What's the most you ever pay for tubes? Worth it?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I paid under $300 for telefunken smoothies and over $250 for amperex tubes, both NOS. Much better tonality, presence, nuance, and dynamics than the newer tubes made by the ex-commie countries.

But I chickened out of paying $500 and $1000 for a pair of "medical grade" of the above (from legit sources). And I wonder if I'm wrong, and those more expensive tubes add even more musical magic.

What are your experiences?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
That seems to be the rumor, that somehow price correlates with sound quality rather than merely status or rarity, but I don't believe it anymore.

The actual sound quality is going to be random and device dependent, both for inexpensive as well as rare, expensive tubes.

To belong to certain audiophile country clubs, though, you better have certain brand name trigger tubes or you will be deemed a duffer.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
We showed at RMAF once with RCA globe 50 tubes from 1929 that cost $750. I don't know if that was each, or a pair. I didn't buy them, but my friend who made the electronics in the room did.
Were they worth it? To my ears, it was the some of the best tube sound I have ever heard.
Would I ever pay that much? I probably would, but I would suffer from a bit of anxiety every time I turned the amps on.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Have you ever searched for a matched set of NOS Telefunken ECC 803S. You'll be lucky if you do and if you do (and they aren't knock offs) be prepared to pay several $1000 (or more)

The copper plate GM-70 in my amps are north of $900 per tube

I agree Win, I say a little prayer every time I power mine on or off :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Have you ever searched for a matched set of NOS Telefunken ECC 803S. You'll be lucky if you do and if you do (and they aren't knock offs) be prepared to pay several $1000 (or more)

A few days ago I was looking for some Telefunken tubes at eBay. After I found this auction I gave-up ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-pcs-TELEFUNKEN-Tube-Boxes-for-Audio-tubes-ECC81-ECC88-E88CC-E188CC-ECC803S-/252340477546?hash=item3ac0aa1e6a:g:DXkAAOSw6wRW~tfo

Yes, they fit the ECC803S! :D

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 477

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I should say that usually I avoid equipment that can use ultra expensive NOS tubes - I am not wanting to enter this game.

It is not mainly the question of price, but the availability in Europe and trusting. Most of the time you have to know a lot to properly analyze the authenticity of a tube. Even Telefunken's with the correct diamond mark can be fakes.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It is not mainly the question of price, but the availability in Europe and trusting. Most of the time you have to know a lot to properly analyze the authenticity of a tube. Even Telefunken's with the correct diamond mark can be fakes.

I agree

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

Steve I had some genuine Tele ECC803S when the going rate was around £450. I sold them at £550, because I also bought some Tesla ECC803S gold pins (not JJ Tesla) with yellow print marked "32" (factory code).

I had them in an Air Tight ATM2. They are as good as the Teles. Really well made, lovely to look at, made using Tele equipment.

Buy some, compare and when you find I am right and sell the Teles, LOL. Really. Apart from the prestige, they aren't worth the money. It'd be better in your bank account.:)

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Approximately $30 for each Electro-Harmonix KT-88 at Tubedepot, they sound great in my SET.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Steve I had some genuine Tele ECC803S when the going rate was around £450. I sold them at £550, because I also bought some Tesla ECC803S gold pins (not JJ Tesla) with yellow print marked "32" (factory code).

I had them in an Air Tight ATM2. They are as good as the Teles. Really well made, lovely to look at, made using Tele equipment.

Buy some, compare and when you find I am right and sell the Teles, LOL. Really. Apart from the prestige, they aren't worth the money. It'd be better in your bank account.:)

Curious, all my NOS Tesla ECC88's - as I have had a conrad johnson ART preamplfiier (10 x ECC88/6922) I had to stock them - have an yellow "32" factory printed code. I wonder what would it mean ...

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Curious, all my NOS Tesla ECC88's - as I have had a conrad johnson ART preamplfiier (10 x ECC88/6922) I had to stock them - have an yellow "32" factory printed code. I wonder what would it mean ...

Rosnov factory. I am currently running a quad of cross-sword logo "32" yellow print E88CCs in my pre. The cross-sword logo are apparently the best. They are better than the NOS Siemens I put them up against. But not by much. Internal construction is almost identical. Something going on there...

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Just read in my email a couple of minutes ago that tubedepot is having a Tube flash sale on NOS but for 24h only: a good way to refill stock.

I know I'd get myself some Telefunken if I had the budget.

Judging by the email, it appears it's about half price slashed off.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing