Philips miniwatt tubes Ecc83 /E88CC sound / noise ??

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I got my Pre dead quit now , did a mix and match of JAN and other philips NOS tubes , soundquality is exxcelent whether it became better or not is always difficult to say , certainly i like quitness
That is probably the reason also i might swap the CAT jl 2 sign for a HALCRO in the future , but not sure yet , sound of the CAT is topnotch and the soundbubble is larger then with SS
Thing i dont like however about tube power amps is that they raise the noisefloor

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I got my Pre dead quit now , did a mix and match of JAN and other philips NOS tubes , soundquality is exxcelent whether it became better or not is always difficult to say , certainly i like quitness
That is probably the reason also i might swap the CAT jl 2 sign for a HALCRO in the future , but not sure yet , sound of the CAT is topnotch and the soundbubble is larger then with SS
Thing i dont like however about tube power amps is that they raise the noisefloor

Some tube power amplfiers are not noisy at all - surely if you pick good tubes.

The XXX signal/noise ratio, ref. 2.83V into 8 ohms (1W), 82.8dB, wideband unweighted, 96.8dB when A-weighted.
The YYY unweighted, wideband signal/noise ratios, ref. 2.83V into 8 ohms 82.1dB right. A-weighted, 99.2dB

Which is an Halcro and which is an Audio Research?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What about transformer HUM ?
Never owned a ARC power amp i did own a pre

Which ARC would that be??

Practically speaking i ve owned GRaaf GM 200 , most noisy of them all

Second CAT

less noisiest was the zanden it also was the less powerfull one 8 watts , seems to me with the increase in poweroutput and larger transformers the noise floor adds up .

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
dm88's noise floor was very low. Referenced to a level of 2.83V into 8 ohms (equivalent to 1W), the A-weighted signal/noise ratio with the input short-circuited was an extraordinary 105.6dB. Even the wideband, unweighted measurement was 84.7dB! This is an amplifier that can take full advantage of the high resolution promised by SACD and DVD-Audio.
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/...er-amplifier-measurements#qabRhpWC7CD9SULF.99

ARC 75 watts

Channel separation (not shown) was superb, at >100dB R–L and >110dB L–R below 3kHz, and still around 90dB at the top of the audioband. Noise levels were also low, the unweighted wideband signal/noise ratio from the 4 ohm tap (ref. 2.83V into 8 ohms, assessed with the input shorted) measuring 86dB in the left channel, 85.3dB in the right. With an A-weighting filter in-circuit, these ratios improved to 100.6dB left and 102.4dB right. The ratios from the 8 ohm tap were all a little lower, particularly in the left channel, but this is still a quiet amplifier.
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/...er-amplifier-measurements#CS0MrUK2LQesZ2aO.99

Seems pretty quit from specs , but what does the transformer add standing next to it???

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What about transformer HUM ?
Never owned a ARC power amp i did own a pre

Which ARC would that be??

Practically speaking i ve owned GRaaf GM 200 , most noisy of them all

Second CAT

less noisiest was the zanden it also was the less powerfull one 8 watts , seems to me with the increase in poweroutput and larger transformers the noise floor adds up

I am referring my to preferred Audio Research REF150, balanced input - by chance it is now playing great in my listening room.

You were unlucky - the Graaf GM200 was one of the noisiest existing amplifiers - SNR 58db , 70dB weighted. I have listened to it a few times, curiously it sounded fabulous when it was not exploding - at that time signal to noise ratio was fabulous if you consider the explosion noise as signal!

BTW, the SS amplifier was the DM58.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Transformer , do you hear the noisefloor being raised if switched on ??

How much lower is a balanced connection in general for tube power amps ??

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
By the way i d love to try some ARC power amps on my speakers , they are great sounding off course / quit spacey extended soundstage as i can remember from last time , a bit tubey may be
LAMM i d like to hear but not a lot of representation around here probably to much $$$

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing