Philips miniwatt tubes Ecc83 /E88CC sound / noise ??

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think i am gonna replace my CAT preamp tubes for some (tested /checked )" new "philips NOS miniwatt tubes , , seem to be more well constructed troublefree /noisefree then modern constructions.
anybody uses/used them ???

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I bought 2 sets of tubes one for the linestage and one for the phono section which are identical in the preamp .

All philips NOS tubes a set of miniwatts and a e88cc set of JAN tubes which are military spec tubes , supposedly sound a little less but have better specs ,lower noise floor ?

sounds great noisefloor dropped a little , but the CAT ultimate mk 2 sounds great with JJ s cheaper tubes as well , i ll try the JAN tubes another time.

Besides my latest speaker project still the best piece of audiogear i ever bought even after 6 years :D

It seems the JAN 6922 Philips ECG tubes are made in USA as it states on the Tube

All tubes were tested they told me sounds fantastic so far .

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Look for the Philips ECC83 with the DELTA codes...from about 1962 to 1968. That is the "right" factory!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I bought 2 sets of tubes one for the linestage and one for the phono section which are identical in the preamp .

All philips NOS tubes a set of miniwatts and a e88cc set of JAN tubes which are military spec tubes , supposedly sound a little less but have better specs ,lower noise floor ?

sounds great noisefloor dropped a little , but the CAT ultimate mk 2 sounds great with JJ s cheaper tubes as well , i ll try the JAN tubes another time.

Besides my latest speaker project still the best piece of audiogear i ever bought even after 6 years :D

It seems the JAN 6922 Philips ECG tubes are made in USA as it states on the Tube

All tubes were tested they told me sounds fantastic so far .

Interesting as ever Andromedaaudio. The Zanden DAC used to come standard with the JAN Phillips 6922...and it sounds GREAT...for 19 bucks or less, it is hard to beat. But for some reason, it is a microphonic tube, and after going to a few dealers who all said the same, i switched...but it took me all the way up to an Amperex 7308 to match (and frankly surpass) the mellifluous JAN Phillips 6922...and not be microphonic...though just to make sure, we also use an EAT tube damper which took it to yet another level.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
What is in your view the right factory , the philips plant in eindhoven ??

I believe the delta logo relates to Heerlen. Not to worry though as all the dutch production Philips / Ameperex tubes I have ever heard sounded lovely.

Btw nice bike in your avatar, I have the same one in black ;-)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I believe the delta logo relates to Heerlen. Not to worry though as all the dutch production Philips / Ameperex tubes I have ever heard sounded lovely.

Btw nice bike in your avatar, I have the same one in black ;-)
Yes, that is the one. I tried to answer before, but it did not get thru. The Heerlen delta codes are prized for a reason.
http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo ECC83/ECC83.htm

Also, POPE Holland tubes and the bugleboys.

The Popes and the Deltas go for better prices (ie., cheaper) than the Bugles...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Update on the sound , 1 channnel started to introduce some noise couple of days ago .
Swapped the 6922 s for JAN tubes , cleared everything up a bit , less tubey sound which i like a tad more so far and no more noise , seems the soundstage cleaned up and got better defined and deeper actually
Start to question the state of those Philips nos tubes actually , gonna have them tested again ,some of the packages looked old and used
The NOS JAN philps however cheaper had relatively new packages , later manufacter date may be,

Still this pre amp is awesome :D

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Update on the sound , 1 channnel started to introduce some noise couple of days ago .
Swapped the 6922 s for JAN tubes , cleared everything up a bit , less tubey sound which i like a tad more so far and no more noise , seems the soundstage cleaned up and got better defined and deeper actually
Start to question the state of those Philips nos tubes actually , gonna have them tested again ,some of the packages looked old and used
The NOS JAN philps however cheaper had relatively new packages , later manufacter date may be,

Still this pre amp is awesome :D

I have enjoyed JAN Phillips for a number of years...quite inexpensive and mellifluous sound. I found them to be microphonic after several different ones went into the Zanden (who originally used them as stock)...and eventually I switched to Amperex 7308...which Zanden also like quite a bit as well. Much more expensive, but not microphonic in the Zanden and perhaps even a bit more mellifluous, extended and detailed.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What you mean by microphonic ?
You hear a tube ring during play ?
Havent tried those dampers yet you suggested , iirc the JAN tubes are military spec tubes which have better tolerance

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Havent tried those dampers yet you suggested , iirc the JAN tubes are military spec tubes which have better tolerance

Yes, when we played the JAN Philipps in the Zanden, you could hear ringing during play...when it got REALLY bad, if i clapped my hands near the Zanden you could hear it coming thru the speakers! Eventually, I got EAT Tube dampers and those REALLY helped...but when we also got the Amperex 7308, we never went back to the JAN Phillips.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes but used in a cd player it might be different , different place in the circuit

Perhaps...i just remember speaking with the tube dealer (and with Zanden), and both felt the JAN Phillips sounded great but was a bit noisy and very microphonic. YMMV as the saying goes!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Just ordered a Seimens NOS 7308 (European made) from Brent Jesse for my CJ ET5.

He indicated it should have more air on top, more lively, and better (tighter) mid bass / bass response than my current EAT 6922.

And no problem with the CJ tube gain / early tube failure issue.

Will provide feed back once I install and burn in if you all are interested.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just ordered a Seimens NOS 7308 (European made) from Brent Jesse for my CJ ET5.

He indicated it should have more air on top, more lively, and better (tighter) mid bass / bass response than my current EAT 6922.

And no problem with the CJ tube gain / early tube failure issue.

Will provide feed back once I install and burn in if you all are interested.

Brent is great. Look forward to hearing!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

J.A.N: means joint army/navy. They were tubes order by the military to more tight specifications, usually ruggedized and expected to last longer in their use. The main problem is that besides the type and manufacturer JAN tubes have extra codes that the average user does not know how to decipher. Metronome Technologie uses Philips Jan 6922 and comes with these tubes with green lettering. I have bought a lot of Philips Jan 6922 that sound quite different, and even have some small differences in the electrodes and did not sound good on cj electronics in my system.

IMHO, when buying JAN tubes you have to rely on a knowledgeable, experienced and serious dealer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing