Arc and Power Cables

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'm using the stock power cable with my ARC. It works better than any after market unit...

Because it is hard wired in and there is no issue with any iec connector. Oh, forgot to say...it is a classic D series amp. I suspect that WZJ knew what he was doing when it came to the idea of iec's and replaceable power cables.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I'm using the stock power cable with my ARC. It works better than any after market unit...

Because it is hard wired in and there is no issue with any iec connector. Oh, forgot to say...it is a classic D series amp. I suspect that WZJ knew what he was doing when it came to the idea of iec's and replaceable power cables.

Perhaps, but I would expect a high quality aftermarket cable would benefit even those older designs—if it were possible. So with your old amp you will never know.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Perhaps, but I would expect a high quality aftermarket cable would benefit even those older designs—if it were possible. So with your old amp you will never know.

I would also expect some improvement with these old tube designs - the rectifier diodes used in these old days were much noisier than current ones.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have heard a modded D model with an iec connector. I actually preferred the hard wired version. The addition of an iec can in many instances negate the improvement of an aftermarket power cord. Not a popular thought amongst cable manufacturer's, but that's just too bad.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
During the early days of high end audio, I don't recall after market power cords. In those days, there was Auntie Enid who told us to replace the stock power cords with speaker cables.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have not tried this brand yet unfortunately.

Hi Lee ,

Thanks for the advice I was checking out preowned SR power cables or Cerius Technology cables , have you audition thess cable from Cerius ? Reasonably priced w/ Graphene same as what SR is using w/ their new cables

tdh888

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Been there. On my VT-100, my tech put in a nice IEC and I added a Shunyata then an SR. Both made a nice improvement.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I have used a masterbuilt ultra power cord on my ARC CD7 for a few months already. They work wonderfully together.

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
I'm using Furutech FP-S55N with Furutech NCF connectors on my REF 250. It replaced Shunyata Alpha HC and at one point, had a full loom of Shunyata of Sigma and Alpha but didn't like the HOUSE sound.

All my high price Shunyata, High Fidelity, HiDiamond ... PCs are replaced with bulk cables + NCF connectors except for 2 Core Power Technology Equi=Core 300 and better sound.

Hello knghifi

Interesting comments and I’m surprised nobody asked more questions when you posted. Would you elaborate ,please, on what you didn’t like about the Shunyata “sound” after investing so much in them? Also what HiDiamond cable model did you have and how did you find this?

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
One option is try the Venom high current cords from Shunyata. Tremendous value.

Hi Lee ,

A friend of mine whose selling a pair of Shunyata King Cobra CX series of power cables ask me to try it in my system . I installed the pair on my REF 5SE and my PHONO 2SE . Compared to the stock power cord supplied by ARC, the difference was night & day .Increase in low level detail w/o being analytic . Much deeper and tighter bass. A more wider / bigger / open soundstage . Mids became musical w/ a more palpable image . These Shunyata’s are good .

tdh888

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I have a new to me SP9 MKii that is hard wired. Has anyone taken the plunge and put an IEC connector on any of the older SP's?

Thanks.

JD

It can be done, I have seen them before and my old dealer offered to do it for me but I sold the ARC preamp before modding. Either find a reputable technician that has done one before, or if you are comfortable enough do it yourself? The scary part is the cutting/routing out of the chassis to accept the IEC plug.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing