TAS review Berning 211/845 amplifier

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The 211 Amperex will give you way more tone, oomph, bass, stage... Then the other 211s . Can't generalize sound across. Better to try

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
The 211 Amperex will give you way more tone, oomph, bass, stage... Then the other 211s . Can't generalize sound across. Better to try

I know Justin also has a strong preference for the Amperex 211 valves. Justin and you are probably right as regards the superiority of the Amperex 211's but I have not yet tried the Amperex or United Electronics 211 tubes.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Congrats and great write-up. Also fantastic to meet the man himself - I have to make do with email conversations and still find him incredibly helpful!

I fell in love with the Quadratures for all the reasons you outline and couldn't find anything in SS land to compete, although Constellation and Soulution got closest. I currently have the Pre One on home demo along with a second set of Quadratures to experiment with bi-amping my speakers! Am definitely in the Berning fan club!

ksalno

Mar 29, 2015
Hope you are going to be very happy with this high quality tube amp.

Wondering why you think that the 845 tubes will sound better than the 211 tubes; does David maybe have a preference for the former (as well)? Both are great valves imho: played with the 845 in the Zanden 9500 mk iii amps and I am still playing with the 211 in my Kondo Kagura amps. In the latter amp the quality of the 211 valves make a big difference (never experimented with various 845 valves) and the RCA nos 211 I am currently using are so much better than the (Chinese made) current production 211 tubes. Are you playing with modern made 845/211 tubes?

I’m just starting up the steep learning curve on tubes. As an EE student, I started with transistors and quickly moved to IC, so have been playing in the solid state world for a long time. My observation on the 211 vs 845 is purely based on their specs. The 845 has lower impedance and distortion and a little more power. I’ve been told to expect a sweeter midrange from the 211s but at a loss of some high end detail. We’ll see. The amp ships with Erlog 845s and Psvane 211s. These are spec’ed by Rick Brown who has done the tube rolling to test what’s out there. David runs his amps with inexpensive Chinese tubes and apparently doesn’t see the need for anything more. It’s probably a system dependent thing, as I think his speakers are either fairly old or built by himself.

Reactions: vindixon

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I’m just starting up the steep learning curve on tubes. As an EE student, I started with transistors and quickly moved to IC, so have been playing in the solid state world for a long time. My observation on the 211 vs 845 is purely based on their specs. The 845 has lower impedance and distortion and a little more power. I’ve been told to expect a sweeter midrange from the 211s but at a loss of some high end detail. We’ll see. The amp ships with Erlog 845s and Psvane 211s. These are spec’ed by Rick Brown who has done the tube rolling to test what’s out there. David runs his amps with inexpensive Chinese tubes and apparently doesn’t see the need for anything more. It’s probably a system dependent thing, as I think his speakers are either fairly old or built by himself.

Clear. Have fun during your (tube) journey.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing