TAS review Berning 211/845 amplifier

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That definitely would be a more complete comparison. But I am assuming that push-pull plus output transformer will give that amplifier a disadvantage versus the other two designs.

(And from the point of view of my parochial interest -- driving Pendragon ribbons -- I don't care how the amplifier handles the lowest frequencies or how well it controls the bass driver.)

didn't you hear the Berning at Newport 2 years ago?

your speakers are 89db/6ohm nominal, but not sure the curve though.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That definitely would be a more complete comparison. But I am assuming that push-pull plus output transformer will give that amplifier a disadvantage versus the other two designs.

(And from the point of view of my parochial interest -- driving Pendragon ribbons -- I don't care how the amplifier handles the lowest frequencies or how well it controls the bass driver.)

Interesting...Mihalis used to own 4-tower Gryphon Poseidens for years and drove them with Wavac 833 Mk1s and then Mk2s...where as you said, his Poseiden bass towers were self-powered so he was not as focused about how well Wavacs handled major bass demand.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
didn't you hear the Berning at Newport 2 years ago?

your speakers are 89db/6ohm nominal, but not sure the curve though.

I don't remember. If I did I was not paying attention.

I do not know what is the impedance curve on the Pendragon ribbon panels. But 80 watts of anything may be too few watts. Plus I would be giving up the excess headroom concept that I subscribe to in general.

But someday I certainly would like to try the Berning 211/845s to find out. On my solo vocal and simple acoustic accompaniment stuff I might not need the headroom that Mike L likes in his system for complex classical.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone compared in the same system the 211/845s versus the Quadratures?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I don't remember. If I did I was not paying attention.

I do not know what is the impedance curve on the Pendragon ribbon panels. But 80 watts of anything may be too few watts. Plus I would be giving up the excess headroom concept that I subscribe to in general.

But someday I certainly would like to try the Berning 211/845s to find out. On my solo vocal and simple acoustic accompaniment stuff I might not need the headroom that Mike L likes in his system for complex classical.

It was the Kaiser Kawero room - thought you and Steve were around the corner from me, can't remember.

You can drive to Ric Brown's place in north SD and hear all the Berning amps on Tidal speakers.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interesting...Mihalis used to own 4-tower Gryphon Poseidens for years and drove them with Wavac 833 Mk1s and then Mk2s...where as you said, his Poseiden bass towers were self-powered so he was not as focused about how well Wavacs handled major bass demand.

Interesting . . . I am thinking along the same line. But Poseiden is 94dB sensitivity.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'd be surprised if this amp (211/845) could handle the Gryphon's. it could not properly handle the MM7's in my room and they are a much more efficient. similar load.

Thank you, Mike. That is a very interesting data point.

With your mid/treble towers being so efficient why do you think the 211/845s could not do the job? Do you think the amps just couldn't control the 4 eleven inch drivers you have on each side?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thank you, Mike. That is a very interesting data point.

With your mid/treble towers being so efficient why do you think the 211/845s could not do the job? Do you think the amps just couldn't control the 4 eleven inch drivers you have on each side?

of course, the biggest problem for the Berning's was the job that the dart 458 mono blocks do. they set the bar very high....and expose the lack of authority and space from the Berning. the musical flow is lacking when a speaker is only adequately powered without any headroom for the music to breathe.....and give it that 'ease' and 'effortlessness' that we melt into.

and many modestly powered tube amplifiers (matched to relatively efficient speakers in large rooms) would be similarly exposed.

you choose your attributes. too much power is typically the right amount. the enemy of the very good is the excellent.

and I liked what the 211/845 did in my system. but it's more an amp for a 16ohm easy load 100+db efficient horn where it would be the brute amp, and not the wanna-be.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron and Mike, I really can't see where the market for this amp is going to be beyond horns or high efficiency designs like my Zus
And at this price, surely gear like the Robert Koda is going to be the more stellar option
I find it fascinating that Dave Berning sold the licence to make the ZOTL gear to Linear Tube Audio whom by all accounts are making better sounding gear at 1/3 the price of Dave's originals, and now he's gone into uber priced gear
It seems like an amp w'out a target audience
And at these prices, being merely "very good" doesn't cut it, gear needs to be exemplary like the Koda 300B based tube amps

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting . . . I am thinking along the same line. But Poseiden is 94dB sensitivity.

Mihalis shifted from the Poseidon to the Marten 4 towers, and from Wavac to Vitus

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
of course, the biggest problem for the Berning's was the job that the dart 458 mono blocks do. they set the bar very high....and expose the lack of authority and space from the Berning. the musical flow is lacking when a speaker is only adequately powered without any headroom for the music to breathe.....and give it that 'ease' and 'effortlessness' that we melt into.

and many modestly powered tube amplifiers (matched to relatively efficient speakers in large rooms) would be similarly exposed.

you choose your attributes. too much power is typically the right amount. the enemy of the very good is the excellent.

and I liked what the 211/845 did in my system. but it's more an amp for a 16ohm easy load 100+db efficient horn where it would be the brute amp, and not the wanna-be.

Mike,

Didn't you consider that perhaps the DartZeel preamplfier was not the best drive for the Berning? I have found that several tube amplifers are critical on match and need a tube preamplifier. When I owned the old NH18 I found that is sounded very good on several SS ampilfiers, but was not a good match for ARC, cj or the Atma-sphere MA2 OTL.

IMHO the preamplifier is a critical part of most systems and needs a matching source and amplifier.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

Didn't you consider that perhaps the DartZeel preamplfier was not the best drive for the Berning? I have found that several tube amplifers are critical on match and need a tube preamplifier. When I owned the old NH18 I found that is sounded very good on several SS ampilfiers, but was not a good match for ARC, cj or the Atma-sphere MA2 OTL.

IMHO the preamplifier is a critical part of most systems and needs a matching source and amplifier.

on some level I see your point. however; the delta of difference was not subtle in this case. more like.....right<-->not right. and Ricky Brown, the impresario of the Berning product, agreed with me. if he felt that a different pre would have made significant difference we would have said so. he knew my system and contacted me unsolicited and asked to try them in my system. he thought they would work fine with my gear.

the system was essentially a different lesser one with the Berning amps.

if this was a powerful tube amplifier that could move enough air to compete with the dart monos, then synergy might become the story. that was not this.

I think that the Berning 211/845 monos are one of the best tube amps I've heard, and would gladly recommend them as a great choice properly matched to room and speaker. he told me that the most popular pairing for the 211/845 was the AG Trios.

• Love
Reactions: French Fred

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Mihalis shifted from the Poseidon to the Marten 4 towers, and from Wavac to Vitus

Yes, he went from Wavac 833 MkIIs to Vitus Masterpiece Reference along with switching from Poseidens to (i believe Coltrane 2s) though I heard whispers he is now looking into the Rockport Arrakis which I have discussed offline with him for years.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, he went from Wavac 833 MkIIs to Vitus Masterpiece Reference along with switching from Poseidens to (i believe Coltrane 2s) though I heard whispers he is now looking into the Rockport Arrakis which I have discussed offline with him for years.

Interesting. But he is satisfied with the Vitus I presume?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting. But he is satisfied with the Vitus I presume?

have not spoken in some time...believe he still uses them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing