HDMI cable question

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
In my HT I'm currently running an Epson Pro Cinema 6010 that's being fed from an HDMI cable that was purchased 9 yrs ago. I have no idea what issue it is...HDMI 1.XX? I am planning to upgrade to the new Epson Pro Cinema 604UB that has "deep color" and is 4K compatible. Question: will my 9yr old HDMI cable support the new Epson 6040UB's features? Thanks guys!

ps...I should have pointed out that the HDMI cable I have, I'm stuck with...it's run in the ceiling and walls..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I believe 1.4 will support 4K but the support is limited. I have no idea what the connection standard for full/native 4k is. 's all I got right now buddy.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hi, es347. I inquired the same thing when I was at Sam's club when I bought the 4K TV a couple of months ago and "he" stated that my old cables were not compatible to get the full resolution. Keep in mind the source of which I was relayed this information from though. FWIW, they didn't have any of the cables in stock that weekend and the difference between the 4K TV I currently have and the old one was rather significant, so take what he said with a grain of salt. I too am interested in the correct answer of your question, so thank you for asking and I'll be watching for something a little bit more concrete than an answer from a Sam's Club TV sales guy.

Tom

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
In my HT I'm currently running an Epson Pro Cinema 6010 that's being fed from an HDMI cable that was purchased 9 yrs ago. I have no idea what issue it is...HDMI 1.XX? I am planning to upgrade to the new Epson Pro Cinema 604UB that has "deep color" and is 4K compatible. Question: will my 9yr old HDMI cable support the new Epson 6040UB's features? Thanks guys!

ps...I should have pointed out that the HDMI cable I have, I'm stuck with...it's run in the ceiling and walls..

You definitely don't have an HDMI 1.4 cable. Version 1.3 was released in June of 2006 but the devices and cables lag behing the release dates. So you most likely have version 1.2 cable.

What do you loose? A lot compared to a 1.4 cable?

Deep color, auto lip-sync, Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio, 3D video, 1920x1080 @ 120hz, 4k @ 30hz.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..just got off the phone with Epson tech support and was assured that any functioning HDMI cable would not limit the 6040UB. I pressed her hard on this but she didn't waver. I got the impression she had been asked this same question several times before. The 5040UB is actually a wireless FP whereas the 6040 is not but the 5040 has a white chassis which is a no no. Plus the 6040 comes with a spare bulb, a cable cover and an additional yr on the warranty. From the reviews it's apparently way better than my 6010 which is excellent. Decisions decisions..

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
You definitely don't have an HDMI 1.4 cable. Version 1.3 was released in June of 2006 but the devices and cables lag behing the release dates. So you most likely have version 1.2 cable.

What do you loose? A lot compared to a 1.4 cable?

Deep color, auto lip-sync, Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio, 3D video, 1920x1080 @ 120hz, 4k @ 30hz.

..the cable was purchased in 2007 for the record. I'm not following you...are you saying with a 1.2 I'd lose all the functionality you've mentioned? Clarification please..

ps...my cable is likely 1.3??

ps2...with my current Pro Cinema 6010 I've got DTS Master Audio, 3D, Dolby TrueHD...all successfully working with this 9 yr old cable...forgive my obvious ignorance here but am quite confused by your statements

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Cables dont have version numbers. Hdmi org scuffs at any company using such for cables. Epson info is right with one exception. Not all hdmi cables are up to spec and problems show up when you run them faster. What is the length and brand?

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Cables dont have version numbers. Hdmi org scuffs at any company using such for cables. Epson info is right with one exception. Not all hdmi cables are up to spec and problems show up when you run them faster. What is the length and brand?

..25'....BestDeal...you won't find them...out of business. For what it's worth the cable is quite substantial and well constructed..

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You should have a good shot at it working. Start at 1080p and go up to see if it keeps working.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
You should have a good shot at it working. Start at 1080p and go up to see if it keeps working.

..thanks Amir...I currently have an Epson 6010 and successfully run at 1080p with no problem

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..just spoke with another lady in FP tech support and asked the same question. She put me on hold to check her resources and came back with the same answer...my old cable will work and provide full functionality...sounds like I may be good to go..

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
..the cable was purchased in 2007 for the record. I'm not following you...are you saying with a 1.2 I'd lose all the functionality you've mentioned? Clarification please..

ps...my cable is likely 1.3??

ps2...with my current Pro Cinema 6010 I've got DTS Master Audio, 3D, Dolby TrueHD...all successfully working with this 9 yr old cable...forgive my obvious ignorance here but am quite confused by your statements

The items listed are the functional differences between HDMI 1.2 and HDMI 1.4

Some features of later versions can only be supported if the physical wires are in the cabling. For instance Ethernet support. If you have 1.3 wiring then you will probably be fine. The frequency requirements changed from 165 MHz to 340 MHz with the advent of version 1.3. The physical wires between 1.3 and 1.4 are the same so the wires are present. Cables are "certified" to run at minimum speeds and therefore could carry a logo saying so. This however did not mean that a cable of older vintage could not support a higher speed. It will depend on the specific cable and to a large extend how long the cable is. You didn't mention the length of cable in the wall.

But to be clear about this, just because you hook it up and it works (meaning you have video and sound) does not mean that it is running with full features and full resolution. The HDMI interface is designed to be back compatible and the two connected components will "negotiate" speed and functional set.

It sounds like replacing the cable in the wall would be a royal pain. So, if it is a 1.3 cable it is very likely that it will work at full resolution assuming that the length is not excessive. Give it a try.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..thank you sir...going for it!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If your new front projector is 1080p (lo-res), your old HDMI cable will do (most likely).

But with a new UHD TV or front projector (4K), you need @ minimum a HDMI High Speed Cable (and with version 1.3 or 1.4 there is still no guaranty, if not high speed). Best is to get a HDMI high speed cable...one not too old.

And! Depending on your UHD TV or 4K front projector, the length of the HDMI cable, even with a 4K HDMI high speed cable, it could hit a bottleneck, and not working. For long runs (30-60+ feet) you can get an active (power booster) HDMI cable: • http://www.hdmi.org/installers/longcablelengths.aspx

https://turbofuture.com/computers/do-i-need-hdmi-cable-4k-hdmi-20-guide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

** If watching 4K Blu-rays and/or true 4K video content from some TV/Internet service providers on a true 4K TV or screen ? High Speed HDMI cable.
_______

*** The Epson PC 6040UB is NOT a TRUE UHD (4K) front projector. It supports a HDMI 4K connection, but doesn't project true 4K images.
http://www.soundandvision.com/category/projector-reviews

The true native 4K front projectors that I am aware off cost considerably more than $4,000 (MSRP). Sony has one for $25,000+ (MSRP).
Other Sony, JVC, Epson, ...less expensive 4K projectors upscale to 4K, and are NOT NATIVE 4K.
http://4k.com/projector/

I'm waiting for a true native 4K front projector for $5,000 or less. Perhaps by the year 2020.
_______

? http://hometheaterreview.com/the-state-of-4k-front-projection/

Last edited:

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
<<Best is to get a HDMI high speed cable...one not too old.>>...and open up walls and ceiling...no thanks Bob. And yes it's not native 4K but read the reviews. Some reviewers thought the picture was equal to 4K. Can't replace the cable...read my initial post...that's what this whole thread was about...whew..

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I've read your first post very very well. I did all the research about your old and your new projector. I did the research of HDMI cables from 2007 (nine years ago). I provided pretty much all you need to know, for today and tomorrow.

The rest is up to you; me I just give you my best time. Never I told you what to do, I simply shared info...the best info to my knowledge from my research.

* Caelin's last line from above: "It sounds like replacing the cable in the wall would be a royal pain. So, if it is a 1.3 cable it is very likely that it will work at full resolution assuming that the length is not excessive. Give it a try."

If it works fine, if it doesn't you have all the info now.

Here's something else: I've read comments from hi-end videophiles who had great picture quality until they replace their HDMI cable with superior ones and bang, the picture quality, and the sound quality too, improved. But that, is easy to test; you don't have to open your walls and ceiling for that.

* Do you have the exact model/brand of your HDMI cable right now, and how many feet long is it? What HDMI source(s) are you using?
I guess not, as you said on your first post.
_________

HDMI cables are not all created equal, and there is too much confusion still today about compatibility between them and the audio/video components used.
I can see few years from now...with 8K the day high-end HDMI cables will sell for thousands of dollars.

Last edited:

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I've read your first post very very well. I did all the research about your old and your new projector. I did the research of HDMI cables from 2007 (nine years ago). I provided pretty much all you need to know, for today and tomorrow.

The rest is up to you; me I just give you my best time. Never I told you what to do, I simply shared info...the best info to my knowledge from my research.

..you certainly did your research Bob...thank you. Replacing the cable is not an option..

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..will do. I may go with the 5040UBe which has identical functionality and is wireless. It has a white chassis which we really don't want in our HT...dilemma

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You can buy a small can of black paint...even a spray can. :b ...Adios dilemma.
{Just cover all the parts; buttons, jack's panel, lens, the fan from the inside, etc. with tape.}

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing