On our way to Japan

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Wife and I are headed for Tokyo, Kyoto, Shirakawa-go, Nara, Kanazawa, Takayama, Himeji, and Hakone for 17 days. Should be fun.

Any suggestions on interesting food/restaurants or sights? Probably not doing any audio related stuff but who knows.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Absolutely!!!

Tokyo
Go to "Jumbo" for Yakiniku...a very thinly sliced beef where they cook it at your table...literally takes 3 seconds on each side. Can be mindblowingly good.
Try Tsukji Market in the morning if you like sushi/sashimi
If you want to check out Harijuku for the funky youthful part of Tokyo, next to Omotesando...posh...Harry Winston, etc
Try Pioneer Plaza to hear the all-reference TAD system

Kyoto
Definitely try (if you're a super foodie) the Kyo-ryori dishes in Kyoto which is where they originated...a sampling of many specially prepared foods. But only if you're a super haute foodie (a la Nouvelle Cuisine)

As the Japanese say..."Dozo!" (enjoy)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Headed those parts this Nov , so look forward to the recommendations that follow ... Autumn Leaves !

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
You are heading to some interesting areas. I have been a bit further north this time of year near Akita. The mountains and trees are beautiful.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nothing audio related? The Tokyo show is this weekend! :D

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Wife and I are headed for Tokyo, Kyoto, Shirakawa-go, Nara, Kanazawa, Takayama, Himeji, and Hakone for 17 days. Should be fun.

Any suggestions on interesting food/restaurants or sights? Probably not doing any audio related stuff but who knows.

Not sure if it's on your way, but if ever: Restaurant Concord in Tateyama should reveal a few surprises.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I just returned from 5 days in Tokyo. I hope it cools off for your visit. Japan is a wonderful country, enjoy your trip!!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I come to Japan two three times a year. One of my favorite places for family short visit. I like to take my kid to a park. Now still in time to see blooming Sakura.

Tang

Attachments

• 9DFEE38E-1325-4623-95E8-110D752AAA40.jpeg
    9DFEE38E-1325-4623-95E8-110D752AAA40.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: KeithR

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
These guys make me want to try different foods in Japan. #1 #2 #3 #4

I don't actually eat Sushi and sadly cannot consume regular caffeinated coffee that I love... But I love ramen. We have one place in town that makes really good ramen.

Honestly though, you need to learn how to eat ramen properly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing