Audiophile pricing

caesar

May 30, 2010
Good to see that the better side of human nature has prevailed and this has not exploded into negativity. :)

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
I don't see why it would. We are simply answering questions with honest, straightforward information. Anyone who knows Caelin or I, knows we don't do things any other way. Forums should be about sharing information or opinion in a cordial, friendly way. However, occasionally agendas come out to play and that is a little more difficult to address. I appreciate everyone interacting honestly here, with no judgement or acid laced dialogue.

Best regards,

Grant

Last edited:

gherop

Aug 25, 2016
You will notice that Steve confirmed that the ALPHA was near the performance of the SIGMA however he did say that if you are using very high power amplifiers that the difference between the two levels of cables was more apparent.

Please approximately name the limit above which an amp is considered as a "very high power amplifier" in Watts/220-230 V ?

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Please approximately name the limit above which an amp is considered as a "very high power amplifier" in Watts/220-230 V ?

I was paraphrasing what Steve said in the review. Instead of copying his comments which is a copyright issue just read it yourself. Scroll down to the section about power amplifiers if you don't want to read the review.

The amps he used are Ayre 300 watt which I would consider a high power amplifier.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/shunyata-research-denali-series#Exuc5w1J6QJ6Pwe1.97

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I see a red flag immediately with this review...the Ayres already have power conditioning built in so not really accurate report on what the Denali stuff is doing on amplifiers...........

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I see a red flag immediately with this review...the Ayres already have power conditioning built in so not really accurate report on what the Denali stuff is doing on amplifiers...........

Most components, not just amplifiers, have AC inlet filters. I believe Steve's comparison is quite valid. He compared the performance of the amp without the Denali, straight into the wall socket and then with the amp plugged into the Denali. That seems pretty simple to understand. Further he highlighted the improved dynamics and spacial aspects of the sound which would be more related to the Denali's DTCD (dynamic transient current delivery) rather than noise reduction specifically.

Mercman

Oct 5, 2016

The Ayre "power condtioner" in the MX-R Twenty amp is quite minimal compared to a Denali.

From The MX-R Twenty manual:

"The MX-R may be plugged directly into an unswitched wall
outlet. Although proprietary RFI (radio-frequency interference)
filtering is built into the amplifier, in some situations a
high-current power-line filter (such as those offered by Ayre)
may provide additional sonic benefits."

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
i just want to say I am impressed with the civility of the discussion and Caelin's openness on pricing. It's very refreshing to see.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
^+1
Having owned and tried in a few systems a range of Shunyata conditioners and plenty of the pcs and their signal cables I'd have to say performance and value have invariably been core Shunyata strengths. Great product, great value and they invest in time with their clients and are reliably engaged in a state of continuos improvement in technology. Great company.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing