The next TWBAS?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
But unhappily I have not found a DAC that performs better than my ARC CD8 in my system for a comparable price. Last week I listened to the crazy priced Metronome Kalista and CDA2 playing CDs and for me it was clearly more musical than anything I listened at 96 or 172 kHz. Surely, this is just a subjective opinion.

Hi Microstrip, I agree with you. I have heard the Metronome Kalista and Kalista Reference, as well as your CD8, the Zanden digital system, Krell 505, ref Wadia, Esoteric X-01 Ltd Edition, and DCS full stack (Elgar plus generation). To date, on the computer side, i have heard system dcustom esigned by the designer of Chord's big server system, Wadia ipod, Sooloos, and expect to hear QSonix (but the dealer already said its not close to good transport). So far, nothing, nothing, nothing i have heard (or heard about) comes close to Kalista, CD8, Esoteric, Wadia reference, or Esoteric. In a no-holds-barred system (equiv to Jeff TWBAS) or upper mid-range (Elipsa, ARC 110), the CD-transports have consistently won on the grounds of absolute musicality to my ears and the ears of every person (include dealers) in the room.

i have to admit...despite owning a Zanden DAC on purpose to eventually buy a server, i have been waiting 3 years and see myself no closer to getting a server. i am almost getting tempted to go for s/hand Esoteric P01 or P70 and then holding back on a server for 5 years.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
In a no-holds-barred system (equiv to Jeff TWBAS) or upper mid-range (Elipsa, ARC 110), the CD-transports have consistently won . . .

Then greater-than-CD-resolution source material was not used. Pure and simply, 24/194 beats the pants off CD. There is simply more data there.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Then greater-than-CD-resolution source material was not used. Pure and simply, 24/194 beats the pants off CD.

Jeff, its your column and no doubt it will be great to read as usual. I will say, with respect, i am not aware of U2 Joshua Tree, Police Synchronicity, Mussorskgy PIctures LSO, Dr. Dre (any album), Muddy Waters Folksinger, or most of my hundreds of CDs being available on 24/194...i admit, it may be out there - so pls let me know where i can find if it is, but as a consumer i find it hard to focus on a system that plays (ONLY) a format which does not give me access to any music that i currently own.

I know you may not wish to do vinyl, R-2-R tape...just to satisfy "everyone"...but if you can (particularly for the $5K system when that consumer is unlikely to be going solely 24./194), it would be apprecaited if we could read about your system in the context of the CD musical format that the vast majority of readers have complete access to.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Jeff, its your column and no doubt it will be great to read as usual. I will say, with respect, i am not aware of U2 Joshua Tree, Police Synchronicity, Mussorskgy PIctures LSO, Dr. Dre (any album), Muddy Waters Folksinger, or most of my hundreds of CDs being available on 24/194...i admit, it may be out there - so pls let me know where i can find if it is, but as a consumer i find it hard to focus on a system that plays (ONLY) a format which does not give me access to any music that i currently own.

I know you may not wish to do vinyl, R-2-R tape...just to satisfy "everyone"...but if you can (particularly for the $5K system when that consumer is unlikely to be going solely 24./194), it would be apprecaited if we could read about your system in the context of the CD musical format that the vast majority of readers have complete access to.

Oh I'm with you. Most of what I listen to for pleasure is CD. But of course this music server plays any file format just fine, including all my CDs. My partner Doug Schneider always reminds me that the CD is just a physical thing. It's the files that are on it that matter. Those files can be housed in many ways, and on many different devices. But CD can't hold 24/192; a computer hard drive can hold 16/44.1 quite easily.

So yes, I listen to "CD" all the time over this system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Got it! Thanks...looking forward to it!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Do you guys mean 24/192 and not 24/194??

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
yes...24/192...my mistake.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing