Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HDMI cable question

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] es347's Avatar

HDMI cable question

In my HT I'm currently running an Epson Pro Cinema 6010 that's being fed from an HDMI cable that was purchased 9 yrs ago. I have no idea what issue it is...HDMI 1.XX? I am planning to upgrade to the new Epson Pro Cinema 604UB that has "deep color" and is 4K compatible. Question: will my 9yr old HDMI cable support the new Epson 6040UB's features? Thanks guys!

ps...I should have pointed out that the HDMI cable I have, I'm stuck with...it's run in the ceiling and walls..

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    I believe 1.4 will support 4K but the support is limited. I have no idea what the connection standard for full/native 4k is. 's all I got right now buddy.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Hi, es347. I inquired the same thing when I was at Sam's club when I bought the 4K TV a couple of months ago and "he" stated that my old cables were not compatible to get the full resolution. Keep in mind the source of which I was relayed this information from though. FWIW, they didn't have any of the cables in stock that weekend and the difference between the 4K TV I currently have and the old one was rather significant, so take what he said with a grain of salt. I too am interested in the correct answer of your question, so thank you for asking and I'll be watching for something a little bit more concrete than an answer from a Sam's Club TV sales guy.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Quote Originally Posted by es347 View Post
    In my HT I'm currently running an Epson Pro Cinema 6010 that's being fed from an HDMI cable that was purchased 9 yrs ago. I have no idea what issue it is...HDMI 1.XX? I am planning to upgrade to the new Epson Pro Cinema 604UB that has "deep color" and is 4K compatible. Question: will my 9yr old HDMI cable support the new Epson 6040UB's features? Thanks guys!

ps...I should have pointed out that the HDMI cable I have, I'm stuck with...it's run in the ceiling and walls..
    You definitely don't have an HDMI 1.4 cable. Version 1.3 was released in June of 2006 but the devices and cables lag behing the release dates. So you most likely have version 1.2 cable.

What do you loose? A lot compared to a 1.4 cable?

Deep color, auto lip-sync, Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio, 3D video, 1920x1080 @ 120hz, 4k @ 30hz.
    Caelin Gabriel
    President
    Shunyata Research

If you want to contact me, send a message to info@shunyata.com

..just got off the phone with Epson tech support and was assured that any functioning HDMI cable would not limit the 6040UB. I pressed her hard on this but she didn't waver. I got the impression she had been asked this same question several times before. The 5040UB is actually a wireless FP whereas the 6040 is not but the 5040 has a white chassis which is a no no. Plus the 6040 comes with a spare bulb, a cable cover and an additional yr on the warranty. From the reviews it's apparently way better than my 6010 which is excellent. Decisions decisions..

Quote Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
    You definitely don't have an HDMI 1.4 cable. Version 1.3 was released in June of 2006 but the devices and cables lag behing the release dates. So you most likely have version 1.2 cable.

What do you loose? A lot compared to a 1.4 cable?

Deep color, auto lip-sync, Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio, 3D video, 1920x1080 @ 120hz, 4k @ 30hz.
    ..the cable was purchased in 2007 for the record. I'm not following you...are you saying with a 1.2 I'd lose all the functionality you've mentioned? Clarification please..

ps...my cable is likely 1.3??

ps2...with my current Pro Cinema 6010 I've got DTS Master Audio, 3D, Dolby TrueHD...all successfully working with this 9 yr old cable...forgive my obvious ignorance here but am quite confused by your statements

Banned
    Cables dont have version numbers. Hdmi org scuffs at any company using such for cables. Epson info is right with one exception. Not all hdmi cables are up to spec and problems show up when you run them faster. What is the length and brand?

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Cables dont have version numbers. Hdmi org scuffs at any company using such for cables. Epson info is right with one exception. Not all hdmi cables are up to spec and problems show up when you run them faster. What is the length and brand?
    ..25'....BestDeal...you won't find them...out of business. For what it's worth the cable is quite substantial and well constructed..

Banned
    You should have a good shot at it working. Start at 1080p and go up to see if it keeps working.

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    You should have a good shot at it working. Start at 1080p and go up to see if it keeps working.
    ..thanks Amir...I currently have an Epson 6010 and successfully run at 1080p with no problem

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast