ARC and vib isolation

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
I have read some opinions that isolation devices are detrimental to ARC gear. Just wondering if my Ref 75Se would benefit from some form of vibration damping. I am interested to hear from anyone who has experimented with this, or anyone who has heard any other opinions about this.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I have read some opinions that isolation devices are detrimental to ARC gear. Just wondering if my Ref 75Se would benefit from some form of vibration damping. I am interested to hear from anyone who has experimented with this, or anyone who has heard any other opinions about this.

Hi newmill, From whom and where did you read such opinions? I am curious to that statement from other owners. What gear was used and what the isolation device did to change would be helpful instead of just "detrimental". I use HRS isolation bases and stands and each step has improved my Audio Research Ref5 SE. It improved the background information and lower level detail by lowering the noise floor. The changes will depend on your room, the floors, and walls. If they contribute and they all do when listening, the isolation devices help reduce that interaction to all equipment not just ARC gear.

number95

May 14, 2014

Any audio equipment will benefit from vibration control, it is critical. For sure your Ref 75se will be happier if sitting on a proper isolation platform, if that is what you ask. If you ask for some brands to name, when I had my Ref 610Ts amps, I have tried Acapella Fondato Silenzio and Pagode Master Reference and preferred Acapella. Then several years later, I replaced them with SRA, it performed much better.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have found that isolation devices do not help the sound on either my Ref5SE or Ref 2 Phono. I use a fairly basic but nice looking Salamander Designs Synergy Twin shelf.

I have tried a wide variety of footers including Vibrapods, Nordost Sort Kones, spikes, etc. I have not tried Pagode or HRS stands or SRA shelves.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I have referred before - my Audio Research REF150 sounded better on my very solid wood floor than on a Pagode Reference isolation device.
Most times I have found that isolation devices changed the sound of ARC equipment, but did not improve it.

number95

May 14, 2014
I have referred before - my Audio Research REF150 sounded better on my very solid wood floor than on a Pagode Reference isolation device.
Most times I have found that isolation devices changed the sound of ARC equipment, but did not improve it.

Hello Microstrip,

Quite interesting. I have had different experiences. Perhaps it may be system dependent ie overall impact might be different. One note perhaps, proper isolation should improve overall performance of any gear, that said it should be also considered not only what it adds or strengthens but also what it deducts or removes from the sound as artifacts and distortion led issues.

rhyno

Dec 29, 2010
my 150se works far better on a BDR shelf
my Ref 5se works far better on a BDR source
and my CD9 works WAY better on a star sounds platform

so whoever is saying they don't need isolation is frankly kidding themselves. every component needs it

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello Microstrip,

Quite interesting. I have had different experiences. Perhaps it may be system dependent ie overall impact might be different. One note perhaps, proper isolation should improve overall performance of any gear, that said it should be also considered not only what it adds or strengthens but also what it deducts or removes from the sound as artifacts and distortion led issues.

We have two conflicting paths for mechanical energy in equipment - energy created in the device by power transformers and components should be drained from the equipment and vibration coming from the ground that enters the equipment. Isolation affects both paths.

There are many variables in the equation - type of floor, quality of mains, type of equipment, type of isolator and user preference. IMHO it is impossible to have general rules - each case must be taken separately.

number95

May 14, 2014
We have two conflicting paths for mechanical energy in equipment - energy created in the device by power transformers and components should be drained from the equipment and vibration coming from the ground that enters the equipment. Isolation affects both paths.

There are many variables in the equation - type of floor, quality of mains, type of equipment, type of isolator and user preference. IMHO it is impossible to have general rules - each case must be taken separately.

I see your points. Well in my case (carpet floor) it has been a must ;-)

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Have airborne vibrations been addressed?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Have airborne vibrations been addressed?

Theoretically airborne vibrations are enemies of isolation devices - this type of energy should be drained to ground efficiently, otherwise it can affect sound quality. We can consider ground as an enormous damper. Some isolation devices also have high mass and can act as such.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

Not just these two: there's also: vibrations caused within the equipment affecting other parts of the same equipment that needs to be addressed as well as any air-borne ones.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not just these two: there's also: vibrations caused within the equipment affecting other parts of the same equipment that needs to be addressed as well as any air-borne ones.

Yes, people owning cats that love to lounge on warm amplifiers should avoid isolation devices! ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing