Tokyo Show Launch of New Flagship GIYA G1 "Spirit"

GIYA_Spirit.jpg

Vivid Audio launched their new flagship speaker over the past weekend at the Tokyo International Audio Show and at the Hi Fi Messen in Norway.

The driving quest behind Vivid Audio is the continuous quest for perfection. The designer Lawrence Dickie regularly points out the importance of “reducing resonance and reflection” at the core to create the cleanest window into the music. As he said in a talk in Europe recently “when you first hear a Vivid Audio loudspeaker you may well think there is something missing - well you would be correct, what is missing is colouration”.

GIYA Spirit is the culmination of years of work during the development of the GIYA line where it became obvious that should we build a new GIYA flagship speaker we would make noteworthy advances to the product line by doing so. The Spirit projects the logical enhancement of our flagship speaker, the GIYA G1 to the Spirit.

Spirit has come about because of the incredible performance it is able to deliver due to these numerous enhancements. Spirit utilises a completely new carbon stiffened 125mm low mid driver which has a flat frequency response to beyond 10khz! This is certainly a world first.

The C225 bass units now use a motor assembly able to handle double the power of the current G1 design, from 500W to 1,000W. A 100mm copper clad aluminium edge wound single layered voice coil is used for the first time. The new D26k and D50 drivers (B1 Decade style), are used in conjunction with these new drivers. New cross over topologies are implemented with new components exhibiting improved thermal tracking. High quality 99.9% OFC copper air cored inductors are used throughout.

If you thought that the Giya G1 had state of the art bass, then you will be bowled over when you hear what the redesigned 11 1/2"woofers are capable of. With twice the power handling, greater excursion, larger diameter voice coil and neodymium magnets that are approx. twice the size of the regular Giya G1's woofers.

GIYA-Spirit_Xover.jpg
The lower midrange woofer has also been updated and delivers a fuller, richer midrange compared to previous Giyas. The highs have not been forgotten; building upon the crossover technology designed for the B1 Decade, the high frequency performance is now airy & silky smooth. A new cabinet design with extensive new bracing & strengthening, that is 4" lower than the Giya G1, puts the tweeter on axis with the listener's ears. Finally, the crossover has been removed from the speaker cabinet and placed in its own carbon fiber enclosure. Thus removing the crossover components from the vibration inside the cabinet itself; giving a purer less corrupted musical signal.

We will announce at a later date the official launch of this exciting new reference caliber loudspeaker system and also plan on showing these at CES 2107. Stay tuned.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Philip, Thank you for updating us on the continued advancements of the Giya line. I am sure the new version of the Giya G1 must really be something special. The idea of relocating the all important x-over parts away from the cabinet is an old one....but one that IMHO has tremendous merit. I remember having a discussion years ago with Paul Hales about this very issue. ( He had taken pains to do exactly the same thing with his then flagship speaker..The Paul Hales Signatures Two's. Paul strongly believed that no SOTA speaker could really be called such unless the x-over was so isolated). Frankly, I have been a little surprised that not more pretenders to the throne have not do this very same thing!
Cannot wait to hear the new "Spirit". :cool:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I so wanted to be there but my JP visa expired and work beckoned. I had no idea Stella does the Strohmtank. Intriguing as well are the speakers beside the Spirit sporting fostex mids (I always liked those). The Spirits sure look like they should be great, great speakers. Thankfully they will come in colors other than yellow :)

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
fullsizeoutput_c7f.jpg
From Hifi Messen in Horten, Norway. Beautiful in British Racing Green.

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
fullsizeoutput_c87.jpg

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
fullsizeoutput_c8f.jpg

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
It's hard to imagine the G1 getting better, but there is always a little room to improve. I really like the British racing green. I wonder if lessons learned will be applied to the scaled down giya's over time. The G3 and G4 are on my list if I were to move up to a different speaker.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Hmmm.. Upgrade time for me?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Yeh.. that garish yellow is a step too far for me.
What I would love to do is get unpainted shells and go to the local art schools and offer a $1000 prize for the best design on them and then let the artists paint it...
However , realistically speaking , If I sent my G1's for a color change or get a set of of spirits , my custom colour would be metallic copper or rich metallic gold...

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Im about to pull the trigger on G1s's .... big payout on a dread disease policy (quad bypass)
If I could find a good airbrush artist in Durban , where the speakers are made , I would commission them to paint the speakers with an african theme..but I havent found someone yet...
In the interim .. I am stuck on the metallic copper

I think it will blend with my room .. lots of wood , lots of brown
Does anyone else have a better idea as to colour.. delivery is march..mnfgring next year only so I have plenty time
NOT YELLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
Im about to pull the trigger on G1s's .... big payout on a dread disease policy (quad bypass)
If I could find a good airbrush artist in Durban , where the speakers are made , I would commission them to paint the speakers with an african theme..but I havent found someone yet...
In the interim .. I am stuck on the metallic copper

I think it will blend with my room .. lots of wood , lots of brown
Does anyone else have a better idea as to colour.. delivery is march..mnfgring next year only so I have plenty time
NOT YELLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!! What about something like Magicos Bronze finish? Gorgeous with gold shimmer.

304574d1423516429-svigguma-s-hifi-p1010675.jpg

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Yeh.. that garish yellow is a step too far for me.
What I would love to do is get unpainted shells and go to the local art schools and offer a $1000 prize for the best design on them and then let the artists paint it...
However , realistically speaking , If I sent my G1's for a color change or get a set of of spirits , my custom colour would be metallic copper or rich metallic gold...

http://www.vividaudio.com/images/docs/brochure.pdf.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing