I am now a happy K-01X owner!

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Received the unit today. The digital filters set along with upsampling and presently running the XLO burn in disc right now. First listening session later tonight! ;)

Attachments

• My K-01X.jpg
    My K-01X.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 704

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Thank you Dan, much appreciated.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Congratulations! Those VRDS transports are legendary; be sure to keep the marked metal rails lubricated with machine oil, once a year - that's where the laser head assembly rides.

vrds.jpg

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Thanks Ack, I had not read that before from other owners, I will look into it. The soundstage on this player is so wide and deep. My Oppo BDP-105 is more forward in soundstage presentation and lacks the midrange warmth the K-01X has! I had also read from others owners about how much inner detail it retrieves off of discs. That is definitely true as I noticed it on the first CD I played. that I know there is a lot more potential since it is brand new along with the power cord.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
esoteric players need at least 200 hours break-in. need many hours on each filter setting as well.
enjoy!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
esoteric players need at least 200 hours break-in. need many hours on each filter setting as well.
enjoy!

Definitely agree with this; based upon my experience with DV-50S, UX-1, UX-1 Limited, P-03U/D-03 and P-02/D-02, it's closer to 300-350 hours burning
in CD playback, SACD playback and each filter. It's a whopping task with something like the 02s or the K-01X but you will be rewarded, trust me!

A number of us who have owned the 02 separates as others I know who own the K-01 tend to prefer ES-LINK3 (dual-AES) at 176.4 up-sampling, filter on transport
set to on, Digital Filter Off and use of S_DLY2 filter.

CONGRATULATIONS Sharp1080 !!!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Congrats, I'd love to move up to the K-01x from my K-03. I'm curious to hear how a music server sounds when clocked by the Esoteric.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I plan on using a filter a week to listen for the differences. Still getting comfortable with the unit. Only 72 hours old. :D

Attachments

• K-01X with HRS damping plate.jpg
    K-01X with HRS damping plate.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 594

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
How do you like the HRS dampening plate(s)???

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
How do you like the HRS dampening plate(s)???

It has lowered the noise floor. Better focus with individual instruments. The only issue is two are needed for the K-01X. The top cover is plastic, and rings when tapped! I had used my other plate to confirm my findings. I have ordered another from Legend Audio.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
It has lowered the noise floor. Better focus with individual instruments. The only issue is two are needed for the K-01X. The top cover is plastic, and rings when tapped! I had used my other plate to confirm my findings. I have ordered another from Legend Audio.

Thanks for replying back...I was not aware the K-01X had a plastic top cover! I am hoping they did not go the same route with other X versions I would like to move to (P-02X, D-02X and C-02X)!

Last edited:

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Hey Zephyr, I should be more specific. I was incorrect about the cover being plastic. It's metal after all. It is a cover plate that is attached securely. I noticed the change in dampening of that cover when tapping the cover with the plate on and off the top of the unit. I am certainly not the only owner using them. Have you seen this photo before? It is another K-01X owner using the damping plate.

Attachments

• June 2015 135.jpg
    June 2015 135.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 436

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

I too use the HRX DPX with good results . If only one , try it diagonally across . It will dampen a larger surface area then that when horizontally across .

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Hey Zephyr, I should be more specific. I was incorrect about the cover being plastic. It's metal after all. It is a cover plate that is attached securely. I noticed the change in dampening of that cover when tapping the cover with the plate on and off the top of the unit. I am certainly not the only owner using them. Have you seen this photo before? It is another K-01X owner using the damping plate.

I had not seen that photo,...thank you for sending! What a relief that the cover plates are still the Esoteric-machined aluminum! I could not fathom them making such a change,....<sigh of relief>!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
I too use the HRX DPX with good results . If only one , try it diagonally across . It will dampen a larger surface area then that when horizontally across .

That's a cool idea....thank you! I'll have to give that a shot!

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Both plates on K-01X.

Attachments

• OW2R1804.JPG
    OW2R1804.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 395

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
How is the K01x settling into your system? It's a fantastic disc spinner.

Hi Dan, It is settling in just fine. I was in an SACD mood today. Then K-01X has around 200 hours on it now. If the recording was mastered correctly it is amazing the amount of detail along with analog type warmth and feeling being reproduced.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Hi Dan, It is settling in just fine. I was in an SACD mood today. Then K-01X has around 200 hours on it now. If the recording was mastered correctly it is amazing the amount of detail along with analog type warmth and feeling being reproduced.

200 is a good plateau, 325-350 is the next one. Prepare yourself for even better separation of notes, better transients, better imaging, etc.....you will like it very much I believe!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing