Arc and Power Cables

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Anyone have a lot of success with power cables on their ARC gear. Currently I have a Cardas Golden power cable on my Ref 75 SE. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Anyone have a lot of success with power cables on their ARC gear. Currently I have a Cardas Golden power cable on my Ref 75 SE. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I used to have Cardas Golden Ref on my ARC REF75, but when switched to Shunyata there was an immediate and noticable improvement in dynamics and reduction in noise. When I moved to Ztron Sigma Analog there was even more improvement. I found the Cardas, by comparison, slow and muddy.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Shunyata on my 610T's and 40th Anniversary. I have been using them for 10+ years on my ARC equipment.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Thanks for the replies. Seems Shunyata is a preferred cable for ARC gear? My ARC Preamp is connected with a PS Audio power cable, but I am not sure that it (AC5) is a good cable.

number95

May 14, 2014
Thanks for the replies. Seems Shunyata is a preferred cable for ARC gear? My ARC Preamp is connected with a PS Audio power cable, but I am not sure that it (AC5) is a good cable.

Shunyata is damn good with ARC gear. I have used various Shunyata power cords with my previous ARC including Ref3, Ph5, Ph7, Ref 2SE, Ref 610Ts. My current system has Ref 10 pre and Ref 10 phono, they have Stage III Kraken cords, I am very pleased with results.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I used to have Cardas Golden Ref on my ARC REF75, but when switched to Shunyata there was an immediate and noticable improvement in dynamics and reduction in noise. When I moved to Ztron Sigma Analog there was even more improvement. I found the Cardas, by comparison, slow and muddy.

I had the same experience on both my Ref 5SE and modded VT-100.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Thanks for the info. Thinking about trying Shunyata power cables based on the feed back here. I don't have a local dealer here so I'd have to purchase something on line to try it out.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Shunyata is damn good with ARC gear. I have used various Shunyata power cords with my previous ARC including Ref3, Ph5, Ph7, Ref 2SE, Ref 610Ts. My current system has Ref 10 pre and Ref 10 phono, they have Stage III Kraken cords, I am very pleased with results.

I forgot to mention that a Shunyata cord worked very well on my Ref 3.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
A quick update. I borrowed two cables from a dealer. On the one it says Helix CX Black Mamba. The other one says ETRON Viper. Here are my initial thoughts with regards to these power cords, keeping in mind I probably don't have the ideal cable set up now. Meaning perhaps other cables could be influencing what I hear. When I inserted the Black Mambas into the system, (Audience conditioner to preamp), I was immediately shocked (no pun), as to the improvement in every regard that was achieved. Very happy. Later I swapped out the B.M. for the Viper. The presentation was different, but not quite as authoritative, and smooth. The mid bass was boomy. It seemed a little bright for my taste. I removed it after only about a half hour, and returned the BM. I again was rewarded with a nicer sound. I then moved the Viper to my BDP-1 media player, and I was surprised to hear that same brightness come through. I don't really understand this, but can't deny my ears. I couldn't try the BM or V on my ARC amp because it requires a 20 amp cable. Both these cables were demos removed from the floor, but I can't verify how much time is on either one and I didn't ask. Bottom line: the sound benefit achieved with the Shunyata BM is an amazing improvement over the cable it replaced (PS Audio AC5). I think I'll keep it. Anyone have any similar experiences? I'm just curious as to what will happen when I go up the Shunyata line, given my initial experience with the ETRON technology.

gwaaron

Apr 29, 2014
Ravenel, SC
FWIW, I use cables from Sain Line Systems. Chris is great to deal with, and if I recall his cables were used by ARC in voicing the REF75 and 150, as well as with REF 5SE preamp. Once they were burned in they compared very favorably with some Shunyata Alpha cables I also had on hand at the time. I bought the Pure series. He also has a referents series.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines

Am currently auditioning Synergistic Research Tesla Precision power cables w/ my REF 610T and they're way much better than the stock power cord that came w/ the amp . It looks fancy but they gave an improvement in the overall sound of the system .

tdh888

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I'm using Furutech FP-S55N with Furutech NCF connectors on my REF 250. It replaced Shunyata Alpha HC and at one point, had a full loom of Shunyata of Sigma and Alpha but didn't like the HOUSE sound.

All my high price Shunyata, High Fidelity, HiDiamond ... PCs are replaced with bulk cables + NCF connectors except for 2 Core Power Technology Equi=Core 300 and better sound.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I have used Sain and Nordost. IMHO there is nothing like using an Odin to any ARC amp. Sain's are an excellent alternative but I was floored when Carl from NOLA lent me his Odin V1 for a test with my then REF75. I'm now using the GS150 and would love to try the new ODIN V2 or for that matter the Valhalla V2. All my other cabling are Valhalla V2. Just my opinion but bang for the $ is on the amp.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Quick update. I now have the 20 amp Alpha HC power cable connected to my Ref75 SE, and an Alpha analogue connected to my LS27 pre. The Black Mamba is now powering the media player, and the JPS Labs Digital power cable is on the DAC. This seems to be a very pleasing upgrade for my system, but when I added the Furutech receptacles, I was shocked to find even more improvement. Thank you to everyone that added their opinions and experiences. This is what helped me find the Shunyata brand, and, what I believe to be a great synergy. I am now debating whether an upgrade to the Ref5 SE preamp is my next upgrade. This may be hard on the wallet, but might be worth it in the continuing quest for audio excellence. Any thoughts on this upgrade would be greatly appreciated.

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
A good friend changed out my chassis iec to the Furutech ncf 09 ( 15 amp) on my Anni 40. I am VERY happy with the Triode Wire Labs Obsession power cord feeding it. The new Obsession has the Furutech 50 NCF ends and I have all Furutech NCF wall receptacles. I'm guessing that NCF Rhodium connecting to NCF Rhodium connections adds a little to the cohesiveness of the sound.

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
I have read somewhere that arc uses shunyata power cords to voice their products and that explains the synergy between shunyata and arc.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Am currently auditioning Synergistic Research Tesla Precision power cables w/ my REF 610T and they're way much better than the stock power cord that came w/ the amp . It looks fancy but they gave an improvement in the overall sound of the system .

tdh888

Same here with the SR Level 4 UEF and Galileo cables on the Ref 5SE and Ref Phono 2.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Same here with the SR Level 4 UEF and Galileo cables on the Ref 5SE and Ref Phono 2.

I wish I could try Synergistic Research power cables on both my 5SE and Phono 2SE. Currently the SR Powercables are hooked to my REF610T monoblocks . Unfortunately my funds are currently being utilized for my my vintage sports cars. So stock power cables are being used for my linestage & phonostage.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I wish I could try Synergistic Research power cables on both my 5SE and Phono 2SE. Currently the SR Powercables are hooked to my REF610T monoblocks . Unfortunately my funds are currently being utilized for my my vintage sports cars. So stock power cables are being used for my linestage & phonostage.

One option is try the Venom high current cords from Shunyata. Tremendous value.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
One option is try the Venom high current cords from Shunyata. Tremendous value.

Hi Lee ,

Thanks for the advice I was checking out preowned SR power cables or Cerius Technology cables , have you audition thess cable from Cerius ? Reasonably priced w/ Graphene same as what SR is using w/ their new cables

tdh888

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing