I am now a happy K-01X owner!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Congratulations! Those VRDS transports are legendary

Yep, highly regarded - heard a VRDS or VRDS Neo through a Conrad-Johnson Pre + Amp and Totem One Signature - was amazing.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
200 is a good plateau, 325-350 is the next one. Prepare yourself for even better separation of notes, better transients, better imaging, etc.....you will like it very much I believe!

Thanks Zephyr24069, that is good to know. I was wondering when the magical number would be obtained.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Thanks Zephyr24069, that is good to know. I was wondering when the magical number would be obtained.

Hello! I don't know if that's the official magic number per se but it is the timeframe where's I've heard these units come out and open up substantially.

BTW....I have HRS Damping Plates on my whole setup now. Definitely love what they do for the system!!!

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Hello! I don't know if that's the official magic number per se but it is the timeframe where's I've heard these units come out and open up substantially.

BTW....I have HRS Damping Plates on my whole setup now. Definitely love what they do for the system!!!

Congratulations SCAudiophile! They are indeed a nice addition to one's system.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Sharp, congrats!

When you save a few sheckels (but not before!), make sure you hear the k-01x with the esoteric clock.

It's quite transformational and gets you very close to the mighty grandioso for a few grand.

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
Very tempted by the Esoteric K-01, but....

Initially I intended to buy a NAGRA HD DAC + a lesser advanced CD-player since 80% of my listening will be High-Res music files, 19% Red-Book CDs ans 1%..SACDs, but... reading from the various reports from K-01x users, it seems that I could instead go for this 1 box Esoteric solution (CD + DAC).

This makes sense for me ONLY IF:

- The K-01x when used as a USB DAC is at the level of those high End external DACs,
AND has a musicality/emotion close to the NAGRA HD DAC (and far from analytic like the dCS that I did not liked because I use a BHSE tube AMP and a STAX SR009 electrostatic headphone, a very precise and analytic set-up which do not tolerate a dry & non-musical source. This is why I liked a lot the NAGRA HD DAC (hybride tube DAC) which bring a lot of emotion and engagement into my music, while TotalDAC, DAVE and dCS Rossini only bring details but NO emotion ;)).

- The K-01x is also stellar with RedBooks CD, and not only with SACD (I almost have NO SACD, only CD).

So... is the K-01x (with a G2 clock may be) for me ?

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have demoed the Lampi big 7 against 2 K01s, one with the clock, and it beat them easily. The owners preferred it as well. I have compared my GG to the K01x and the K01 with the clock. The clock guy is planning to move to the Lampi when funds become available - though his planned kid is making him sweat about valves.

I would rather do a shootout of Lampi with Nagra (planned in Jan) and Tdac 12 rather than Esoteric or dCS. Or, if you have that money, Aries Cerat.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Very tempted by the Esoteric K-01, but....

Initially I intended to buy a NAGRA HD DAC + a lesser advanced CD-player since 80% of my listening will be High-Res music files, 19% Red-Book CDs ans 1%..SACDs, but... reading from the various reports from K-01x users, it seems that I could instead go for this 1 box Esoteric solution (CD + DAC).

This makes sense for me ONLY IF:

- The K-01x when used as a USB DAC is at the level of those high End external DACs,
AND has a musicality/emotion close to the NAGRA HD DAC (and far from analytic like the dCS that I did not liked because I use a BHSE tube AMP and a STAX SR009 electrostatic headphone, a very precise and analytic set-up which do not tolerate a dry & non-musical source. This is why I liked a lot the NAGRA HD DAC (hybride tube DAC) which bring a lot of emotion and engagement into my music, while TotalDAC, DAVE and dCS Rossini only bring details but NO emotion ;)).

- The K-01x is also stellar with RedBooks CD, and not only with SACD (I almost have NO SACD, only CD).

So... is the K-01x (with a G2 clock may be) for me ?

I've heard Esoterics (I own a K-03), DCS and TotalDAC on completely different systems and they all sounded quite detailed and neutral. They also have somewhat of their own house sound. If you're looking for that tubey quality which some describe as emotion, warmth or analog - like, I get the attraction to a Lampi or Nagra, but to me it's not natural or neutral - it's flavored.

I'd rather have the most neutral DAC and tune to my subjective taste via a pre amp and/or amp rather than muck with the source component. But that's just me :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've heard Esoterics (I own a K-03), DCS and TotalDAC on completely different systems and they all sounded quite detailed and neutral. They also have somewhat of their own house sound. If you're looking for that tubey quality which some describe as emotion, warmth or analog - like, I get the attraction to a Lampi or Nagra, but to me it's not natural or neutral - it's flavored.

I'd rather have the most neutral DAC and tune to my subjective taste via a pre amp and/or amp rather than muck with the source component. But that's just me :)

Which big 7 or GG (what tube configuration) did you compare with to use the terms coloured?

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
I have demoed the Lampi big 7 against 2 K01s, one with the clock, and it beat them easily. The owners preferred it as well. I have compared my GG to the K01x and the K01 with the clock. The clock guy is planning to move to the Lampi when funds become available - though his planned kid is making him sweat about valves.

I would rather do a shootout of Lampi with Nagra (planned in Jan) and Tdac 12 rather than Esoteric or dCS. Or, if you have that money, Aries Cerat.

You may be right ;) I will test in 10 days the K-01x with my amp+headphone, and I will report here my listening impressions.

I also will try to listen to the VITUS SCD-025 mk2 CD/DAC which is at the same price (anyone heard the VITUS?)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You may be right ;) I will test in 10 days the K-01x with my amp+headphone, and I will report here my listening impressions.

I also will try to listen to the VITUS SCD-025 mk2 CD/DAC which is at the same price (anyone heard the VITUS?)

It's 3 of us who did the compares that are right:). I

heard the Vitus RD 100 which was blown away by metronome. Btw I am a big Vitus class A power amp fan but two others have told me their digital does not match. Check with jazzhead too, he owns the Vitus Class A ano and has experience with their digital

And that too the Vitus dac's built in pre was feeding a Vitus amp, and the metronome was then plugged into the Vitus pre out

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

You also might want to check with Joel on this forum, who is also a 6 moon reviewer, and whom I find very unbiased, why he prefers his Lumin much more to the K03 that he owns

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
You might want to start your own thread. You also did the same on another audio site.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You might want to start your own thread. You also did the same on another audio site.

Yes because same discussion points came up on the other site too.

Reactions: justubes

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Which big 7 or GG (what tube configuration) did you compare with to use the terms coloured?

When did I ever state I heard a Lampizator DAC? I have heard tube DACs and all exhibit that tubey warmth which if I'm so inclined I'd get from an amp or a preamp. I'd rather keep my source as neutral as possible. To each his own...

Also, I've heard TotalDAC, DCS, Aries, MSB, Meitner, Esoteric and others - all excellent and all different. Barring any budget my $ would be spent on the TotalDAC.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
When did I ever state I heard a Lampizator DAC? I have heard tube DACs and all exhibit that tubey warmth which if I'm so inclined I'd get from an amp or a preamp. I'd rather keep my source as neutral as possible. To each his own...

Also, I've heard TotalDAC, DCS, Aries, MSB, Meitner, Esoteric and others - all excellent and all different. Barring any budget my $ would be spent on the TotalDAC.

In that group, I haven't heard the Aries, but yes, I too would spend on total dac in that group

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Sharp1080: Congratulations on your new K-01X! +1 on the vote for discussions of other gear to be on another thread. Don't get me wrong, what's on the thread is valuable feedback but this is not a comparative thread. Enjoy your new player!

Adrian Molina

Jul 9, 2016
Ha bajado el piso de ruido. Mejor enfoque con instrumentos individuales. El único problema es que se necesitan dos para el K-01X. ¡La cubierta superior es de plástico y suena cuando se golpea! Había usado mi otra placa para confirmar mis hallazgos. He pedido otro de Legend Audio.
Utilizo tres placas HRS DPII-14545, de esta manera me queda casi el 100% de la tapa superior de mi Esoteric K01 LE, que de ahora en adelante les cuento que es 100% metal, nada de plástico
Both plates on K-01X.
I use three HRS DPII-14545 plates, in this way I have almost 100% of the top cover of my Esoteric K01 LE left, which from now on I tell you that it is 100% metal, no plastic

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing