Elvis Presley why no love?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I asked this question in the favorite male singer thread and got no response, but also did not want to take the thread off the rails, so I will ask it here.

I don't see much mention of him here and just wondered why. It is not like we don't love the works of other tortured artists in the industry.

Do you not like his voice, it is pretty amazing. He sold millions of albums, sold out most all of his shows, the chicks dug him and he had a pretty amazing stage presence.

I am a fan, but not all inclusive in any way, of have a few of his albums, but nowhere a library's worth.

Just a general inquiry, what say you?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The only thing I can say with regard to Elvis is that his music at the time I was getting into music did not resonate with me. I was very much into the British Invasion, the local Québécois Progressive Rock scene and Motown R&B/Soul. It wasn't until decades later that I took the time to explore some of his work, and I have a few albums as a result. I enjoy them when I occasionally cue them up, but I'm still not a real fan...at least not enough to buy more. I feel the same about Frank Sinatra.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yeah, I'm with Johnny, when I first got into music, I didn't give Elvis much thought... But some of his early stuff is great (and properly recorded too!), and these two recent releases sealed the deal for me:

If I Can Dream
Elvis at Stax

These are really good, and have actually been great sellers here in the store!

cheers,
alex

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I like some stuff, have several albums. I agree At Stax is one of the better ones.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The only thing I can say with regard to Elvis is that his music at the time I was getting into music did not resonate with me. I was very much into the British Invasion, the local Québécois Progressive Rock scene and Motown R&B/Soul. It wasn't until decades later that I took the time to explore some of his work, and I have a few albums as a result. I enjoy them when I occasionally cue them up, but I'm still not a real fan...at least not enough to buy more. I feel the same about Frank Sinatra.

In my younger days I was not a listening fan of Elvis so to speak but a fan of what he created, madd respect. Lord only knows how responsible he is for the population growth of the generation. As I get older I find myself listening more and more.

Now Frank on the other hand, I liked him during my youth and my friends laughed at me for it, but I didn't care, I just listened when they were not around and a have a huge collection to show for it.

Frank to me is the consummate Lounge Singer along with the rest of the Rat Pack, just a little bit better with Dean damn near tied. Frank had a decent acting career also.

But Elvis created such a persona that was amazing. He put out evil Rock & Roll that got religious groups in a roar, but yet sung some of the most amazing Gospel music ever. He made country albums, blues albums and even decent Christmas albums.

He made some silly kitschy movies with pretty girls, fast cars and boats (I loved them, he hated doing them).

He made some early music videos, televised concerts all kinds of activities that kept him relevant till the end.

Elvis and his team were pretty amazing, but ultimately paid the price with his life.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good evening to you Hi-FiGuy. I never really gave him a chance, to be honest. When I was growing up, he wasn't on the radio and he wasn't mainstream music so I really never got into him. As the years went on, the music he offered was, shall I say, "dated" in comparison to my music choices at the time. Nothing against him really, just not my time and not my preference. Maybe it's time for me to break down and get a LP/CD or two and give him a chance. Do you have any suggestions that you would offer to someone who was looking to check his offerings?

Tom

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I was never a fan of Elvis--I didn't like his style of music.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Hello and good evening to you Hi-FiGuy. I never really gave him a chance, to be honest. When I was growing up, he wasn't on the radio and he wasn't mainstream music so I really never got into him. As the years went on, the music he offered was, shall I say, "dated" in comparison to my music choices at the time. Nothing against him really, just not my time and not my preference. Maybe it's time for me to break down and get a LP/CD or two and give him a chance. Do you have any suggestions that you would offer to someone who was looking to check his offerings?

Tom

"Elvis At Stax"

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Elvis was a super star before I was born. By the time I could think the version of Elvis I was exposed to was the white rhinestone studded pantsuit version of him with the pantsuit bursting at the seams. I suppose that image stuck, that and the tragic end. I was more hooked on the Beatles perhaps because they did have kid friendly fare. I did learn to appreciate Elvis much later however expecially within the context of popular music history. When Paul Oakenfold's remix of Rubberneckin' eventually helped The King break the decades long tie and surpass the Beatles for most No.1 hits earlier this century, I cheered.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Elvis died when I was still at school, but I always liked him when my mother used to play him when I was a kid and I watched plenty of those 60's movies of his.

I now have probably 120-130 individual releases of his on vinyl.

There are actually a lot of vinyl available now that sounds great. here is a small list of great sounding vinyl for reasonable prices

On Friday Music - most of these mastered by the one and only Kevin Gray and all analog. some of the later releases from Friday music have not involved Kevin and don't sound as good.

Elvis - self tilted

Elvis Christmas Album - the black vinyl version

Loving You

A Date With Elvis - wipes the floor of the Speakers cnr reissue

From Elvis In Memphis - again kills the Speakers cnr reissue

Blue Hawaii

Moody Blue

other releases that are good

If I Can Dream - with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - beautifully realised by the producers by adding orchestra to songs

I'm Leaving - a whole bunch of almost obscure songs recorded in Nashville in 1971 - released as part of RSD 2015 and now available on wider release

Way Down, In the Jungle room - different alternate takes from the famous Jungle Room sessions - the last before he passed

enjoy

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
There's several issues of A Date With Elvis, before the recent reissue. Care to comment on which? Same goes for From Elvis In Memphis, there's even an old MOFI.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
There's several issues of A Date With Elvis, before the recent reissue. Care to comment on which? Same goes for From Elvis In Memphis, there's even an old MOFI.

Only to reinforce that the Friday Music reissues of both the titles are a lot better sounding than the more expensive Speakers corner reissues from a few years back. Better dynamics and clearer. No mofi experience.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I asked this question in the favorite male singer thread and got no response, but also did not want to take the thread off the rails, so I will ask it here.

I don't see much mention of him here and just wondered why.

Someone had already listed him in that thread before you posted.

I have his version of 'Fever', often covered, but nobody is ever as good as Elvis.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Interestingly enough I was in grade school when Elvis hit. We never connected. I did appreciate the guitar breaks, though. Other artist were more my speed, Del Shannon, Fleetwoods, Rydell, Everlies, Dion....etc.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Only to reinforce that the Friday Music reissues of both the titles are a lot better sounding than the more expensive Speakers corner reissues from a few years back. Better dynamics and clearer. No mofi experience.

It's not often one hears praise for a Friday Music release. Nice to hear as they are usually a lot less expensive than the other audiophile reissue labels.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Musicians have a lot of love for Elvis, ask the Beatles!

And even jazz musicians likes him. Monty Alexanders bassist Paul Berner made a whole concept album dedicated to the faustian story of Elvis and the Colonel;
Paul Berner Band.png http://www.soundliaison.com/

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
He was mostly visual bling,bling. Guys were not attracted to Elvis (well we won't go there ) back in the 60's. I did get talked into playing in a Elvis review band in the early 90's, as that's where my avatar picture came from. People still threw flowers on the stage, sold out the theater's we played in, the most fun I've had playing, and it paid the best too. I just preferred the voices of other singers over his.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I have zero album of Elvis in my collection. I don't know...I guess I wasn't attracted by his music style.
Elvis was more a visual stylish dancer than a musician. And in the films he was in his songs weren't my cup of tea.
As a phenomenon yes, read about Elvis and he's making more money dead than alive. It's a fascinating story, his, and the people around him.
But music wise there is no audiophile stuff with Elvis, mostly tight leather pants, jumpsuits, Las Vegas scene, a showman in search of his own style.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley ? I've read it all.

After a show in La Crosse, Wisconsin, an urgent message on the letterhead of the local Catholic diocese's newspaper was sent to FBI director J. Edgar Hoover. It warned that "Presley is a definite danger to the security of the United States. ... [His] actions and motions were such as to rouse the sexual passions of teenaged youth. ... After the show, more than 1,000 teenagers tried to gang into Presley's room at the auditorium. ... Indications of the harm Presley did just in La Crosse were the two high school girls ... whose abdomen and thigh had Presley's autograph."

Presley's gyrations created a storm of controversy. Newspaper critics were outraged: Jack Gould of The New York Times wrote, "Mr. Presley has no discernible singing ability. ... His phrasing, if it can be called that, consists of the stereotyped variations that go with a beginner's aria in a bathtub. ... His one specialty is an accented movement of the body ... primarily identified with the repertoire of the blond bombshells of the burlesque runway." Ben Gross of the New York Daily News opined that popular music "has reached its lowest depths in the 'grunt and groin' antics of one Elvis Presley. ... Elvis, who rotates his pelvis ... gave an exhibition that was suggestive and vulgar, tinged with the kind of animalism that should be confined to dives and bordellos". Ed Sullivan, whose own variety show was the nation's most popular, declared him "unfit for family viewing". To Presley's displeasure, he soon found himself being referred to as "Elvis the Pelvis", which he called "one of the most childish expressions I ever heard, comin' from an adult."

Allen's show with Presley had, for the first time, beaten CBS's Ed Sullivan Show in the ratings. Sullivan, despite his June pronouncement, booked the singer for three appearances for an unprecedented $50,000. The first, on September 9, 1956, was seen by approximately 60 million viewers—a record 82.6 percent of the television audience. Actor Charles Laughton hosted the show, filling in while Sullivan recuperated from a car accident. Presley appeared in two segments that night from CBS Television City in Los Angeles. According to Elvis legend, Presley was shot from only the waist up. Watching clips of the Allen and Berle shows with his producer, Sullivan had opined that Presley "got some kind of device hanging down below the crotch of his pants–so when he moves his legs back and forth you can see the outline of his cock. ... I think it's a Coke bottle. ... We just can't have this on a Sunday night. This is a family show!" Sullivan publicly told TV Guide, "As for his gyrations, the whole thing can be controlled with camera shots." In fact, Presley was shown head-to-toe in the first and second shows. Though the camerawork was relatively discreet during his debut, with leg-concealing closeups when he danced, the studio audience reacted in customary style: screaming. Presley's performance of his forthcoming single, the ballad "Love Me Tender", prompted a record-shattering million advance orders. More than any other single event, it was this first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show that made Presley a national celebrity of barely precedented proportions.

Frank Sinatra, who had famously inspired the swooning of teenaged girls in the 1940s, condemned the new musical phenomenon. In a magazine article, he decried rock and roll as "brutal, ugly, degenerate, vicious. ... It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people. It smells phoney and false. It is sung, played and written, for the most part, by cretinous goons. ... This rancid-smelling aphrodisiac I deplore." Asked for a response, Presley said, "I admire the man. He has a right to say what he wants to say. He is a great success and a fine actor, but I think he shouldn't have said it. ... This is a trend, just the same as he faced when he started years ago."

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/10/07/elvis-presley-suspicious-minds-royal-philharmonic/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...g-Las-Vegas-60-years-Elvis-graced-stages.html
https://www.youtube.com/user/elvis
_______

Nope, Elvis's music never turned me on. I was more into Charles Aznavour, Jacques Brel, ... the French singers/poets/true artists during Elvis's reign.
And I personally met those international artists too, while working @ a concert hall. Their music and lyrics were much more elegant and speaking emotionally to my soul.
Elvis to me has none, zero of that. That's my opinion, and I have no nothing against Elvis. He was his own star and had his own screaming fan club...the young teenager girls.

So no, no Elvis music playing @ home...then and now. It's just the way it is; we vibrate to our own musical chords.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing