 1080p streams. And if you have a 1080p TV, Google touts that the Chromecast Ultra is able to load videos almost twice as fast as its HD-only sibling that sells for a mere $35.

At launch, the Chromecast Ultra will support HDR video from Netflix, and Vudu. Google also plans to offer HDR videos through its Google Play service, starting right around the time the new device ships. Notably, as per CNET’s article on the topic, the Chromecast Ultra does not support Amazon video, which is a popular source of original HDR content.

Regardless of which flavor HDR you prefer, the reality of a mass-market UHD/4K streamer that fully embraces the latest advances in video for such a low price marks today as one for the Silicon Valley and consumer AV history books. Expect Google's Chromecast Ultra to ship this November.

Here's a brief video overview of the Chromecast Ultra from Google."

_________

The last X-Men, X-Men: Apocalypse, is supposed to be perfect on Blu-ray UHD (4K). ...According to expert eyes on ultra high definition (4K) Blu-ray movies.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vudu 4K streaming in Dolby Atmos with HDR:

VUDU IS NOW STREAMING 4K UHD TITLES IN DOLBY ATMOS SURROUND WITH DOLBY VISION HDR
{It started in November 2015} For example: Vudu is streaming Dolby Atmos Vision 4 K Ultra HD 'Mad Max: Fury Road'.

"When Ultra HD Blu-ray discs and players hit store shelves early next year, they will offer the best picture and sound quality available in the home. But until then, Vudu just established itself as the best available source of next-gen content — at least from the home theater enthusiast’s point of view.

Announced today (November 17, 2015), Vudu is now streaming select 4K Ultra HD titles with Dolby Atmos surround sound. The new audio format, which can be found in commercial theaters, and, at a very scaled-down level in home theaters, adds a new level of immersion for sound tracks by allowing so-called “sound objects” to be discreetly directed to individual speakers, including new height channels that deliver sound from above the listener. The news comes on the heels of Vudu’s addition of Dolby’s version of High Dynamic Range video, called Dolby Vision, to its 4K Ultra HD movie offerings.

For some, this is an exciting development, but as is often the case with next-gen technologies, there’s a catch: In order to fully enjoy the best of what Vudu and Dolby are offering here, some very specific equipment is necessary. First and foremost, to get Dolby Atmos, users will need either a Vizio 4k Ultra HD TV or a compatible streaming device which, for now at least, includes only the newly released Roku 4. Presumably, Vudu’s streaming app will eventually offer Dolby Atmos on more platforms such as the Amazon Fire TV or Nidia Shield, but for now it appears exclusive to Roku’s new 4K-capable media player. It should be noted that the new Apple TV is not presently capable of dealing with 4K UHD streams, HDR, or Dolby Atmos.

Next, the user will need a either a Dolby Atmos-capable A/V receiver or pre-amplifier/processor and the necessary speaker compliment, or Yamaha’s Dolby Atmos-enabled sound bar, the YSP-5600.

But that’s just the surround sound side of things. If a user wants both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos as part of their experience, then only Vizio’s Reference Series smart TVs will do, as it is currently the only 4K Ultra HD TV brand compatible with Dolby’s take on what HDR should look like.

Sound a little confusing? It kind of is, which is probably why Dolby and Vudu created an infographic (just google it) showing which configurations are available, and what movies can be enjoyed under each of the configurations.

For now, Vudu’s list of movies available with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision includes Mad Max: Fury Road, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Gallows, San Andreas, American Sniper, Man of Steel, Jupiter Ascending, Edge of Tomorrow, and Into the Storm...and now in October 2016, many many more.

The scope of titles Vudu offers with Dolby Vision alone is a little more extensive, including these additions to the aforementioned titles: The Great Gatsby, Vacation, Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Focus, Get Hard The Hangover, The Hangover Part II, The Hangover Part III, Run All Night, The Lego Movie, and Magic Mike XXL.

Vudu reports all titles are available for streaming as of right now, with prices running about $10.00 per rental and between $25 -$30 to own.

Also watch: Amazon Studios Releases Transparent Season 2 Teaser."

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Anyone with a subscription here, and is it similar to UHD Blu-ray (4K)?

No consumer Internet 4K stream is going to be as good as a 4K UHD disc material, the former being too compressed.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's also what I thought and what I've read, YashN. Both the picture and sound are streamed prone to artifacts and compression.
Dolby Atmos is derived from DD+ (lossy).

* We got high strong winds and rain late last evening on the west coast, and we had a black out.
...No streaming, but a 4K Blu-ray movie could be played from a portable laptop (battery) with BR 4K accommodation...rare but a possibility.

I only have the regular (low resolution 1080p) of 'The Shallows' (2016) and 'X-Men: Apocalypse' - 3D on Blu-ray, but their picture quality is top-notch.
And from the reviews I've read of their UHD/4K Blu-ray counterparts (2D), it is even superior...top picture quality grade.
If you can stream Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 @ full audio resolution (lossless), and UHD/4K @ full definition with all the pixels intact and without breaking a sweat, and with true HDR, that'll be the day! ...Netflix, Amazon Prime Video TV, Chromecast, Youtube, Vudu, ...all that streaming jazz.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
And from the reviews I've read of their UHD/4K Blu-ray counterparts (2D), it is even superior...top picture quality grade.

The UHD Disc will always be superior, the opposite will never happen.

I was just browsing the review of the 4K Disc of X-Men Apocalypse on blu-ray.com because of your mention of its PQ, closed the tab just as the girlfriend came back from work, saying she had a surprise. She brought:

• X-Men: Apocalypse
  • Lucy
  • Oblivion
  • Gatsby

So, expect reviews, we're definitely watching a new one this week-end (we already saw Gatsby in 3D in Toronto on the big screen).

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I only have the regular (low resolution 1080p) of 'The Shallows' (2016) and 'X-Men: Apocalypse' - 3D on Blu-ray, but their picture quality is top-notch.

This thread is about 4K that have been watched though, either on Disc on via streaming.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
154624_large.jpg

Watched Besson's Lucy on 4K Ultra-HD Blu-Ray.

This movie is both written and directed by Besson. It starts with quite the hook, the main protagonist embarked against her will into a smuggling operation which takes an unexpected turn of events to say the least.

From the start, the Picture Quality is great, and remains very good throughout.

There aren't any slow moments in the movie.

Now, there is Great Besson (Le Grand Bleu, The Fifth Element), good Besson (Taxi), and not so good Besson. Lucy straddles reality and science-fiction and while the premise is good initially, it becomes a rather forced affair where suspension of disbelief is necessary but not in a good way.

In particular, two scenes are reminiscent of great scenes of Besson's past work, one reminding us of The Fifth Element, and one of Taxi.

Add to that the fact that I don't like Scarlett Johansson - I find her too vulgar and she has a horrible voice - and the film was quite a disappointment to me.

It's quite a good movie to demonstrate 4K capabilities though.

Lucy is 'not so good Besson' unfortunately.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
What kind of audio soundtrack* do you get with that 'Lucy' BR 4K version Yash?

'Le Grand Bleu' (The Big Blue) is a great flick.

* Dolby Atmos.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I watched live the Stanford/Notre Dame football game in 4K from DirecTV. Very cool, very clean, very nice. I am holding off on any 4K input device until more REAL (not upconverted) 4K content that I don't already have a BluRay version of is available. Probably the yet to be released Oppo player will my first 4K input device.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
What kind of audio soundtrack* do you get with that 'Lucy' BR 4K version

It was another collaboration with Eric Serra and not worth one twentieth of his "Le Grand Bleu" work.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I watched live the Stanford/Notre Dame football game in 4K from DirecTV. Very cool, very clean, very nice. I am holding off on any 4K input device until more REAL (not upconverted) 4K content that I don't already have a BluRay version of is available. Probably the yet to be released Oppo player will my first 4K input device.

The Oppo should be a very good device. Good point about more real 4K content but 4K content and HD Blu-Ray aren't comparable: just as we shed our DVDs when building our Blu-Ray collection, we're planning to do the same with 4K and that includes buying the 4K version even if we already had the HD versions before. 4K for us has superseded everything else. Blu-Ray HD can still look good on our system, but 4K is another level altogether.

Lucy was real 4K, all edited and mastered in 4K. This, together with the lack of obvious digital filtering or monochrome scenes or two-toned scenes probably explain the excellent Picture Quality.

Japan apparently tested broadcasting in 8K for the recent Olympics.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
4K content and HD Blu-Ray aren't comparable: just as we shed our DVDs when building our Blu-Ray collection, we're planning to do the same with 4K and that includes buying the 4K version even if we already had the HD versions before. 4K for us has superseded everything else. Blu-Ray HD can still look good on our system, but 4K is another level altogether.

We look at this situation quite differently. My PJ up converts BluRay to 4K and while it is not as good (usually) as "real" 4K, it is way, way more than good enough that I will not double dip on ANY current BluRay I own. The upgrade to 4K from BluRay pales in comparison to the upgrade from DVD to BluRay. We can just agree to disagree.

And for what it's worth, I upgraded very few of my DVD's to BluRay but there are a few titles still that I would do so on - specifically The Abyss. In fact, I upgraded very few of my Laser Discs to DVDs. But that is just me. And I have a few DVDs that we still watch as once we get into the film, the format becomes much less critical than the story being told.

At my age, and because I still have lots of things I do and want to do other than watching movies, there is no chance that I am going to watch each of the movies I already own again since I have about 700 of them - and keep acquiring more !!

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
We look at this situation quite differently. My PJ up converts BluRay to 4K and while it is not as good (usually) as "real" 4K, it is way, way more than good enough that I will not double dip on ANY current BluRay I own. The upgrade to 4K from BluRay pales in comparison to the upgrade from DVD to BluRay. We can just agree to disagree.

At my age, and because I still have lots of things I do and want to do other than watching movies, there is no chance that I am going to watch each of the movies I already own again since I have about 700 of them - and keep acquiring more !!

Nothing wrong about disagreeing: we'll sure disagree then as nothing shows the original director's intentions like 4K.

I do upscaling to 4K for existing HD Blu-Rays too and at 60 frames per second for that matter. With all the 4K discs we have, we also get the HD Blu-Ray disc with it, so comparison is easy.

The 4K is better systematically although the actual amount of difference can vary with how the 4K material was created. We sit close to our 55" TV screen, so some people who put their big screen really far from their seating position may not even see any benefit to 4K apparently so the potential is wasted.

For us, just the resolution makes a big difference.

I am usually not too keen in watching a movie several times either, but for 4K material I will make an exception: for once the home setup can rival theaters in resolution, and secondly, with 4K I can see expressions and especially the eyes very well. This provides deeper connections to actors' performances, just as a highly-resolving audiophile system actually also satisfies the melomane/musicophile by providing more insight into the musician's or vocalist's performance.

By the way, nice Theater setup!

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Black Mirror

Black-Mirror-Playtest.jpg

Started watching Black Mirror's Season 3 on Netflix. This is streamed in 4K.

So far, we watched 2 episodes. The picture quality is quite good. While the first episode started well, it ended up having a feeling of not pushing its concept far enough.

Episode 2 didn't disappoint though and went to very dark places in the story development.

If you haven't watched this series, this is a "The Outer Limits" or "The Twilight Zone" for the new age.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
View attachment 29689

Started watching Black Mirror's Season 3 on Netflix. This is streamed in 4K.

So far, we watched 2 episodes. The picture quality is quite good. While the first episode started well, it ended up having a feeling of not pushing its concept far enough.

Episode 2 didn't disappoint though and went to very dark places in the story development.

If you haven't watched this series, this is a "The Outer Limits" or "The Twilight Zone" for the new age.

Episode 3 is pretty dark, too, but in a different way. I love the way episode 1 and 3 really attack social media. No.1 is rather funny, No.3 is decidedly not.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Episode 3 is pretty dark, too, but in a different way. I love the way episode 1 and 3 really attack social media. No.1 is rather funny, No.3 is decidedly not.

Just watched it today!

There's a movie called 13 Sins which has a similar premise.

Last edited:

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Just watched it today!

There's a movie called 13 Sons which has a similar premise.

I'll look into it. BM episode 3 was every teenage boy's worst fear exponentially multiplied! :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing